Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Garrosh vs. Sylvanas

This is not a powerscaling thread. Now that the civil war of BfA is over, I wanted to see who people thought was the better antagonist for the Alliance + Honor gang. Who between Garrosh and Sylvanas had the better motivations for acting the way they did, who had a bigger impact, who was handled better as a villain, who represented a bigger obstacle, who had the more satisfying demise, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, I think Garrosh was handled much better. Even if his turn from pragmatic leader to full on lunatic was rushed, he had more understandable motivations and the war he started was just developed much better (it wasn't resolved in 2 patches but characterized two different expansions instead). Also I liked the rivalry between Garrosh and Varian, I thought they were very interesting parallels on two different sides (until MoP), and I also really enjoyed that scene where Garrosh crushes Anduin against the bell. It shows to what lengths he is willing to go to "deliver a message" to Varian. In comparison, I felt nothing during the confrontations between Sylvanas and Anduin, I didn't feel any chemistry between them as rivals. I also just think that the whole rebellion against Garrosh was displayed better. I'm not even talking about the raid, I just preferred how you had to defend the darkspear villages from Garrosh's forces, remove his army from Razor Hill, then contend with his kor'kron in the Barrens... MoP did a much better job in displaying an actual rebellion against a tyrant.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

For the moment Sylvanas' stuff looks like a snoozefest with tons of fanservice.

All this shit so far for:
    - No war/direct confrontation between "armies"
    - Thrall's micro-arc was just here for the lulz and one echo'ing one-liner
    - Still no idea about Sylvanas' purpose, does she even know ? She wants dead people and had the opportunity to kill the two armies before bansheeing out but didn't, for convenience
    - Even the rebellion didn't make a lot of sense, their plan was to destroy Orgrimmar and hopefully that'd bring peace on Azeroth and instantly heal her ?
    - Too many people are forgotten or left behind. The biggest war-act in BfA was Teldrassil and neither Tyrande or Malfurion joined for the confrontation in Orgrimmar. Yeah, sure.

No offense but why even waste the data on MMO-Champion's servers for such an obvious question?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post

- Still no idea about Sylvanas' purpose, does she even know ? She wants dead people and had the opportunity to kill the two armies before bansheeing out but didn't, for convenience
    - Even the rebellion didn't make a lot of sense, their plan was to destroy Orgrimmar and hopefully that'd bring peace on Azeroth and instantly heal her ?
    - Too many people are forgotten or left behind. The biggest war-act in BfA was Teldrassil and neither Tyrande or Malfurion joined for the confrontation in Orgrimmar. Yeah, sure.
    Seems as if you've missed some things that's been released with the cinematics.
    Hi

Garrosh hands down, only because he didn't engage in Saturday morning cartoon villainy like "burning down innocents to feed muh master." I could actually sympathize with him blaming Thrall, and trying to become a Warchief that raised the Orcs up when many felt Thrall made him live in squalor (not something I agree with but I understand the P.O.V.)

sylvanas wins by default for teldrassil alone

she also would have one shot the alliance leadership if it wasnt for that meddling jaina

Garrosh was fueled by insecurities.
    Sylvanas is fueled by the powers of nihilism.

Hard to say really

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Garrosh was batshit crazy but in a more relatable way: he was an insane extremist with a delusional and twisted vision of prosperity for his idealized Horde.

Sylvanas, on the other hand, is an utter and absolute sociopath filled with cynism and nihilism to the brim. She's so fucking crazy that is hardly relatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

At least Garrosh had honor. Sylvanas doesn't.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Well given that Garrosh wanted to reshape the Horde to his vision and Sylvanas wanted to kill as many people as possible, Sylvanas makes the better out-and-out villain.

Garrosh was by far the better Garrosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Garrosh played checkers, Sylvanas plays chess and her game is still far from over, she is on a much higher level

and Garrosh legitimately thought he could conquer Azeroth with a bunch of orcs + some mercs .. thats just mindblowing stupidity

though Garrosh had a lot of nice personal antagonistc moments with his adversaries

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Garrosh was batshit crazy but in a more relatable way: he was an insane extremist with a delusional and twisted vision of prosperity for his idealized Horde.

Sylvanas, on the other hand, is an utter and absolute sociopath filled with cynism and nihilism to the brim. She's so fucking crazy that is hardly relatable.
    I guess you could say that she is Intelligent, Nihilistic and with a Wicked Sense of Humor ?

This is a good sum of the shitshow. Literally we could just skip the arc with Sadfang and Syl fighting for some nonsense like taking the last pizza/chicken leg or something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Garrosh played checkers, Sylvanas plays chess and her game is still far from over, she is on a much higher level
    Except they didn't have to make the Alliance into paste-eaters to make Garrosh seem cunning and menacing.

I mean, we still don't really know what Sylvanas is up to, she has a bargain with Azshara but doesn't seem fond of N'zoth and were alluding to a bigger threat than N'zoth at the end of loyalist campaign and that we would all understand when she came back, setting up the next expansion. So tune in next expac for resolution and true motivation from sylvanas.

7+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh did nothing wrong, and his only mistake was to love the horde too much

Sylvanas in other hand is a failure that always run away and now developed the team rocket escape and she only love death and nathanos, like a goth bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Garrosh did nothing wrong, and his only mistake was to love the horde too much

Sylvanas in other hand is a failure that always run away and now developed the team rocket escape and she only love death and nathanos, like a goth bitch
    That's like saying Hitler did nothing wrong because his motivation was to make Germany greater.

Garrosh by a country mile. Better motivation, more intelligent and legitimately morally grey.

Sylvanas fucked up at every turn, had victory dropped into her lap and threw it away on a temper tantrum while being the lackey for a higher power. Garrosh was opposed from the very start for vacuous reasons, was still in the lead at the end from a logical sequence of events and made the strongest old god into a battery.

Oh, and even with Garrosh's death the orcs limped on, crippled but still able to spawn something like the Mag'har that have a lot of cool parts to them. The second Sylvanas fled the Forsaken succumbed 100% to human potential.

That having been said @Zulkhan I do find Sylvanas' goal of wanting to kill the entire cast and her decision to vacate from the plot the second the Unifaction was set to form extremely agreeable and sympathetic and look forward to rooting for her to snag some casualties in the next one.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-09-25 at 05:47 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh owned up to it. His is a tale of how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Sylvanas is a serial retreatist that still claims to care about the forsaken because they, like her, did not ask for their state. Despite her killing her forsaken and being the reason lots of them were risen as forsaken in the first place.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.