View Poll Results: Would you like to have new character models in classic WoW?

Voters
351. This poll is closed
  • Yes

172 49.00%
  • No

179 51.00%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    There's no compromise. Old models are part of Classic. It's a VIDEO game. Not to mention most new models - but esprecially the nelf ones - are an abomination. If that keeps you from playing Classic, seriously,...

Just fyi: video comes from the Latin, meaning "we see".

No, they want no change because they like the older version of the game better. Including graphics. More pixels doesn't always translate into superior art.
    And you wouldn't see them. You can like the older version better *and* play with them without seeing the updated models. That's the whole point.

And "no compromises"? Why on earth is this your attitude? You want to play the game the way you like and you want others to play the game the way you like? How on earth is this not just an extremely selfish and entitled attitude? Why do you get to decide what's on the screens of other people?

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    As a Tauren player, I adamantly disagree. That upgrade was one of the best things to happen to me.

Subjective opinions are subjective.
    yes when tauren were turned into full fledged furries

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I really don't see the point, I mean the whole reason to play Classic is to see how horrible everything used to be.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I know this is all subjective, but... no. In fact I feel like one of the things holding back the new models from being all they could be is the fact Blizzard felt the need to slavishly recreate the look of the old models, some of which should've just been binned and redesigned from scratch.

A lot of those models looked crap even at the time. Blizzard's never been exactly cutting edge on graphics.

They managed to ruin every hair option for every race. Ever looked at the hair of a fem belf? Its all ponytails

Likewise orc beards are bad and so are most human hairstyles
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post
    yes when tauren were turned into full fledged furries
    If you're going to try to play that card, at least play it correctly. By definition of what they are (anthropomorphic bovines) they were furries on day 1 of the original game. Just because the fur was less textured, doesn't make it untrue.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Nope we wanted to move far away from retail after all. I would not mind a slider so everyone would be happy though, i would not use modern animations and looks but im sure plenty would.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    And you wouldn't see them. You can like the older version better *and* play with them without seeing the updated models. That's the whole point.

And "no compromises"? Why on earth is this your attitude? You want to play the game the way you like and you want others to play the game the way you like? How on earth is this not just an extremely selfish and entitled attitude? Why do you get to decide what's on the screens of other people?
    I forgot streamers. Imagine streamers ran those new models... Just disgusting. There is a game for you if you want to see new models. It's BfA.

I forgot streamers. Imagine streamers ran those new models... Just disgusting. There is a game for you if you want to see new models. It's BfA.
    There's another game that easily could have the gameplay I like as well as the models I prefer. It's Classic.

No, they want no change because they like the older version of the game better. Including graphics. More pixels doesn't always translate into superior art.
    If you don't like new models then you can just turn it off and pretend that nothing happened. When you are against a COSMETIC CHANGE THAT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAYS then the reason has nothing to do with whether one is better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Streamers will tend to stream for views. If enough viewers say they like X, then he/she likely turns on X (purely cosmetic). Likewise, if enough viewers exit because of Y, the streamer is likely to turn Y off.

Again, there's zero problem in having this as an option. You play the same game as anyone else, just see what's more appealing to you on your own screen.

That sounds like it would be between you and the streamer.

Jesus... Imagine going "I stopped watching your stream because your characters face that I see once per hour, doesn't please me"

It's not the updated graphics/models that made me tired of retail a long time ago. Tbh I wouldn't mind if it was an option in the menu to choose between old/new models.

There's another game that easily could have the gameplay I like as well as the models I prefer. It's Classic.
    Can we just agree to disagree? Because this is going nowhere. Just deal with it. This is Classic and it looks exactly the way it does. If the looks deter you from playing it, it's your loss. To me, it's the most beautiful game ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Estravolt View Post
    That sounds like it would be between you and the streamer.

Jesus... Imagine going "I stopped watching your stream because your characters face that I see once per hour, doesn't please me"
    Well, if you don't care about the looks, why is it so important to you to discuss them in the first place? You shouldn't mind the Classic models then.
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2019-09-24 at 08:29 AM.

My opinion:

Vanilla is about being a nobody in a large world of nobody’s. You are not the Hero, you’re not the champion, you’re not the leader..

You’ll have to work your way up from the bottom and I think having ugly gear is an important part of being this humble powerless character. This means that you’ll not only progress your character in terms of power but also aesthetics. Vanilla is all about progression. Therefore I definitely think transmog would be bad for the atmosphere of the game even if was optional.

I have no good argument for not upgrading character models other than #NoChanges.

Can we just agree to disagree? Because this is going nowhere. Just deal with it. This is Classic and it looks exactly the way it does. If the looks deter you from playing it, it's your loss. To me, it's the most beautiful game ever.
    Sure. And a solution that gives the most people what they want should be the end goal. To me, the gameplay is great and an option to make it look better would make a great game even better.

7+ Year Old Account

Cool

Sure. And a solution that gives the most people what they want should be the end goal. To me, the gameplay is great and an option to make it look better would make a great game even better.
    And still this is change in gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    This doesn't change fact that appearance (again, if choice) is part of gameplay (wiki):

Gameplay is the specific way in which players interact with a game (c) but definition is quite general, hence possible options, so (back to first link): Generally, gameplay is considered to be the overall experience of playing a video game excluding factors like graphics and sound. Game mechanics, on the other hand, is the sets of rules in a game that are intended to produce an enjoyable gaming experience.(c) - customization (choice of race, appearance, name, class) is part of game mechanics, then by definition is part of gameplay.

Well, you can't deny it, just ignore it, and that what you're exactly apparently doing.
    So, as I understand it, there’s really nothing to do for trolls in current moment. I heard there're some discussions about new patch, could be much meal there, you know

Fortunately, it’s not only more correct, but also easier and cheaper for them not to do this. Useless twist that at one time put an end (along with new models) to participation of many of my friends in this project. And now I could dance on bones of your expectations, but it seems to me somehow very malicious. The only “fair” possibility of such options in game is implementation through customization, but since they never did that, they will have to write mechanism itself almost from scratch... however, this will have nothing to do with Classic, because authenticity of esthetics is part of promise, project's purpose and you can do nothing with it.

For a change, I will go a little further and say that what they did in WoD was also counterproductive and it would be better if they were engaged in what really hindered success of this game, which wasn't its art style then. The most sad thing here is that it has become just such a factor now for many and they still don’t want to admit and fix it.

ps. Don't be shy, you aren't the first to leave here with nothing
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-09-24 at 12:18 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    And still this is change in gameplay.
    So, as I understand it, there’s really nothing to do for trolls in current moment. I heard there're some discussions about new patch, could be much meal there, you know

Fortunately, it’s not only more correct, but also easier and cheaper for them not to do this. Useless twist that at one time put an end (along with new models) to participation of many of my friends in this project. And now I could dance on bones of your expectations, but it seems to me somehow very malicious. The only “fair” possibility of such options in game is implementation through customization, but since they never did that, they will have to write mechanism itself almost from scratch... however, this will have nothing to do with Classic, because authenticity of esthetics is part of promise, project's purpose and you can do nothing with it.

For a change, I will go a little further and say that what they did in WoD was also counterproductive and it would be better if they were engaged in what really hindered success of this game, which wasn't its art style then. The most sad thing here is that it has become just such a factor now for many and they still don’t want to admit and fix it.

ps. Don't be shy, you aren't the first to leave here with nothing
    Did... Did you just quote yourself as some sort of "proof" and then try to get dismissive with me? Like... Seriously? You magically prove your point by taking something you said earlier and <boom> clearly you put me in my place?

Just to clear up a few points:

Player models Gameplay
    These are entirely different items. Gameplay denotes mechanical differences within the realm of how the game functions. The graphics are simply a layer on top of it that is the interface into the game world.
    Read THIS

Options Are Optional
    Optional means that the the player has the choice as to whether they can use it or not. You can get cute with wording and syntax all you want, when you break it down and option is an option. You can choose to use it or not. You can enable water effect. Or not. You can choose to have quest text appear all at once. Or not. You can choose to add extra action bars to your screen. Or not. You can choose to use updated player modes. Or not.

Having the option available, set by default to Classic, does not change your experience in the game one iota. Not at all. You never see the difference. Your gaming experience is completely unchanged. But the experience of those that prefer the new model is improved. If yours is unchanged and the experience of the other is improved, what is there not to like?

Optional, sure, though would be weird having a high poly character against low poly mobs and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Optional, sure, though would be weird having a high poly character against low poly mobs and terrain.
    Someone posted a neat comparison, the terrain is pretty much the same with minor changes in lightning

7+ Year Old Account
    - - - snip - - -
    I quoted part where I quoted wiki, no more, no less.
    "Player models ≠ Gameplay" -
    Your link talks about graphics (moreover, not a useful source, but only a private opinion, against which it would be foolish to object, nothing terrible, just an opinion), and I'm talking about choice, as element of gameplay. These are completely different things, comrade. Customization is gameplay part for role-playing game, and it includes not only character's characteristics, but also its appearance too (if it's being provided for by game conditions).
    "Options Are Optional" -
    Option in this case is customization, and “toggle” is graphic setting, and these, as mentioned in links above, are completely different things. All that you can really choose is only about what you are responsible for. And the fact that Blizzard allows you to put your dirty hands on game world customization is an impermissible luxury, at the same time, you don’t have any rights to change someone else’s choice (made by others regarding their private elements in game, and specifically when creating character and developing it (appearance/items/characteristics)) in no way.

"Default" argument, given all of the above, is the most useless and childish, because if game has an unjust “setting”, it will mean absolutely nothing.

ps. Anything else?
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-09-24 at 01:19 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post
    the old models actually look better than the new ones though
    For you perhaps. For others, myself included, they absolutely do not look better than the updated models.

Most aspects of the old faces were 2D - for example the eyes were textured onto each race's simplistic head mesh, with little squares that popped in and out of the head to simulate blinking, and even the teeth were just painted along the inside of the lips. While there was absolutely a charm to those models (and WoW's art in general), the reality is that they were basically N64 quality in terms of geometry.

I've grown so accustomed to the detail and expressiveness of the WoD/Legion/BFA models that going back to the old ones in Classic actually makes me cringe a bit. That's not a jab at Classic, as I said those models had their charm, but I don't find them to be better in any way. Say what you will about the current game but I think that the art is the one aspect of it that has just flat-out gotten better, often astronomically so.

While I fully realize that the model updates weren't perfect, there was no chance they were ever going to be - how people expected that, I'll never know. It would be like expecting RE2 Remake's Claire/Leon to look exactly like they did in the old game but with 2019's detail. That was simply never going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I really don't see the point, I mean the whole reason to play Classic is to see how horrible everything used to be.
    I feel fairly confident in saying that isn't the reason most people play Classic.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

personaly dont rly care much, but wouldnt mind having an option for it