Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Varian Wrynn the best WoW-written character?

I would say an argument could be made that he is. Note, I mean, WORLD OF WARCRAFT, not Warcraft II, not Warcraft III, WoW the MMO. You hear a lot about how Blizzard famously butchered great characters like Illidan, Kael'thas, Deathwing, Thrall, Garrosh, Grommash, and most recently, Anduin, Sylvanas and Saurfang (Baine was always awful IMO.)

We got an Illidan redemption story, and we read threads all the time about people wanting Kael'thas back... yet, we never get Varian resurrection threads, which is a good thing, right? Aside from the Knaak stuff, he was probably the best written character in the game. Suffered loss of his father as a child, his city was sacked by Orcs, he was Thrall's slave, was blessed by a Demi-God, bad ass gladiator, lost his wife, came back to re-claim his kingdom, was able to raise his son, was hateful towards Orcs but learned to let go of his hate, killed Onyxia, and finally died heroically, for the Alliance. Even if you don't like Varian, is there really a notable WoW character who has been written better?

Tirion was only prominent for one expansion. Khadgar's journey isn't over yet. I can't think of one, can YOU?

I wouldnt say hes the best, id honestly say Arthas is the best, its a matter of opinion, Varian is definately good and the alliance needed a hardass, and he went out like a champ, and will be remembered far more than his son. Im just an Arthas fangirl and loved his story in the book, WC3 and the frozen throne expansion, and his story bits in WoW was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I wouldnt say hes the best, id honestly say Arthas is the best, its a matter of opinion, Varian is definately good and the alliance needed a hardass, and he went out like a champ, and will be remembered far more than his son. Im just an Arthas fangirl and loved his story in the book, WC3 and the frozen throne expansion, and his story bits in WoW was great.
    To be fair, a brunt of Arthas' story was told in Warcraft III, Varian is more of a WoW character, Arthas' story was just finished in the MMO but most of the important stuff was told in the RTS. Wrath spent almost all of its time recapping WCIII.

Call him a cliche character as much as you want but in my book, no character came even close to Arthas

7+ Year Old Account
    hell no, not even close, he was basically the alliance thrall, fighting in orchish arenas like Thrall fights were worse, He was very good until they decide to anime him with night elf demigod power Level, that no one else had

him being THE LION, and suddenly becoming the avatar of a WOLF god still pisses me off to this very day.

Did you read the godawful comics he was in or Wolfheart? He's fucking atrocious.

5+ Year Old Account
    I simply cannot take him and his "high king" BS seriously, especially with that awful anime haircut. He was the beginning of the Human Potential plague, which is even worse than freaking blight (from a narrative viewpoint, that is).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Arthas is the best Warcraft character. If we're talking about just WoW its probably Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I simply cannot take him and his "high king" BS seriously, especially with that awful anime haircut. He was the beginning of the Human Potential plague, which is even worse than freaking blight (from a narrative viewpoint, that is).
    This guy gets it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do we even know varian is dead? I mean did you see him die? Last time I checked we saw green fel magic coursing through his veins and it looked like he was going to explode. "Look" and "Are" are quite different and can lead to twists.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    How do we even know varian is dead? I mean did you see him die? Last time I checked we saw green fel magic coursing through his veins and it looked like he was going to explode. "Look" and "Are" are quite different and can lead to twists.
    I think there was a blue post by blizz saying he was gone. :P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even close.

He ded

Varian had a good story, but it didn't connect in quite the same way that Bolvar's sacrifice at the Wrathgate did. The redemption of Darion Mograine was pretty good too.

Best written character/story within WoW? Pamela Redpath - nothing else comes close to the emotional range required for that questline

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Best written character/story within WoW? Pamela Redpath - nothing else comes close to the emotional range required for that questline
    I've seen a great many things that cause a man to wonder
    I've seen a great many things that can tear a man's heart asunder
    But the day that will not let me go, it haunts me to my burning soul
    Is the day I found Pamela wandering Darrowshire

Can you help me find my dolly? I left her by the window sill
    Have you seen my daddy? I think he went off to war
    And can you tell my family I've been missing them for oh so very long
    Ask them why'd they leave me here alone in Darrowshire

I bring word from your sister, she's alive and well in Winterspring
    Here I found your dolly, it's up to you to keep her safe
    And your father's coming home again. The war for him is over
    And your spirits once again may be at rest in Darrowshire

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Someone didn't do Runas' quests
    I did, but little Pamela's story hit like a truck. Runas annoyed me for some reason though

He's one of the only characters not ruined by shit Blizzard writing, that's for sure. And he died like a badass. So, again, there's that.

Him, Velen, Gul'dan, Kil'jaeden, and Khadgar are the only Warcraft Characters Blizzard didn't fully butcher.

- - - Updated - - -

EVERY FUCKING THING EVER CLAIMS HE'S DEAD! Also, you can literally see his skull, as well as his boost in the Broken Shore, at the exact place where he got pow wow'd (literally) by Gul'dan.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go. @crakerjack

The Human Potential Plague exaggerated from one line from one quest that rampant children on this forum can't get over? When will the people spouting "human potential lul" realise you just look immature to be honest
    It became a meme because of years and years of Blizzard making humans better than every other race. If it was just that 1 quest on the PTR then no one would have given a shit. The line just perfectly encapsulated what people were frustrated with in the story for years. That's why it caught on.

finally someone else who likes Khadgar, he's awesome
    Who the hell doesn't like Khadgar? He's one of the only people in WoW that put Jaina in her place. Hell, I daresay he's far more badass than her (Though, people for some reason disagree, despite the fact that Khadgar is older, more experienced, and has gone through much more than Jaina. And yes, that includes him being above that Lei'shen boost Jaina got, as well).

He also make some amazing Old Man jokes, as well as memes.

For example: "Me and the Boys boutta ruin the Dark Titan's reign" and it just shows Illidan, Velen, Khadgar, and the Player riding a limo and shit being badass. God, I miss them. We made the best Quartet.

The badass gladiator (supposedly), speared from behind by a random rank and file felguard.