Question Need a little help with GPU to Power supply connection

Hello Mmo Champ,

I usually build computers myself and have never really ran into a question like this from a friend, basically they have bought this GPU:

GeForce MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio Card

And currently has this PSU in his build as it stands:

Dark Power Pro 11 - 1200W PSU from Bequiet

The GPU has 2 x 8 pin and a 6 pin also, ive never had a card that needs more than just a 2 x 8 pin. Can anyone advise on how to connect this up? i dont want to give advice and his card not get enough power or go faulty. Can he just use the two 10 Pin slots on the PSU to run a 8 pin cable and a 8 Pin + 6 cable? sorry if this seems obvious.

Sorry i cant post links to the actual products.

Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    If the cables that come with his PSU have 8+6 pins on the same run, then it's rated to be able to supply enough power for both of those connectors.

That said, the 2080ti doesn't draw enough power to warrant 2 8 pins and a 6 pin at all, so unless it doesn't boot up without the 6 pin, you can just leave it out for a (probably) cleaner look

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the specifications for the PSU it should have a total of 8 available 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors.

Use 1 cable for the 8 pin and 6 pin, and another cable for the remaining 8 pin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Looking at the specifications for the PSU it should have a total of 8 available 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors.

Use 1 cable for the 8 pin and 6 pin, and another cable for the remaining 8 pin.

[IMG]https://www.bequiet.com/admin/ImageServer.php?ID=4f903a657@be-quiet.net&.jpg[IMG]
    Looking at that picture, it appears they call Molex HDD.. That's just weird man. That said I'd like it if my PSU came with a SATA/Molex cable, would save me a fair amount of clutter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Looking at that picture, it appears they call Molex HDD.. That's just weird man. That said I'd like it if my PSU came with a SATA/Molex cable, would save me a fair amount of clutter.
    Yeah the naming is a little strange, HDD's haven't used 4 pin Molex in a while :P

I'm just curious though, what do you need a Molex connector for in this day and age? A water pump or something?

Yeah the naming is a little strange, HDD's haven't used 4 pin Molex in a while :P

I'm just curious though, what do you need a Molex connector for in this day and age? A water pump or something?
    lots of accessories still use them for whatever reason. RGB controllers, Fan hubs, pumps, you name it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    lots of accessories still use them for whatever reason. RGB controllers, Fan hubs, pumps, you name it.
    Yeah, I actually ran into that issue the other day where a dude had us build a ~$3000 system... But the fan/RGB controller used a molex connector.. And his PSU literally didn't come with one (or he lost it before he got it to us, brand new)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

The controller boxes for my TT setup uses molex. My brother has a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 and it uses molex for the RGB on the card. I have 2 fan controllers wich i don't use any more, but they use molex. Most costum water pumps and reservoirs still uses molex
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account

My pump uses molex. Kinda annoying honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah, I actually ran into that issue the other day where a dude had us build a ~$3000 system... But the fan/RGB controller used a molex connector.. And his PSU literally didn't come with one (or he lost it before he got it to us, brand new)
    Think he lost them.. I don't know of any modular psu that doesn't have the option of a Molex cable