Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Okay I'll bite. Even if some of things you mentioned are textures that doesn't mean they don't require actual remodeling to accomplish. Normals require sculpted detail in order to generate the normal map. The poly count on the original PS1 models was likely so low that they just had to remodel everything anyways. They had a reference to work with, but so did Link's Awakening.
    I already covered the new models posts ago. Most of them where simply recycled from skylanders which already created a lot of crash and spyro HD assets. Most of the work was done on the backgrounds themselves, and was mostly texture work.

Okay I'll bite. Even if some of things you mentioned are textures that doesn't mean they don't require actual remodeling to accomplish. Normals require sculpted detail in order to generate the normal map. The poly count on the original PS1 models was likely so low that they just had to remodel everything anyways. They had a reference to work with, but so did Link's Awakening.
    You really are wasting your breath here. Tech has been going at this for years now, he's deluded himself into some viewpoint and even if someone slammed a fact against his face he'd go nu-huh.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You're not "paying 20 extra dollars". You're paying the flat amount it was going to be either way.
    And that's the problem. Nintendo overcharges for their games compared to the rest of the industry. Crash and Spyro were full 3D remakes launching at 40 dollars. MediEval which comes out in a month is a 3D Remake and that's coming out at 30 dollars.

I mean... if your claims are true then Spyro and Crash did? UE4 didn't exist when those games were released lol.
    So Spyro and Crash where now 8 bit, sprite based games eh?

Quite the reach my dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So Spyro and Crash where now 8 bit, sprite based games eh?

Quite the reach my dude.
    What does their graphical style have anything to do with their gameplay code?

And that's the problem. Nintendo overcharges for their games compared to the rest of the industry. Crash and Spyro were full 3D remakes launching at 40 dollars. MediEval which comes out in a month is a 3D Remake and that's coming out at 30 dollars.
    So you think Toys For Bob remade 3 games in 8 months.......

You don't quite understand how long game development takes do you?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Oh no dude I just work in the games industry. Toys For Bobs quick turn around is a testament to their smart approach and good planning.

It's not overcharging. Nintendo DID go an extra step above the other remakes, and there's no reason why they should just put it at a lower price because other games do.

I mean, Crash and Spyro I can kind of see, but MediEval? Pretty sure it's safe to say that's niche compared to the other three, so yes the price is going to be lower, and while I don't know much of it off the top of my head besides the little I've seen, 3D doesn't always mean that it took just as much work.

And nothing is stopping you from buying those games instead.

But they weren't developing games. They were remaking. They had point of reference, all the balancing, the systems in place. Asset creation and modernisation really does not take a long time when you have frame of reference.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

What does their graphical style have anything to do with their gameplay code?
    You claimed it was so easy to copy paste the code from the gameboy games into a full HD and 3D remake of said game.

Now it's time to back up your claim. It's so easy according to you- so show me all the studios doing it.

Currently, at the time of this writing, Spyro reignited on Switch has a 78 on metacritic from critics, and a 8.1 userscore. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane trilogy on Switch has an 80 from critics and an 8.5 from users at the time of this writing. The first review I see on Crash from Gaming Age gives it a perfect 100 score and lists $39.99 in the review blurb about the game, seeming to indicate it is a great value.

Whether you believe critics should give games credit or take credit away based on their monetization, it isn't relevant. What I think most of us will agree on is that at least SOME reviewers consider this when reviewing these games.

At the time of this writing Link's Awakening for Switch has an 88 critic and 8.6 user score.

I would also argue that The Legend of Zelda has a higher value as an IP than either of the other two.

So why should Link's Awakening be sold for the same price as the other two games? Wouldn't it be a bargain to get Link's Awakening for the same price as the other two games? Why should they sell it at a bargain price?

At full price, the game has already been successful in sales. Simply googling has made that clear. So.....
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-09-26 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Guys, there is no industry standard for what a remake or a remaster is.
    Actually there is...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You claimed it was so easy to copy paste the code from the gameboy games into this game.

Now it's time to back up your claim.
    ....Okay now you're just not making sense. It's clear you're just grasping at straws, because you don't know what actually goes into making a video game and I don't have time to put 4 years of college and experience in the games industry into a forum post.

I expected this reaction from the thread, but I was hoping to be proven wrong.

Actually there is...
    List it, please. I'd like to know.

Oh no dude I just work in the games industry.
    If you worked in the Industry you would know the difference in a remake and a remaster.

If you worked in the Industry you would know the difference in a remake and a remaster.
    Do no games fall in a gray area? What is the exact line that defines this?

It's clear you're just grasping at straws.
    You're the one that came into this thread guns blazing claiming Spyro took as much work as LA when it's a fact it didn't- Link's Awakening started development after MM3D released which was well before Spyro remasters where in development, and now you're telling me I'm grasping at straws? That's cute.

Nintendo has no idea how to make games, should definitely hire Poppincaps he will copy and paste some ancient ass gameboy code over to a game fully rebuilt in 3D, HD, widescreen, without scrolling screens. No problem at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the one that came into this thread guns blazing claiming Spyro took as much work as LA when it's a fact it didn't- Link's Awakening started development after MM3D released which was well before Spyro remasters where in development, and now you're telling me I'm grasping at straws? That's cute.

Nintendo has no idea how to make games, should definitely hire Poppincaps he will copy and paste some ancient ass gameboy code over to a game fully rebuilt in 3D, HD, widescreen, without scrolling screens. No problem at all.
    You're right Tech.

They should hire me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Do no games fall in a gray area? What is the exact line that defines this?
    There really isn't a gray area. Think of it like this a remaster is using a skeleton, organs and building it a new body, a remake is starting from scratch with a brand new skeleton and organs.

Not all remasters are equal, but also not all remakes are equal.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right Tech.

They should hire me.
    Yea then we would get ports of sprite based games sold at $20 and Nintendo stock would dip below the Wii U days.

...anyway, I edited out my line about the industry standard of a remake vs remaster, because it detracted from the rest of my post. Think what you will, however I do think that it is impossible to define the exact link where a remaster becomes a remake. There are so many games now that span the range from simple port to reimagining that allow for a gray area where we will disagree about what is what on some games. That's all I'm saying.

- - - Updated - - -

There really isn't a gray area. Think of it like this a remaster is using a skeleton, organs and building it a new body, a remake is starting from scratch with a brand new skeleton and organs.

Not all remasters are equal, but also not all remakes are equal.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea then we would get ports of sprite based games sold at $20 and Nintendo stock would dip below the Wii U days.
    Then why do gamers disagree so much on message forums about what is a remake and what is a remaster?