Poll: Is faction mechanical change inevitable as of 8.2.5's story beats?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    "If you want a faction divide, Classic is there for you." - Blizzard, this Blizzcon.
    I don't think it's a coincidence, at all, that they made sure classic was in place for this particular expansion so they could push this very message as a response to any backlash they might get when they change how the factions interact in "retail."

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    I would love to play alliance races but still be able to raid with my horde guild on that character.
    Same though, I would love to play my Tauren druid but raid with my alliance friends. :<
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I have almost no doubt.

That being said, I think it'd be crazy to think that they'd totally remove factions. No way in hell. Instead I speculate war mode is going to be the tool used to separate the PvP and PvE side of the game, with non-WM allowing cross-faction interactions, tagging and communications. Possibly even guilding?

The whole “war mode as the toggle” has been my prediction for a while as well. Part of the reason I’ve been so big on speculating this change for 9.0 (or 8.3) was because war mode would be the ideal on/off switch for factional cooperation: an individual choice, which has also been a big theme in BFA!

“We each walk a line, choose yours.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    mechanically probably not. Lorewise it ties off the conflict though
    What "conflict"? The manufacturer one by Sylvanas? Without Sylvanas, there is no post-Legion war. So, then everybody is holding hands while N'Zoth is released, and Anduin isn't lamenting how few soldiers he has.

But please, tell me more about how there wasn't just a full CGI about "breaking the cycle" which speaks specifically towards Horde v Alliance all the way back to the early 90's. This War is boring, played out, and this time wholly manufactured. As stated in the CGI, this is more than horde vs alliance. It's about Azeroth, and their home. So they are choosing to fight for their home.

They will pull a Rift. When a faction based game either has a massive drop off or imbalance that has tried and cannot be fixed you merge them and make pvp flagging the factions.

What did you think war mode was setting up for? to facilitate gurubashi arena duels?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Yes but I think the Alliance / Horde will still have separate stories and you won't be able to use eachothers hubs.

I think Warmode was the beginning of this. You'll be able to cross-faction group as long as you have it turned off.
    Honestly, totally with you about the factions having their own stories, their own identities. There needs to be an incentive to see the other side, IMO, and seperate stories, different approaches to the same universal PVEvil foes would be perfect for that.

Always have shared options for use with party sync, but individual stories and faction identity shouldn't and don't have to go away just because we can all play together.

And yeah, once again, war mode is an elegant solution as a toggle.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I don't think it's a coincidence, at all, that they made sure classic was in place for this particular expansion so they could push this very message as a response to any backlash they might get when they change how the factions interact in "retail."
    Classic gives Blizz cover to shake up a lot of design decisions that they've been forced to keep because "tradition."

And gives them a chance to see what long-gone features players liked and would want to see return. Beyond nostalgia, and in actual practice.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Classic gives Blizz cover to shake up a lot of design decisions that they've been forced to keep because "tradition."

100% Agree.

And again, classic happening during BFA is potentially a huge non-coincidence. Right now, the WoW fanbase is very aware, keenly, that a game exists where Sylvanas is the queen of the Undercity, and the factions are completely non-optionally at war, and that will never change in that game. The anchor is laid in the past, it's not going anywhere.

They can sail that "retail" ship as far away from the old school as they want. Classic is there for you. It's true, it's valid, it's everything you want if you miss the "olden days."

They just divided their playerbase between two games in the same world. It's time to refine the modern game into a modern MMO, and modern MMOs don't burden the precious new player with "quick pick a side to decide which half of the playerbase you'll get to play with on your main!" That's crazytalk in today's dwindling market of modern MMOs.