Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    They stated the functionality was rough on servers and asked people to use it sparingly and not abuse it in addons. So of course a troll goes ahead and creates an addon that extensively uses it for whatever selfish purpose imaginable. Naturally the servers start to become bricked and subsequently the functionality is removed.
    This is why we can't have nice things and everything has limits on it. Because of the tiny minority that's got nothing between their ears and are deadset on proving that fact to others.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    They stated the functionality was rough on servers and asked people to use it sparingly and not abuse it in addons. So of course a troll goes ahead and creates an addon that extensively uses it for whatever selfish purpose imaginable. Naturally the servers start to become bricked and subsequently the functionality is removed.
    This is why we can't have nice things and everything has limits on it. Because of the tiny minority that's got nothing between their ears and are deadset on proving that fact to others.
    [citation needed]

I like ClassicCensusPlus but there is no reason it should be set to auto-run every 30 minutes.

On a max-capacity server it takes almost 30 minutes to finish, meaning it would just be running continuously.

I manually start one when I come online and maybe one more time after prime time ends because I’m curious how many toons are on.

If the mod author had just changed default behavior to run once every six hours it’d ave been fine. And with the number of people running it the data on wowpop would be just as accurate.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    A troll creates an addon? The addon literally has existed for 15 years (or close to now). People just started using it a lot more.

On the bright side they just broke all of the mods that search for unguilded people for you to spam invite to your toxic guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

LMFAO. I can't believe people are defending this add-on. The information it provided was inaccurate. You'd have a case if it did anything useful but right now the only thing it did was fuel the same type of shitty arguments people like to use subscriber numbers to support.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    LMFAO. I can't believe people are defending this add-on. The information it provided was inaccurate. You'd have a case if it did anything useful but right now the only thing it did was fuel the same type of shitty arguments people like to use subscriber numbers to support.
    Again, the addon itself always gave accurate numbers. What you refer to as inaccurate are 3rd party aggregates created from many reports collected from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Again, the addon itself always gave accurate numbers. What you refer to as inaccurate are 3rd party aggregates created from many reports collected from it.
    Please, I beg of you. How do you know the add-on was accurate? When has Blizzard ever released the actual populations on realms for us to check the veracity of the information the add-on provided? Oh, that's right. Never.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please, I beg of you. How do you know the add-on was accurate? When has Blizzard ever released the actual populations on realms for us to check the veracity of the information the add-on provided? Oh, that's right. Never.
    It's ok, just admit you have no idea how the addon works; or the ability to think outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    ZZzzzzzzz. Stop.
    None of us knows why Blizzard decided to make that part of the API private. They haven't commented on it. So all you and me can do is wildly speculate. What's the fucking point? Let's just wait and see what they say? Is it "load on backend databases" or "in accurate results used in conspiracies" or something totally else like "oops, holy shit did that go in production?".

Who knows? Not you.
    Or that it puts too much stress on the server AND they don't want server populations to get out... if they cared they could easily release those numbers. I don't see an issue with know how the faction balance is looking..

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAForLife View Post
    It's ok, just admit you have no idea how the addon works; or the ability to think outside the box.
    Is "thinking outside the box" synonymous with "believing bullshit internet conspiracy theories"?

By extension, wouldn't it also be impossible to know if the results are inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    By extension, wouldn't it also be impossible to know if the results are inaccurate?
    Reasons conspiracy theories exist for $1,000, Alex.

Just because you can't prove one way or another doesn't mean an assertion is accurate. You can guess, and I'll throw you a bone and say that with the add-on it might even be an educated guess, but until there's a control to compare your results with you are doing nothing other than guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAForLife View Post
    Considering I wrote a similar addon back when private servers were popular, I have a pretty good understanding of how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Because there's never been reason to believe that /who results are incomplete as nobody ever found evidence that any results are filtered. Considering it lists all possible combinations of /who searches, it must by definition find every single player online at the point of query. The other way to do is to enumerate every alphabetical combination of allowed characters in a name to discover all searches <50 results, which is what I did in my version of the addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I believe it is. Back when the servers used to crash a lot, your position would be rolled back a few seconds to a few minutes even though all other data that requires db writes (looted items etc) were up to date. This leads me to believe that the server periodically stores your position in the character database, as your position isn't persisted at the time of the crash (which would be the case if the positions were saved from a memory dump during a crash).
    Wrong. Your position is persisted at the time of the crash. in programming domain we call it "preemptive hook". If server recieves 500 (not responding) from client, last position claimed from server (running wow server application) RAM which refresh every 30/60 sec is stored to DB. This DB runs apart from wow server for performance purposes. Every loot and quest progression are registers to DB ofc (for QoL purposes, nobody cares when you are logged 50 yards away from where you logout/crashed, but when you loose epic drop because of dc...). Position and debuffs/buffs are stored ONLY when you log out or dc/crash.

Rule number one. Use DB only if you need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Probably because that information is wildly inaccurate and used to spin up wild forum conspiracies that people actually take seriously. A bit like getting Trump elected started as a SA troll.
    It can't be inaccurate. It's actually as accurate as possible, because it precisely enumerates all online players. You can't get more accurate than that without access to Blizzard character database. If you spent a week playing with addon enabled and enough online, you'll have your entire faction enumerated.

Though this approach is not broken. You just have to use clicker which will provide that "player interaction".

Reasons conspiracy theories exist for $1,000, Alex.

Just because you can't prove one way or another doesn't mean an assertion is accurate. You can guess, and I'll throw you a bone and say that with the add-on it might even be an educated guess, but until there's a control to compare your results with you are doing nothing other than guessing.
    Then maybe calling them wildly inaccurate is pretty silly.

I don't think anyone here thinks the results are 100% accurate to the number, but they can show some clear trends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daerellin View Post
    I'm not an addon writer, so forgive my ignorance, but: aren't the results that you upload to the site easily modifiable? I edited the resultant .lua in notepad easily enough :/ But again, no idea how the site parses this data.
    Yes, you should trust only your own data.

Though website probably accounts character if he's uploaded by multiple people. I would program it that way, anyway.

But the best approach would be to have trusted users who don't mess with data and don't accept data from strangers. Or run your own bots which will click buttons and collect statistics in virtual machines.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    But the best approach would be to have trusted users who don't mess with data and don't accept data from strangers. Or run your own bots which will click buttons and collect statistics in virtual machines.
    Sadly that would be quite a costly endeavor that an ad or two on the website likely wouldn't cover. Not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Then maybe calling them wildly inaccurate is pretty silly.

I don't think anyone here thinks the results are 100% accurate to the number, but they can show some clear trends.
    I never said it was "wildly inaccurate." I said it was inaccurate. And I don't see how inaccurate data has any place in discussions where factual information is pertinent. Simply put, if it was information Blizzard wanted us to know, they'd make it known. If they're actively preventing players from knowing it (or, in this case... guessing about it), there's a reason: We don't need to know it.

End of story. End of discussion.