Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with the drop off numbers, just that's what blizzard's estimates are. Why they allowed 12k+ on their servers initially. So you are calling blizz delusional lol.

Today marks 1 month after the release date. Youd have to resub now if you only bought 1 month. Will be interesting to see if it has any effect on queues.
    blizzard is delusional.

1. they keep the retail train going down a trail of destruction, and have a dead game to show for it (under 1 mil active players now)

2. they internally believed that classic would be a disaster (you think you do but you dont), and its been the biggest success for wow in years, relatively speaking.

edit: I bought the 6 month sub/blue-white flying mount thing a month ago, would be interesting to know how many did that.
    Last edited by greysaber; 2019-09-26 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ...developing the whole layering system instead of just using the pre-existing dynamic respawn that was already in to begin with, is "cheap" ?

I'd ask you to elaborate, but you have an alt-right meme avatar, so I'm not sure you'd provide anything insightful.
    The layering system is sharding with some tweaks so yea its much cheaper then actually having physical servers that need merging after the drop.
    What does an avatar have to do with anything lol?
    Im not even from american or eu so keep your political correct garbage out of this thread please.

p2 has to come soon, im enjoying classic and all but every day i feel more and more... i dont know man, i just wanna pvp

and i know, pvp is possible right now, but ppl just dont give a shit without rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Xalvia View Post
    p2 has to come soon, im enjoying classic and all but every day i feel more and more... i dont know man, i just wanna pvp

and i know, pvp is possible right now, but ppl just dont give a shit without rewards
    I just dont get why ppl want all the content to come rushing out. I personally want to released around the same timeline the content came out in vanilla. I dont like this newer concept of "some ppl are burning thru it so we gotta keep pushing out stuff faster to keep them entertained" . Average level right now is like 40.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    blizzard is delusional.

1. they keep the retail train going down a trail of destruction, and have a dead game to show for it (under 1 mil active players now)

2. they internally believed that classic would be a disaster (you think you do but you dont), and its been the biggest success for wow in years, relatively speaking.

edit: I bought the 6 month sub/blue-white flying mount thing a month ago, would be interesting to know how many did that.
    can you confirm under 1m subs? How is game dead? You have 8k guilds which has cleared HC raid. And I don't think majority raids at that level in the first place. I would imagine most raiding guilds would have first three bosses down on HC, that is 13k guilds. Add all LFR players, m+ players, pvp players, players without guilds. How is that a dead game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    blizzard is delusional.

Do you have any source of your data except ofcourse your ass, where you clearly pulled it out of?
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2019-09-27 at 12:21 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Again, layering has nothing to do with queue times. if they removed all layering today, queues would be exactly the same, and server load would be exactly the same, you would just see more players around you, and all the implications of that. that being said, layering will definitely be ready to be gone from most realms very soon. incendius used to be high pop 24/7, with 5-10k queues at prime time. with player attrition and multiple opportunities for server transfer, including to much-needed LA and BR realms, incendius is usually medium, only hitting high at prime time, and there hasnt been a queue in weeks now. i dont know exactly how layering works, if areas get layers, or if its the whole server, but there usually doesnt seem to be more than 2 layers currently there. sure resources will be tight when layering is removed, bu thats part of how population balancing works. if people are unable to farm, they may reroll somewhere else, or transfer to a different server when the next opportunity arises, or quit altogether. itll work itself out, and its already clearly heading in that direction.

They will release p2 once layering is gone. Not the other way around ffs

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Again, layering has nothing to do with queue times. if they removed all layering today, queues would be exactly the same, and server load would be exactly the same, you would just see more players around you, and all the implications of that. that being said, layering will definitely be ready to be gone from most realms very soon. incendius used to be high pop 24/7, with 5-10k queues at prime time. with player attrition and multiple opportunities for server transfer, including to much-needed LA and BR realms, incendius is usually medium, only hitting high at prime time, and there hasnt been a queue in weeks now. i dont know exactly how layering works, if areas get layers, or if its the whole server, but there usually doesnt seem to be more than 2 layers currently there. sure resources will be tight when layering is removed, bu thats part of how population balancing works. if people are unable to farm, they may reroll somewhere else, or transfer to a different server when the next opportunity arises, or quit altogether. itll work itself out, and its already clearly heading in that direction.
    This is false. Please reread my posts in the thread. While the servers can hold many more ppl, they already stated they want the servers to be at the same capacity and cap they had back in vanilla. Which is ~3k. So although they can handle 15k, the servers would be artificially limited to 3k. Anything over that would be in a queue. Each layer right now is 3k. So right now, as you're playing, it's the same experience as playing on a full realm in vanilla.

Each layer is like it's own mini server the size of a full vanilla realm.

This is false. Please reread my posts in the thread. While the servers can hold many more ppl, they already stated they want the servers to be at the same capacity and cap they had back in vanilla. Which is ~3k. So although they can handle 15k, the servers would be artificially limited to 3k. Anything over that would be in a queue. Each layer right now is 3k. So right now, as you're playing, it's the same experience as playing on a full realm in vanilla.

Each layer is like it's own mini server the size of a full vanilla realm.
    i mean i guess you can say this if you want, but its wrong. servers can handle a lot more than vanilla servers because this is 15 years later. layers are only meant to improve the experience of the players, they have absolutely 0 to do with capacity. they want to reduce servers to that size to preserve a vanilla-like experience for world boss kills and farming and such, not because of server limitations. in fact its very likely that every single classic server and layer is running on VMs on a single physical server, or at most, blades in a single physical cabinet.

i mean i guess you can say this if you want, but its wrong. servers can handle a lot more than vanilla servers because this is 15 years later. layers are only meant to improve the experience of the players, they have absolutely 0 to do with capacity. they want to reduce servers to that size to preserve a vanilla-like experience for world boss kills and farming and such, not because of server limitations. in fact its very likely that every single classic server and layer is running on VMs on a single physical server, or at most, blades in a single physical cabinet.
    Since it seems you didnt read my previous post like I asked you too, I'll repost it. Pay attention to the key phrases I posted at the bottom. And realize it's excerpts from an interview. Please highlight where me, or ion is wrong.

"Newman: How big is a single layer? What’s the end target you’re shooting for, for each server?

Hazzikostas: Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004 in terms of the number of people it holds.

You will log in, in a layered world, and it’s going to be very, very crowded. People will fan out, and you will be teeming with players all over the place, and those who get a head start and make it into the Barrens or make it into Westfall initially will have a little bit of breathing room. But it’s going to feel very populous.

We’re looking to preserve the traditional experience. I think you can view it as effectively, just us running multiple classic launch servers, 2006-era, in parallel, with the intent of collapsing them down into a single one over the course of a few weeks."

Key phrases being:

"Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004"

"We’re looking to preserve the traditional experience"

"collapsing them down into a single one "

Since it seems you didnt read my previous post like I asked you too, I'll repost it. Pay attention to the key phrases I posted at the bottom. And realize it's excerpts from an interview. Please highlight where me, or ion is wrong.

"Newman: How big is a single layer? What’s the end target you’re shooting for, for each server?

Hazzikostas: Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004 in terms of the number of people it holds.

You will log in, in a layered world, and it’s going to be very, very crowded. People will fan out, and you will be teeming with players all over the place, and those who get a head start and make it into the Barrens or make it into Westfall initially will have a little bit of breathing room. But it’s going to feel very populous.

We’re looking to preserve the traditional experience. I think you can view it as effectively, just us running multiple classic launch servers, 2006-era, in parallel, with the intent of collapsing them down into a single one over the course of a few weeks."

Key phrases being:

"Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004"

"We’re looking to preserve the traditional experience"

"collapsing them down into a single one "
    what you posted just proves my point. so thank you.

what you posted just proves my point. so thank you.
    I think we are agreeing on a lot of the same stuff, but disagreeing on queues.

We agree that servers are better now than 15 years ago. Yes they can handle many more. Each layer is probably on the same physical server.

What we dont agree on, there will be queues on servers with over 3k ppl trying to play once layering is removed. Because they want to preserve the traditional feeling of the game, servers will only allow 3k ppl online at a time. What about this do you not agree with?

Though experiments on my server we have kind of determined during peak hours their are about 3-4 layers on a content on average (we could get 3 in Kalandor constantly and 4 in Eastern constantly). At least that is all we could ever manage to layer into during the experiment. My server shows to be medium most the time and high during peak just for a reference to client.

That pretty much means it has 2-4 servers worth of population on it. It has dropped for sure and I wish we had tried this experiment when it was in the opening days but even if that is the case that means at peak you are looking at a several 1000 person que once layering drops down and my server is not one of the big 2-3 in the NA area.

Of course I suspect the fix they will use to get around this is to increase pop caps and add in some more dynamic respawning like they did when ques were out of control with layering at the start. Probably a slow creep up combined with natural population decline as hype cools until it reaches a point on most servers of are mostly single to a pair of layers on average.

god no , way to soon

main is 60 its pretty full to farm

leveling my alt? even worse..

and i am not even a a big server i went on one that was opened later on

I think we are agreeing on a lot of the same stuff, but disagreeing on queues.

We agree that servers are better now than 15 years ago. Yes they can handle many more. Each layer is probably on the same physical server.

What we dont agree on, there will be queues on servers with over 3k ppl trying to play once layering is removed. Because they want to preserve the traditional feeling of the game, servers will only allow 3k ppl online at a time. What about this do you not agree with?
    i dont disagree with that, but when they do get to that point, the 3k limit will be one enforced by policy, not some intrinsic limitation of a layer,

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Though experiments on my server we have kind of determined during peak hours their are about 3-4 layers on a content on average (we could get 3 in Kalandor constantly and 4 in Eastern constantly). At least that is all we could ever manage to layer into during the experiment. My server shows to be medium most the time and high during peak just for a reference to client.
    Layers dont depend on peak hours. You have the same amount of layers during peak and non-peak hours as they dont dynamically increase / decrease layers.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see a world boss kill that isnt at 4 am on a weekday on any of the pvp realms lol

i dont disagree with that, but when they do get to that point, the 3k limit will be one enforced by policy, not some intrinsic limitation of a layer,
    That's fine, I can agree with that. The only reason ppl blame the queues on the removal of layering, is because without layering, they would only allow 3k online on the realm in the first place.

My only point is the statement "higher pop realms will have queues when layering is removed" is true.

No way, even last night four weeks after the release during the week at 2am there were at least four 50+ layers active in Stranglethorn with every spawnpoint of Kurzen medicine men occupied with a group of players. To allow "normal" vanilla like questing they actually have to triple the layers.

So no, layering is not going away on the full servers in any foreseeable future.

Imho the best way to deal with it would be to allow free character transfers every 6 months on the classic servers. This way people would move to lower populated realms without the fear they are going to be stranded on some empty realm.