"Increases dmg and heal done by ... effects by up to X" vs Pure stats?

When do I know a pure stat is better?

For example this, a ring "increases dmg and heal up to 13" vs a +9 intellect?

How does this increase dmg done work really?

5+ Year Old Account
    Intellect gives you no spellpower whatsoever. It gives you more mana and crit.

If you're a mage or a warlock spellpower is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Intellect gives you no spellpower whatsoever. It gives you more mana and crit.

If you're a mage or a warlock spellpower is far better.
    Ah so its spellpower.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about for healing? A good mixture of both Intellect + Spirit as well as spellpower/"increases spell effects/healing by ___" stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Alempa View Post
    How does this increase dmg done work really?
    The only other "hidden" effect here is that it is applied per cast time.

IIRC 3.5 second casts get 100% of the benefit of +spell damage. Everything else gets reduced amounts based on the cast time to a minimum of 1.5 seconds which would be just under half what you get from the item. Cast time reductions do not affect this calculation and furthermore, there is also a major reduction if +dmg/healing benefits on spell ranks below level 20.

This is why druids use rank 4 healing touch and not rank 1 or something like that. It is a lvl 20 spell that gets proper benefit from +healing items as per it's 2.5? second cast time. Not really applicable to dps but probably worth knowing.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

IIRC 3.5 second casts get 100% of the benefit of +spell damage. Everything else gets reduced amounts based on the cast time to a minimum of 1.5 seconds which would be just under half what you get from the item. Cast time reductions do not affect this calculation and furthermore, there is also a major reduction if +dmg/healing benefits on spell ranks below level 20.

This is why druids use rank 4 healing touch and not rank 1 or something like that. It is a lvl 20 spell that gets proper benefit from +healing items as per it's 2.5? second cast time. Not really applicable to dps but probably worth knowing.
    as a druid in actual vanilla, i didnt use rank 4 HT as a rule. i used whatever allowed to get a certain amount of throughput based on the healer power i had at the time. something like 2k health per cast or so. so as the expansion went on and my gear got better, i dropped ranks slowly. i dont if i ever got down to 4, though. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    How about for healing? A good mixture of both Intellect + Spirit as well as spellpower/"increases spell effects/healing by ___" stats?
    Even on a healer, +Healing is extremely valueable because it makes downranking more attractive.

Obviously, Healers like Priest or Druid can stack a lot of spirit and thus boost their mana regeneration, but Shaman doesn't want this at all, you want Mp5 and +heal.
    Pally also doesn't give a shit about spirit, they however can accept a shitload of int on an item as it increases spell crit, which is valueable to pallies.

But generally speaking +Healing > primary stats.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    as a druid in actual vanilla, i didnt use rank 4 HT as a rule. i used whatever allowed to get a certain amount of throughput based on the healer power i had at the time. something like 2k health per cast or so. so as the expansion went on and my gear got better, i dropped ranks slowly. i dont if i ever got down to 4, though. maybe.
    With HT4 you also never ran out of mana and had always room for using Regrowth or higher HTs when needed. HT4 was a really nice "spam and forget" spell with enough healing for 90% of the situations.

What about overtime dmg/healing? From what my priest friend tells me, the tooltip does not consider and modifiers to damage and healing. Wonder if there is an add-on/site that calculates the actual output.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What about overtime dmg/healing? From what my priest friend tells me, the tooltip does not consider and modifiers to damage and healing. Wonder if there is an add-on/site that calculates the actual output.
    There was an addon at least for 1.12 client/private servers. Not sure if it ever got re-done/ported to Classic.

This is what I remember too, for single-target direct spells. The amount applied was directly proportional to the spell too; i.e. a spell with cast time of 2 sec would have 2/3.5 of your spellpower applied (~57.14%).

I believe for HOTs/DOTs it was based on a spell with a duration of 15 seconds would get 100% spellpower; shorter ones would have less total contribution, though since I believe most periodic spells ticked once every 3 seconds, then it would usually be 20% of spellpower applied to each tick. I don't know if this was also the case with durations longer than 15 sec.

AoEs had reduced amounts too, and I so don't remember the details for spells that were part direct and part periodic, like Regrowth or Moonfire, let alone Flamestrike..

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    It was just a quick heal to top people off sort of like priest flash heal especially since only the druid in the raid with the most +spell healing can actually rejuv reliably. I am sure it was healing for 800ish with my MC/ZG gear that was pretty +spell healing and mp5 focused. Generally I relied on stop casting for tank healing. rank 4 was a very popular idea among druids at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Again iirc, the rule here is that the damage is spread over 5 ticks. ie priest renew(15 seconds) gets full +healing and druid rejuv gets only 80% for 4 ticks. I remember having a discussion about the idea renew might actually be better than rejuv even though druids were the "HoT" healers. I am sure it is the same for dot as well and yeah I don't think that any of this is reflected in the tooltip, that was a pretty late addition to the game, maybe not even in BC.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.