Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You realize this is the literal definition of a conspiracy theory, right? The absence of proof isn't proof.

Look dude, I'm sorry you feel so entitled to know how many players are playing on any given server. I'm sure if you had this information, you'd do all sorts of non-conspiracy nonsense like try to insinuate that Classic is more popular than retail or claim that servers are "dead." No, of course not! Because why else would you want it? What use is this information to a normal player?

Meanwhile, back here in reality, nobody really gives a shit. The only thing the add-on was ever good for is helping approximate faction balance but if you're gonna roll on a PvP server that's a risk you take.
    You just said end of discussion, right?

You don't have proof of anything, and conspiracy theories aren't allowed here, so.... But seriously, you cannot call them inaccurate without knowing that. Otherwise you are literally just making shit up.

Why exactly should I not be allowed to know these numbers? 'Blizzard said so" is not a reason.

I also said none of those things, faction imbalance has literally been something I have said these numbers are good for if you actually take your foot out of your mouth and read - so please kindly read before you drool all over the keyboard, or post at me again.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You just said end of discussion, right?

You don't have proof of anything, and conspiracy theories aren't allowed here, so.... But seriously, you cannot call them inaccurate without knowing that. Otherwise you are literally just making shit up.
    So, me accusing you of attempting to propagate a conspiracy theory... is a conspiracy theory? Consider my mind officially blown.

Why exactly should I not be allowed to know these numbers? 'Blizzard said so" is not a reason.
    Yes, it is. If you can't accept that answer then there's no point in continuing this discussion.

And finally,

I also said none of those things, faction imbalance has literally been something I have said these numbers are good for if you actually take your foot out of your mouth and read - so please kindly read before you drool all over the keyboard, or post at me again.

Thanks.
    I never said that you said those things. In fact, I said the opposite. (See: "No, of course not!") But here's the important part: There isn't a legitimate reason to have the information further than (maybe) trending faction balance and even then it's not something vitally important to the average player.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-09-23 at 12:59 AM.

I have never heard or seen someone call them absolute truth.
    Then you haven't read this thread. Lot of absolute idiots in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    What was Blizzards ETA till we can do a /who again?
    Works for me just fine, try disabling all addons and if it works then, it's one of your addons. (You can try on different toon on a different server so you don't mess up your addon on/off settings)

So, me accusing you of attempting to propagate a conspiracy theory... is a conspiracy theory? Consider my mind officially blown.

Yes, it is. If you can't accept that answer then there's no point in continuing this discussion.

And finally,

I never said that you said those things. In fact, I said the opposite. (See: "No, of course not!") But here's the important part: There isn't a legitimate reason to have the information further than (maybe) trending faction balance and even then it's not something vitally important to the average player.
    So your answer is "nuh uhn!!" ... got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Then you haven't read this thread. Lot of absolute idiots in here.
    Can you show me?

So your answer is "nuh uhn!!" ... got it.
    I've actually asked you repeatedly to justify your stance but you seem content in sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming, "nah nah nah, I can't hear you!" While somewhat adorable, this elementary level of deflection is pretty unseemly. As this seems to be a comprehension issue at this point, let me slow it down and spell it out for you:

Please list the reasons the average WoW player needs to know this information.

I'll wait.

Bonus points will be awarded if you can justify the strain this add-on places in Blizzard's backend server infrastructure.

And while we're waiting I'd like to use this opportunity to remind you, yet again, that the people who program the game -- you know, the devs -- get to decide whether information gleaned from players through add-ons is relevant. Since we're on a knowledge quest already I will go ahead and leave this right here in case you ever want to read up on the precedent behind this.

Anyway, good luck! I will patiently await your findings!

I've actually asked you repeatedly to justify your stance but you seem content in sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming, "nah nah nah, I can't hear you!" While somewhat adorable, this elementary level of deflection is pretty unseemly. As this seems to be a comprehension issue at this point, let me slow it down and spell it out for you:

Please list the reasons the average WoW player needs to know this information.

I'll wait.

Bonus points will be awarded if you can justify the strain this add-on places in Blizzard's backend server infrastructure.

And while we're waiting I'd like to use this opportunity to remind you, yet again, that the people who program the game -- you know, the devs -- get to decide whether information gleaned from players through add-ons is relevant. Since we're on a knowledge quest already I will go ahead and leave this right here in case you ever want to read up on the precedent behind this.

Anyway, good luck! I will patiently await your findings!
    Using constant fallacies doesn't really make you correct, and it makes you look ill-informed instead of more intelligent. You put words in my mouth, you accuse me of things I am not doing, and you just yell nuh uhn instead of actually making any real argument or point.

You have made the original claim and have done nothing to credit your own claim.

You have in this thread and others shown your bias in more than one way.

Thanks for your non-reply.

Thanks for your non-reply.
    What a strangely self-aware response.

Early on, the rabid classic fans (not all, just some) used any measure they could to show classics complete and ever lasting dominance over retail. Some even felt it necessary to use #viewing on MMO-C forums as a measure, and laughed how the Classic forum had more people viewing when compared to retail.

Currently, Retail has over DOUBLE what classic has, and we are not even 6 weeks in. What does this mean? Does it mean everyone was right and the luster has already worn off? Does it mean the rose tinted glasses are cracking? Does it mean people have left classic and joined retail? Or does it simply mean that anything can be 'proven' if you try hard enough and only look at data that supports your agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    The addon itself does exactly what it advertises - it enumerates everyone on your faction online at the time of scan. Aggregates are inaccurate, but not useless.
    no it doesnt and was always pretty much useless as who gives back a max of 50 people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    no it doesnt and was always pretty much useless as who gives back a max of 50 people.
    Guess you don't know much how addons work.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Guess you don't know much how addons work.
    guess you dont know anything about the wow api.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
    It wasn't a stress to the servers in any way. You see people and mobs around you and your client constantly receives and requests much more data from the server: their guild, what are they casting, what their level is, a whole bunch of data. Just an example: 3 hrs raid combat log is about 1 GB large. Full scan of server using "who" is about 1 MB. Yes, it's not always about the data size, but people been using census addons on retail for ages. Blizzard never complained about it.

The data gathered by the addon was super accurate. That is why Blizzard don't like it. They don't want this data to be available to the public. As an example, after using addon for about a week my scans rarely find new players. For about 3-5k online players each scan added only 20-50 new players.

So, they made "who" call protected. This changes nothing. I think and hope the addon will be updated to include a button which you will have to hit to run each "who" request (this is how protected functions work in addons). The data will become less accurate, because most of players won't do that. There still will be dedicated players who will continue using addon.
    Let me guess, you know all this because your dad is an engineer at Blizzard and told you?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    guess you dont know anything about the wow api.
    No, you have no idea about wow api or any logic at that.

/who z-"Darnassus" 7-13 will return all characters between level 7 - 13 in Darnassus on your current layer.
    Remove the "z-" and you will get all the characters in Darnassus across all the layers.
    You can do even more complex queries such as "/who n-lis z-"Ironforge" r-"Human" c-"Priest" 30-40" but I bet you didn't know that since you didn't ever touch nor reed WoW Api.
    Last edited by Shaqur; 2019-10-01 at 07:31 AM.

Anyone know if theres any update on whether or not the mode will be updated to work again?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Early on, the rabid classic fans (not all, just some) used any measure they could to show classics complete and ever lasting dominance over retail. Some even felt it necessary to use #viewing on MMO-C forums as a measure, and laughed how the Classic forum had more people viewing when compared to retail.

Currently, Retail has over DOUBLE what classic has, and we are not even 6 weeks in. What does this mean? Does it mean everyone was right and the luster has already worn off? Does it mean the rose tinted glasses are cracking? Does it mean people have left classic and joined retail? Or does it simply mean that anything can be 'proven' if you try hard enough and only look at data that supports your agenda?
    It means that retail is terrible, if a 15 years old game managed to overshadow it, even for 1 second. Also the reason retail has so many discussions is the ending with Sylvanas. They are pretty angry discussions, not anything full of excitement and hope for the future. It kinda sucks overall, looks like Cata 2.0 to me.