Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mocking blow. It's probably amazing for tnaking but I haven't trained a single point in it yet.
    RETH

As deep Feral, the only ability stricking me as useless is Rake. The damage is just horrible imo.
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2019-09-27 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Mocking blow. It's probably amazing for tnaking but I haven't trained a single point in it yet.
    It is amazing for tanking, but it's real shining use is as a DPS warrior to off tank a mob for a few seconds. You dont want to overthreat the tank but you don't want the tank to die from the next melee hit.

Also saved some people with it while questing. Specifically on Cyclonian when doing that with three other warriors.

For me it was Devouring plague, apart from the extra dot in WPVP its almost never worth casting it, last rank costs almost 1k mana.

My only lvl 60 back in the day was a hunter and i didn't really feel that i have huge mana issues, rolled a priest in current iteration and I find it really stupid that as a healer, i have to stack + healing in order to use lower rank spells, i mean what the point of learning last 2 ranks of most healing spells if they are too mana expensive and almost never get used, might aswell save some gold, same thing applies to most other healers i think.

Rend. Even the first rank at lvl 4 is horribly low dmg. It has its use in PvP to keep a rogue from restealthing, but otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Detect lesser invisibility. I remember how many ppl used to put it on in PVP in order to "see" rogues and druids. Haha!
    I believe there are a few mobs out in the world that this spell helps with, but it's very very few. For most stealthy mobs, this spell doesn't work.
    Are you horde or alliance? It is an extremely useful spell for horde warlocks, because you use it in undercity to kill the ghosts for soul shards when you log in.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    Expose Armor. Refuse to even train it.
    Uh, excuse me but what? This is the best finisher for non-group pve content. Yeah, don’t use it with a warrior Tank in the group, but other than that, it is huge. Improved Expose Armour is so much better than Lethality that it’s not even funny, for instance. I love expose armour and you will pry it away from my cold undead hands. Putting this up will make you slaughter anything you previously had troubles with so much easier. Shadow priest? He no longer has any armour value at all. Warrior? She is basically a clothie.

- - - Updated - - -

On-topic, I would like to say Entangling Roots. It itself is not bad, but its restrictions is. It always breaks on its own damage and you can’t use it in-doors, even if the cave/dungeon is full of roots. But hey, there is always Zul’Farrak, am I right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Arcane shot sucks as well. Hits like a wet noodle because it does not scale with AP.
    So true... I remember back in vanilla I used that spell alot too. Now I know why people would rather use multishot. I never used multishot on single targets back in the day lol :P

I am actually wondering what a spell damage hunter would look like, and how powerful Arcane shot can be with the right gear lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-09-27 at 10:01 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So true... I remember back in vanilla I used that spel alot too. Now I know why people would rather use multishot. I never used multishot on single targets back in the day lol :P
    I mean, it shares a CD with Aimed Shot rather than multi-shot in Classic, does it not? Yes, Arcane Shot is not efficient without +spell, and with it, it’s ehhh, underwhelming still. Very useful whilst kiting to chug Arcane Shot to keep the mob leashing or to kill the croc boss in Maraudon. I think that was something I did.
    Also one of the Rhok’delar monsters, iirc?

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I'm maining a mage, so luckily I don't really have any skills thus far that have hit me as being bad. I've got a tool for just about every situation. Even those amplify/dampen magic spells have proven situationally useful, though I'm not yet convinced using them on the regular is worth the mana cost (unless, I suppose, the tank needs a huge healing spike).
    Amplify is useful in dungeons and pvp when you know for sure there's no magical damage involved. The only useless spell mages have which isn't even a spell is the nova ranks past rank 1. It isn't worth the increased mana cost

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Has the huge, huge downside of wiping your raid groups. If you put it on a mob they become un-sunder armor-able, as the warrior will get the error message that a stronger spell is in effect.
    I was going to mention it's useful when you don't have a warrior tank, but otherwise you barely have time to use it. Warrior tank can build sunders faster than rogue can CP to a high enough level to drop an expose armor.

Can be useful for flashy pvp openers CS>EA without breaking sap on mages.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Detect lesser invisibility. I remember how many ppl used to put it on in PVP in order to "see" rogues and druids. Haha!
    I believe there are a few mobs out in the world that this spell helps with, but it's very very few. For most stealthy mobs, this spell doesn't work.
    It doesnt work for ANY stealthy mobs.
    Stealth and invisibility are 2 diffrent things in wow classic.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I'm maining a mage, so luckily I don't really have any skills thus far that have hit me as being bad. I've got a tool for just about every situation. Even those amplify/dampen magic spells have proven situationally useful, though I'm not yet convinced using them on the regular is worth the mana cost (unless, I suppose, the tank needs a huge healing spike).
    Amp magic is an amazing spell for the group in an instance with limited incoming magic damage

For a druid... Soothe Beast.

Feint is pretty useless. If I seriously pull aggro I'll just pop evasion, and if it gets real bad I'll vanish.

It has it's uses in pve and pvp. Mostly for solo stuff for me though, things immune to nature damage via poison like elementals. Made Searing Gorge bearable at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Feint is pretty useless. If I seriously pull aggro I'll just pop evasion, and if it gets real bad I'll vanish.
    Yea, you have to use it pretty early on in a fight for it to matter at all, it's kinda dumb.
    Last edited by Fabled; 2019-09-27 at 11:45 AM.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Mongoose bite is definitely bad but disengage sucks too. I get that you could use it if you happen to pull aggro and your fd gets resisted, but then you can just kite, or if in a group the tank shldve taunted by then.

I'll preface this with this isn't a Classic vs Retail comment, but holy shit seeing this thread makes me realise (while it does still have issues) how much better balanced classes are in retail. Puts a lot of the complaining about current class design into perspective.

Anyway OT, I'm gonna agree as a mage, amplify magic is probably the worst. Not because it's a bad spell, if used right it's really good, but because 99% of the time, it can't be used right. As someone else says, it can be useful on a tank, but if they forget to take it off before a magic based fight, that's a very dead tank. And honestly, most tanks in pugs won't pay attention to what buffs you've given and remove the right one. In a group with communication though, it can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Annelie View Post
    Dampen magic is good vs caster mobs if you are out soloing.

I still havent found a place where amplify magic is good. Mostly the tanks forget to remove it after a melee boss fight anyway.
    Garr in MC is pure physical

amplify is good there for example

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I'll preface this with this isn't a Classic vs Retail comment, but holy shit seeing this thread makes me realise (while it does still have issues) how much better balanced classes are in retail. Puts a lot of the complaining about current class design into perspective.

Anyway OT, I'm gonna agree as a mage, amplify magic is probably the worst. Not because it's a bad spell, if used right it's really good, but because 99% of the time, it can't be used right. As someone else says, it can be useful on a tank, but if they forget to take it off before a magic based fight, that's a very dead tank. And honestly, most tanks in pugs won't pay attention to what buffs you've given and remove the right one. In a group with communication though, it can be good.
    you can take it off them by putting on dampen ;>

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    Garr in MC is pure physical

amplify is good there for example

- - - Updated - - -

you can take it off them by putting on dampen ;>
    Yeah but that also then dampens any healing they get