Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

SuperData: WoW subscription revenue grew an estimated 223% - Can we trust this site?

According to the site "Super Data"

https://www.superdataresearch.com/wo...-games-market/

WoW Classic drives a huge jump in subscribers. World of Warcraft subscription revenue grew an estimated 223% in August compared to July. Despite this, total revenue was still lower than the Battle for Azeroth expansion last August.
    Question is...how did they get this information? And how much can we trust this site?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say no. A few years ago they published an article--that may still be up as far as I know--that compared revenues in a quarter when Blizzard wasn't releasing anything with WoW with revenues in a quarter where they were selling and releasing a new expansion. Upshot was that Blizzard was in serious trouble because WoW was under-performing. It was laughably stupid. I can do that with any retail business by comparing 4th quarter sales (including Christmas) with sales in basically any other quarter.

Anyway, their little summary says 'estimated' which can mean anything.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'd say no. A few years ago they published an article--that may still be up as far as I know--that compared revenues in a quarter when Blizzard wasn't releasing anything with WoW with revenues in a quarter where they were selling and releasing a new expansion. Upshot was that Blizzard was in serious trouble because WoW was under-performing. It was laughably stupid. I can do that with any retail business by comparing 4th quarter sales (including Christmas) with sales in basically any other quarter.

Anyway, their little summary says 'estimated' which can mean anything.
    Yeah, thats what i thought...i was hoping someone was knowledgeable enought to know the resources of this specific site.

I find this extremely hard to believe.
    It was a topic of dicsussion in the past if WoW Classic would be able to bring many new subscriber OR only already paying subs would play classic.
    223% new subs...is insane. More than triple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Yeah, thats what i thought...i was hoping someone was knowledgeable enought to know the resources of this specific site.

I find this extremely hard to believe.
    It was a topic of dicsussion in the past if WoW Classic would be able to bring many new subscriber OR only already paying subs would play classic.
    223% new subs...is insane. More than triple.
    I don't know why the revenue numbers would be innacurate, they should be obtainable online.

We don't know what the 223% increase is though, I would think it's mostly connected to the Classic subs, but would need more info.

I also subbed for 6 months in August, so I'm sure 6 months of my sub would be covered in this revenue increase.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2019-09-23 at 06:09 PM.

If its not from blizzard themselves then no use reading it. They have no possible way of telling and doublechecking

The increase is month-to-month, not overall, which makes the estimate very reasonable.

Edit: SuperData is Nielsen, not, like, a blog. Methodology here.
    Last edited by Celarent; 2019-09-23 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    According to the site "Super Data"

https://www.superdataresearch.com/wo...-games-market/

Question is...how did they get this information? And how much can we trust this site?
    How did they get this information? They didn't. Not really. They take random data that they monitor themselves and speculate. But since they don't work for Blizzard, there is 100% no way for them to have accurate information.

Well the servers sure have been bustling in Classic, lots of people doing all sorts of things. For every thousandth new subscriber in WoW classic a Retail player seems to come to this forum to make we know why we should hate it. That it's bad and that we are bad for liking it.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

10+ Year Old Account
    Nielsen company. You can trust it.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    The increase is month-to-month, not overall, which makes the estimate very reasonable.

Edit: SuperData is Nielsen, not, like, a blog. Methodology here.
    That's a really long way of saying, "we fucking guessed it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    That's a really long way of saying, "we fucking guessed it."
    They estimated based on Data, this is not exactly a guess. Nielsen is pretty through usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    They estimated based on Data, this is not exactly a guess. Nielsen is pretty through usually.
    A guess based on data is still a guess.

Ah, data. You know, that thing that can't be qualified because Blizzard has given us approximately zero information about subscriber levels or even how they calculate revenue. The article in the OP is essentially saying, "We compared last month's guess with this month's guess and noticed an increase." And hey, that's fine. Maybe they're super fucking good at guessing because reasons. But it's still guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, data. You know, that thing that can't be qualified because Blizzard has given us approximately zero information about subscriber levels or even how they calculate revenue. The article in the OP is essentially saying, "We compared last month's guess with this month's guess and noticed an increase." And hey, that's fine. Maybe they're super fucking good at guessing because reasons. But it's still guessing.
    Thats is an incredible condescending way to treat a multibillion dollar company that made it's name by researching and digging up data.

They have access to info that you don't have. Being a skeptic is fine, but this company usually gets trustworthy data.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    A guess based on data is still a guess.
    A guess based on data and a study is still better than a regular guess. And also tends to be way more accurate.

Thats is an incredible condescending way to treat a multibillion dollar company that made it's name by researching and digging up data.

They have access to info that you don't have. Being a skeptic is fine, but this company usually gets trustworthy data.

A guess based on data and a study is still better than a regular guess. And also tends to be way more accurate.
    A multi-billion dollar company that has skeptics in the industry its known for: Television ratings. At least there you have Nielsen families with tangible hardware which monitors how people watch TV. Am I to believe that there's a Nielsen box that monitors how people purchase video games?

Imo, it's more likely this company is attempting to establish (by way of its association with Nielsen) itself as a baseline metric in the relatively untapped corner of performance speculation in the video game sector. The fact that this article is pure clickbait would seemingly back up that claim as the assertion made in the title of the article is left entirely up to the reader to believe. Really, all it's saying is that Classic is doing well which anybody could have deduced without bullshit imaginary numbers to back it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    A multi-billion dollar company that has skeptics in the industry its known for: Television ratings. At least there you have Nielsen families with tangible hardware which monitors how people watch TV. Am I to believe that there's a Nielsen box that monitors how people purchase video games?

Imo, it's more likely this company is attempting to establish (by way of its association with Nielsen) itself as a baseline metric in the relatively untapped corner of performance speculation in the video game sector. The fact that this article is pure clickbait would seemingly back up that claim as the assertion made in the title of the article is left entirely up to the reader to believe. Really, all it's saying is that Classic is doing well which anybody could have deduced without bullshit imaginary numbers to back it up.
    It's known for several other things too, and it is, overall, respected. This is a serious company and you are treating them like a random blogger. The article is vague because they sell the full report, therefore they cannot do a deep dive on the subject. They get a lot of info you don't get.

Ofc they might be wrong, but they don't spout nonsense out of nowhere, they have a lot of data and algorithms to back that up. Discrediting them because "Not blizzard, therefore a guess" is not really fair or factual.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    How did they get this information? They didn't. Not really. They take random data that they monitor themselves and speculate. But since they don't work for Blizzard, there is 100% no way for them to have accurate information.
    This is not a comment about if the data is from a reputable source. I wouldn't know. But it is entirely feasable that a third party would be able to analyse the data available to them and come up with a very reasonable prediction or estimate. You have to remember that the people that do this do it for a living. They are highly educated and use data modelling with sophisticated software. If they were more wrong than right they wouldn't be in business. There are trillions of dollars at stake. To brush off anything because it isn't from the original source is just stupid. You can trust third party data if the third party has a good track record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    This is not a comment about if the data is from a reputable source. I wouldn't know. But it is entirely feasable that a third party would be able to analyse the data available to them and come up with a very reasonable prediction or estimate. You have to remember that the people that do this do it for a living. They are highly educated and use data modelling with sophisticated software. If they were more wrong than right they wouldn't be in business. There are trillions of dollars at stake. To brush off anything because it isn't from the original source is just stupid. You can trust third party data if the third party has a good track record.
    A lot of third party sites have an agenda as well and will push alleged calculations to further than agenda. There is no such thing as a truly reliable third party source, in my eyes. But maybe that's just me being cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Logician View Post
    I don't know if its trustworthy, but it agrees with what a lot were saying. That there were going to be a lot of people interested in Classic, but not as much as an xpac release. And it says that the current xpac's numbers aren't so hot.
    Not to mention that there seems to be a ton of advertising for Classic for the past month (I mean, they're still putting out promotional "interview" ads even today with the Alex Afrazalrbiwhatever person.

I'd be surprised if it was only 223% increase honestly.