5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    The problem with BfA's writing is that a story that depends on delivering 'shocking and unexpected' for shits and giggles devalues the story itself.

I mean. It'd be shocking if Aysa Cloudsinger suddenly appeared commanding the Burning Legion remnants in Azeroth and takes over the world. Would it be good?
    Fuck no
    No. The problem is that it depends on shocking stuff for shits and giggles, but all the twists can be seen from miles away. THAT devalues the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yeah Thrall is too unimportant to be killed off. Saurfang has a way bigger role now so killing Thrall has shock factor = 0. Okay killing Saurfang is barely more shocking. At least killing Thrall would come quite out of the blue (although it was foreshadowed already).
    Saurfang was barely a character before BFA. He had lore, but he was mainly a Meme. His roles were just in Wrath to some extent and literally the most miniscule apperance in SoO. Which is why it's so surprising that Blizzard has made like 3/4 CG cinematics out of nowhere for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Okay, I'd say it's absolutely safe to say Sylvanas won't be fought or even killed as a boss directly. She's the Blizzcon poster girl, it doesn't make sense to "waste" her. Unfortunately the next expansion will be centered around her so... (I still hope it's neither N'zoth). What I could see is Blizzard placing Nathanos as sacrifice to keep Sylvanas safe.
    I am pretty sure Sylvanas can quite easily be fought as a boss. Though she is definitely completely safe from death, even if she didnt have that extra life.

Also, if the next expansion is centered around her, that would technically mean that she is central to 2 expansions, which seem excessive. (even Gul'dan was only tangentially involved in WoD, and died halfway through Legion)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    No. The problem is that it depends on shocking stuff for shits and giggles, but all the twists can be seen from miles away. THAT devalues the story.
    Seeing a twist coming doesn't mean the value is lost, thats just bullshit. The fact people predict things somehow doesn't make a story bad. Probably the whole forum figured out what will eventually happen. Doesn't make it bad becuase thats just dumb luck, eventually someone will get it right.

We knew Teldrassil burning was going to happen, somehow its bad because its known? Yeah no. People are too salty over BFA.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2019-09-24 at 02:56 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    get his shit together and start doing a rebellion

Like Moping in prison and waiting for Jaina and Baine do a rebellion? Pff. If he had his shit together he would walzt into Orgrimmar like the badass he claimed himself to be, challenged Sylvanas to a Mak'gora and split her head open like a rotten egg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Seeing a twist coming doesn't mean the value is lost, thats absolute bullshit.
    Twists are meant to surprise the audience. If they don't. They are not twists.

A narrative twist isnt really as dependent on being shocking as people might think though. It is dependent on it making sense in the sotry and having been properly foreshadowed. It is certainly true that every great twist "feels" like it comes out of nowhere, but no great twist is complete without being able to go back and see all the hints and foreshadowing sprinkled throughout.

I'm vaguely rendered remembering the Xe'ra twist now and how people whined "NO NO IT DOESN'T COUNT THEY CLEARLY CHANGED THEIR PLANS!!"

More specifically, perhaps. it is correct to say that every twist is predicated on the feeling of "I cannot beleive that happened".

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    A narrative twist isnt really as dependent on being shocking as people might think though. It is dependent on it making sense in the sotry and having been properly foreshadowed. It is certainly true that every great twist "feels" like it comes out of nowhere, but no great twist is complete without being able to go back and see all the hints and foreshadowing sprinkled throughout.
    That's different. I mean it needs to have forshadowing otherwise it's just an asspul. or worse, a plothole. It needs to make sense in hindsight. But if they overdo it and everyone knows it's gonna happen far in advance, it is a pretty poor twist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like Moping in prison and waiting for Jaina and Baine do a rebellion?
    blame blizzard for trying to write a character with deep, that is somehow old war hero and have PTSD problems and it snot a murder hobo death to living guy.

Pff. If he had his shit together he would walzt into Orgrimmar like the badass he claimed himself to be, challenged Sylvanas to a Mak'gora and split her head open like a rotten egg.
    Blizzard barely know what a mak'gora is and this would deviate from their "awesome plot" everything who don't fit their plot is ignored, pretty much like the vindicaar.

Twists are meant to surprise the audience. If they don't. They are not twists.
    twists who are not twists somehow surprise i guess.

is .2.5 out yet in us ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brt2pp View Post
    is .2.5 out yet in us ?
    Nope.

Watching https://www.twitch.tv/towelliee now to see

15+ Year Old Account
    is .2.5 out yet in us ?
    Extended maintenance, scheduled to end in about 7 hours. Though lately maintenance usually ends early.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    blame blizzard for trying to write a character with deep, that is somehow old war hero and have PTSD problems and it snot a murder hobo death to living guy.

Blizzard barely know what a mak'gora is and this would deviate from their "awesome plot" everything who don't fit their plot is ignored, pretty much like the vindicaar.

twists who are not twists somehow surprise i guess.
    1. I won't blame them for trying. But I will blame them for failing. Especially since his PTSD only comes out when it is convenient for the plot.

2. So yeah. They suck at storytelling sadly.

3. It may have surprised us the first time when the Burning of Teldrassil happened without a twist, but after so many non-twists this expansion it no longer has an effect.

is .2.5 out yet in us ?
    no. maintenance. 7 more hours

Ok
    Alliance cinematic 3 min
    Horde cinematic 6 min
    my prediction

7+ Year Old Account
    1. I won't blame them for trying. But I will blame them for failing. Especially since his PTSD only comes out when it is convenient for the plot.
    thats the whole point

they think of a story and the end of the plot, thats it, everything in the middle is adapted, changed and forced to adapt and be convenient to the plot, thats why we have major inconsistentes and characters doing shit they would never do, or doing things they previously preached against.

Until they fix that the story will continue to be awful.
    3. It may have surprised us the first time when the Burning of Teldrassil happened without a twist, but after so many non-twists this expansion it no longer has an effect.
    not for then apparently, the shock value and not twists is the best twist is still strong with then, what to expect for the group who loved GOT 8 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Otrew View Post
    no. maintenance. 7 more hours
    No way it can be that long. That would be the longest maintenance ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Except for the fact what Sylvanas has been doing is well within her character, she's always been in the shadows, scheming and not in your face. She's always been about death, and uncaring, and ruthless. She's acting the way she should be. So your example is stupid. Not to mention Aysa has been barely used so that kind of shock wouldn't work for different reasons.
    Yes, but no.

She's always been an intelligent schemer, and she was always willing to sacrifice others for her, maybe not heroic but generally justifiable, goals. But in this case it's pretty much impossible for Blizzard to create a believable goal that justifies her actions, and burning a World Tree in a fit of anger was extremely out of character for her.

Sylvanas should be a strategic leader whose morality ranges from true neutral to lawful evil, a secretive individual that a faction like the Horde would only follow out of necessity, fear, or proven trust. But she has been depicted as a cruel chaotic mad queen who could only be followed by mindless minions, much like Arthas.

So as usual with Blizzard's inconsistent writing, they have forced a popular character into an ill-fitting role, and in doing so have also damaged other characters by not having them react naturally to the situation.

They're building a jigsaw puzzle using scissors and glue. They don't care how the pieces are supposed to fit together, or how the complete puzzle looked before they decided to turn it into something "new and surprising". They're then shocked when people don't like how the picture looks halfway through, and rush to dismantle it and build a new one, replacing some of the pieces, but using the same methods...

*7 hour maintenance*

So, in about 1-3 more hours. Gotcha.