The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Your looking at this the wrong way, what could he threaten to do if she doesn't back down?
    Interesting point. What could he threaten to do that he hasn't done already is really the question. And since Donnie DumbleDork gave up his impulse control at the age of 15, that clip is empty.

It's interesting that he made the call though. VERY.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Fun fact: It is none of Moscow Mitch's business. He gets to be the senator from Kentucky, nothing more.
    Who's to say he doesn't just change the rules like with Garland and says it's an election year coming up, let's let the people decide. Who's to stop him?

And I believe that recent polls showed the majority of Americans against impeachment...granted that was before all this.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That is a curious question, but I agree, it probably didn't get that far. From the other side, what would Pelosi accept? Resignation? That's the only thing I would even remotely consider if I were her.
    Yeah, probably resignation. Which would instantly open Trump up to a number of criminal charges he's been protected from by being president.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Your looking at this the wrong way, what could he threaten to do if she doesn't back down?
    Umm, nothing? It isn't like Trump is popular in Pelosi's district, and if he had any dirt on her he would have used it a long time ago.

If he threatens something really crazy, like nuking Iran if she doesn't... well don't think Pelosi was dumb enough to take the call without hitting the record button.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the context of the report, I don't think that happened. Also, Pelosi would have recorded the call and immediately brought it up in public if he threatened her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellyel View Post
    question: what happens if the transcript actually shows that its biden who is the corrupt and theres really nothing of substance in the transcript.....
    One guy tried to openly deflect already, but to answer that question, the correct way to go would be to go to the courts against Biden. It's not rocket science, just the law.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting point. What could he threaten to do that he hasn't done already is really the question. And since Donnie DumbleDork gave up his impulse control at the age of 15, that clip is empty.

It's interesting that he made the call though. VERY.
    not sure to be honest, just hope pelosi was smart enough to record the call

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/u...core-ios-share

The White House has determined that it will most likely have to allow the whistle-blower who filed an explosive complaint about President Trump to meet with congressional investigators, two people briefed on the matter said Tuesday.

The meeting could give Democrats a stream of evidence as they consider whether to impeach the president. Such a meeting would allow the whistle-blower to share at least some details of the complaint he filed — which relates to Mr. Trump’s efforts to get the Ukrainian government to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son — even if the actual document is not handed over to Congress.

The administration had originally barred the whistle-blower’s complaint from being shared with Congress, arguing that it did not meet the legal definitions of a matter under the purview of office of the director of national intelligence.

But on Monday, amid building political pressure from both Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill, the administration began the process of reversing that decision.
    To quote one of Trump's favorite people, "Womp womp."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I am about 99% sure that doesn't matter, since there is no vote that needs to happen in the Senate. John Roberts presides over the entire proceeding. The only loophole that Mitch might have is that the Senate probably has to schedule it, but I doubt he can get away with just postponing forever. When Clinton was impeached the trial began the next week the Senate was in session (They took Christmas off) and I can't find any indication that any vote on the matter was taken in the Senate before hand. I am pretty sure once the House passes it, the Chief Justice just takes over the show from there.

John Roberts has the rather unique distinction of being a decent human being, and I am comfortable that he will handle it well.
    Interesting. And Roberts has turned out to be a decent person. And he would be all over getting things going, because, you know, the law and everything. I'll be curious to see how it plays out. And on the flip side, perhaps the offense is so egregious that the GOP pulls an @Skroe and we see a wave of GOP Senators voting for impeachment. It would be the smart thing to do ("My hands were tied. Trump broke the law. No one is above the law." /heart Pelosi). They would still get Pence replacing RBG if she is out before Jan/2021 because Pence.

I am not sure. This is Trump still under the delusion that he knows how to make a deal. Best case scenario, he says something really stupid during the call to Pelosi that bites him in the ass. Otherwise this is entirely expected behavior (That probably also counts as obstruction of justice)
    Lol, he is the best bestiliest deal maker ever after all. I would love to have heard that conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, probably resignation. Which would instantly open Trump up to a number of criminal charges he's been protected from by being president.
    And that's his biggest problem. When he leaves office, he's going to spend the rest of his life in court. Possibly jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

Yeah, but Pence will just pardon him for all the federal stuff.
    And if he accepts that he is dogfucked because it becomes evidence in the state trials for what occured in their state. Which he is not exempt from for that pardon or double jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    I just can’t believe anyone would be happy about this, my brain can’t actually process it. I’m never going to forgive these pieces of shit when he’s re-elected. Anyone here cheering this are basically this elections Bernie Bros, you’re so insanely wrong it psychically pains me.
    If letting a sitting president get away with breaking the law does NOT physically pain you, then I doubt anything politics related ever will.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    If letting a sitting president get away with breaking the law does NOT physically pain you, then I doubt anything politics related ever will.
    Yep, if Obama had done ANY of what Trump has done, he would have been impeached 2 years ago. With the Mueller stuff and Russian connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I think we all predicted Clinton would win hand over foot on Trump and yet she lost those states. Biden may not be as progressive as the left wants, but I think he looks more friendly for those states than the other candidates.
    I didn't. I warned everyone I know that Trump was going to win.

The reasoning behind wanting Biden was the same reasoning behind wanting Clinton.

Change the approach.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is true it may well be what triggered her announcement. Tomorrow should be interesting.
    Pelosis response to Trump asking if they could work something out was to tell him to tell his people to obey the law.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    I just can’t believe anyone would be happy about this, my brain can’t actually process it. I’m never going to forgive these pieces of shit when he’s re-elected. Anyone here cheering this are basically this elections Bernie Bros, you’re so insanely wrong it psychically pains me.
    You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but Pence will just pardon him for all the federal stuff. Unless he too were removed and then *checks list of succession*... yeah Nancy ain’t pardoning shit.
    There is no way in hell that the turtle agreed to a deal that involved President Pelosi. I find it entirely likely that he wouldn't mind dealing with President Pence.

And sadly, despite my previous comments about him not controlling the impeachment (Which is true), he still controls enough votes that Pelosi and he would have to make a deal.

Yeah, but Pence will just pardon him for all the federal stuff. Unless he too were removed and then *checks list of succession*... yeah Nancy ain’t pardoning shit.
    He's not that fucking dumb, and he seems to have largely insulated himself from the more questionable behavior outside of going out and defending it publicly (which doesn't directly connect him). We'll end with President Pence if it moves forward and is successful, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does pardon Trump both to "start the healing process and prevent further division in the country" (think a la Nixon) and to keep the Trump base from completely revolting. Because if he doesn't I could absolutely seem them either abandoning the GOP or turning on establishment/moderate Republicans hard and going all-in for the right wing nutjobs.

On one hand, I'm relieved that the side I belong to has at least done the right thing, in opening the impeachment inquiry.

On the other hand, this is The. Gamble. Of. The. Century. We are literally gambling for American Democracy here, that there'll be something in this inquiry and inevitable impeachment so solid and irrefutable, that even when Senate Republicans acquit Trump of impeachable offenses, the voters will not be able to ignore that come November. I'm definitely one of the people who understood Pelosi pushing off impeachment, because a failed impeachment risks amplifying the "witch hunt" narrative Trump has so effectively deployed among the 80+% of Republicans who approve of him. Policy wonks have long said Pelosi was delaying impeachment inquiries til the fall so the actual impeachment falls squarely in the summer election season, and I think she's probably nailed it. That they lined it up a little bit early (initial thoughts were October/November) to coincide with what seems to be the clearest impeachable offense yet is probably fine. In every poll taken so far, impeachment has been way low on the list of priorities for voters, so the Dem candidates and eventual nominee needs to stay on message with all the issues and let Pelosi/Schiff/Schumer run the show in Congress.

Now we really need to put our balls on the table, so to speak. No more Barr-setting-the-message-for-the-Mueller-report moments. Hammer it relentlessly. I want to see Adam Schiff (best House rep for this, imo) on TV every day talking about the fucking nonsense this Administration has gotten up to. I want to see this Administration beg for mercy, and when none of it is forthcoming, resign en masse and hope to avoid prosecution. And I want to see the inquiry delve into everything. Everything that Trump has obstructed over the past 3 years, imo, is under the scope of this inquiry. They dug and dug and dug for one lie about a blowjob for Clinton - let's do the same. Except, in our case, all the digging will be to expose the vastness of the corruption and rot in this Administration.

There will be a great documentary about these few years, in a decade or two....if we survive it.

There's no doubt in my mind that this president deserves to be impeached, removed and imprisoned. I know that successful impeachment is unlikely given Republican control of the Senate, but it has to be done anyway. I also don't think the risk of a failed impeachment backfiring is nearly as bad as some make it out to be. The truth is presidents need to be limited, more limited than they have been and this one has made that more obvious than ever before. If lines are not drawn now future presidents will be even more bold and even more dangerous. Blatantly abusing power like this results in swift removal in any properly functioning democracy. No one, regardless of party, should be allowed to abuse government powers for their personal gain, and no one is above the law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He's not that fucking dumb, and he seems to have largely insulated himself from the more questionable behavior outside of going out and defending it publicly (which doesn't directly connect him). We'll end with President Pence if it moves forward and is successful, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does pardon Trump both to "start the healing process and prevent further division in the country" (think a la Nixon) and to keep the Trump base from completely revolting. Because if he doesn't I could absolutely seem them either abandoning the GOP or turning on establishment/moderate Republicans hard and going all-in for the right wing nutjobs.
    Which leads to an interesting dilemma for Trump. If he gets voted out of office in 2020, then he can either attempt to pardon himself as a lame duck, or else face the rest of his life under continuous criminal investigations. However, if he leaves office early, Pence has more or less free reign to pardon him, since it won't hurt Pence's already abysmal chances in the general election.

So it may be in Trump's personal best interests to resign beforehand. And as we all know, it is his personal interests that matter most to him. If he has a Presidential pardon, he can still go on to run his own TV network where he screams about how he was wronged.