Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Might be because there was hardly any story progression.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    You must be literally trolling at this point?
    Have you seen the pruned classes in BFA, compare it to vanilla.

Classes have WAY more spells, and you use your full toolkit + engineering in PvP.
    And spells are pro-active, (tremor totem etc..).

You must be one of those 1100 rating plebs.
    https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/rep...pe=damage-done

Rank 1 Frost mage.
    Spells used: 1

Pure Skill.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    I'm not a fan of cutscenes. As the joke recently reiterated in Borderlands 3 -- "You never die unless its in a cutscene."

The stories in Classic were mostly emergent. Read the scraps of paper and books; talk to NPCs; listen to the dungeon and raid boss emotes. You experienced everything in the context of gameplay.

The Butcher in Diablo was awesome, because he was unexpected. You're grinding away monsters, then you open a door and a room that looks like a murder scene has a unique mob in it...he yells "FRESH MEAT" then charges right at you. This was 100x more effective than any cutscene or exposition in Diablo 3, as they tried to ingrain MMO mechanics into boss fights (including rage timers and boss pull countdowns).

Classic's story was simple, and directly experienced. This is why players feel connected; its THEIR story, not the one the developers are trying to force down your throat.
    Ehm? Blizzard has been famous for their cutscenes and intro clips for litteraly 20-25 years (or more?). The fact that they cost more to do than Blizzard could handle back when vanilla was released does not make the game any better. Thats just silly.

Heck the story on vanilla is so dull I can to this day not actually tell you why we did any of the raids, why we did dungeons or even what the point of PvP really was. Well, more then the fact that I liked the gameplay (back then, it's horrible compared to modern games or retail) and I wanted shinier epix than the next guy. Heck, we talked about that very thing the other day - A friend asked us what we thought about the storyline in Duskwood and about 5 people were like "what story?".

- - - Updated - - -

Lol your describing BFA perfectly.

Low skill ceiling, low skill-cap etc..

Classic have high skill cap compared to BFA, in PvP and in general, maybe not mythic raids but anything outside that.
    Haha! Omg, thats funny.
    Wait, wait... You're serious, aren't you?

another great thing about classic- got rid of the complainers .. well least alot of them..

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the art of the cut-scenes, something is wrong with you. Just the cut-scenes today were beautiful, and mostly well done. The Blizzard animation team is amazing and on par with most other companies that do this for movies. It's that good..
    The cutscenes are beautiful and the animation is masterful
    Yet the in game story feels better without them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Might be because there was hardly any story progression.
    That's just not true,an entire half of the eastern kingdoms is dedicated to pushing the Onyxia plot for example,with several regions affected by the corruption of the House of Nobles,the Defias Brotherhood being a major consequences of the issues back in Stormwind....everything ties back to it,you just have to listen and read a bit to find it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm what, off all the things to bash about retail... thats the one you wanna choose? You maybe wanna pick something else?
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2019-09-25 at 04:33 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAhahjashfjahaahAHAhahah this OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    The cutscenes are beautiful and the animation is masterful
    Yet the in game story feels better without them

- - - Updated - - -
    I agree for the most part. I am personally really enjoying the story/lore overall.

Some folks in here though are just crazy. One dude kept going on about how the cut scenes animation and details were trash... and I'm just like... we are not seeing the same things. He must've been someone who is perpetually sad all the time, and hates everything. lol

7+ Year Old Account

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I bet you don't stand in front of the mirror often do you
    it's offtopic, but...
    Oh man, you're so wrong about this. No, seriously, as one of the most pragmatic people... you can’t even imagine

But that’s not the point, simply - I criticize exactly what is worthy of criticism, and there are no boundaries/saving like "coattails". Once upon a time, I didn’t do this (although I had some suspicions and ended up with nothing, as you see; this doesn't mean that it would help then, but I think it would be easier for me to know, that I was trying to prevent it), and then I met people with same diagnosis, and you know what they told me? Don't hold back, you don't do favor to anyone with this behavior.

So, now I’m doing exactly what I think is necessary, and believe me, if I’m worthy of criticism in some way, then the first person I get it from is myself, and without any “preliminary caress” and mercy What should be said will be said, albeit with an eye to local resource's rules.

ps. Also, quoting everything, especially large messages, often doesn't make sense because it piles pages, it's easier to “cut” quotes, notification will happen anyway *looking reproachfully at some participants in topics with class concepts* It doesn't much interfere at this forum, but is very annoying sometimes on official Blizzard's one.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, if second message is about me, then you didn’t understand part that spoke fundamentally about cut scenes. Criticism of mediocre animators, who worked on creating animations for models, belongs to this part very remotely. That is, and here I can already criticize you as not attentive reader, since everything, that directly concerned you, ended in first paragraph-sentence there. Moreover, here (in your second message) happened an inappropriate logical error in sequence, because you didn't take into account people, who consider this action to be right and, therefore, satisfying, as well as those who simply enjoy the process... And you know what? It's very likely that their life (from their actions) far from as sad as you imagine. Just a comment. Don't be offended
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-09-25 at 06:30 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    yes, cutscenes became popular when 12 year olds were allowed to play WoW. Mainly because they're catered towards them.
    So, when the game was released?

What a dumb post.

Classic have high skill cap compared to BFA, in PvP and in general, maybe not mythic raids but anything outside that.
    When that cognitive dissonance hits hard.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    So, when the game was released?

What a dumb post.
    pot calling kettle black much?

Yeah - instead of cut scenes, you watch Netflix for the 45 minutes you are waiting to kill a single quest mob.

Netflix is certainly superior to cut scenes I suppose.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

There is a cut-scene when you make a character, with a narrator explaining some lore stuff, but that's about as far as cut-scenes went in vanilla.

The only problem with cut scenes is when they over do it like they did in Uldum where you got a scene after every other quest. Used judiciously, like they did in Wrath, they can be incredibly impactful. Trying to use them to explain every little thing gets tedious very quickly. Limit them to major events, like they mostly have in BfA, and they're a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivapin8 View Post
    So honey show me on this doll, where did the evil Rogue touch you?...damn I have no trouble against them with my hunter and the times I lost (beside the "classic" low HP ganking) was a damn close fight...
    I PLAY a rogue, that's how I know how easy it can be. And you are absolutely full of it if you say you had any chance against a rogue as a HUNTER of all classes in Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rionalgaming View Post
    another great thing about classic- got rid of the complainers .. well least alot of them..
    you can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    The only problem with cut scenes is when they over do it like they did in Uldum where you got a scene after every other quest. Used judiciously, like they did in Wrath, they can be incredibly impactful. Trying to use them to explain every little thing gets tedious very quickly. Limit them to major events, like they mostly have in BfA, and they're a good thing.
    the cutscenes in uldum were 90% harrison jones fucking around. uldum was an indiana jones homage and the devs were having fun with it

Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    the cutscenes in uldum were 90% harrison jones fucking around. uldum was an indiana jones homage and the devs were having fun with it
    The purpose of the cut scenes is irrelevant. There were far, FAR too many of them, and Blizzard even admits this. But using them judiciously like they did in Wrath and (mostly) BfA is a good thing, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I PLAY a rogue, that's how I know how easy it can be. And you are absolutely full of it if you say you had any chance against a rogue as a HUNTER of all classes in Classic..
    Hunter vs Rogue in Vanilla had three major factors in determining who won, none of which are about the classes (strictly speaking). If the fight was in a wide open spot, the Hunter had the advantage. If it was close quarters, the Rogue was supreme. If the Rogue had all of her cooldowns up, she was very likely to win. And, of course, player skill was a big part of it. I was a Hunter. I was average in general, and just, plain bad at PVP, and even I could beat a Rogue sometimes outdoors. Indoors, I had no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    The purpose of the cut scenes is irrelevant. There were far, FAR too many of them, and Blizzard even admits this. But using them judiciously like they did in Wrath and (mostly) BfA is a good thing, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Hunter vs Rogue in Vanilla had three major factors in determining who won, none of which are about the classes (strictly speaking). If the fight was in a wide open spot, the Hunter had the advantage. If it was close quarters, the Rogue was supreme. If the Rogue had all of her cooldowns up, she was very likely to win. And, of course, player skill was a big part of it. I was a Hunter. I was average in general, and just, plain bad at PVP, and even I could beat a Rogue sometimes outdoors. Indoors, I had no chance.
    post the quote where they "admitted" it

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think cut-scenes are an issue. They can enhance immersion and drive the plot quite effectively. They become an issue when they infringe upon gameplay, not when they compliment it.

A cut-scene that compliments gameplay doesn't take away player agency. If you watch a cutscene of your character jumping to safety, you think to yourself "why couldn't I get the opportunity to escape for myself?" That's bad. But a good one can make a satisfying reward to culminate hard work, like the Wrathgate cinematic from WotLK.

These 'real time events' in some games are total crap though.