Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'd say R1 pvp titles on classes that were not Fotm during that season are impressive to me.

When they're a nice and fun person.
    Once upon a time... the end. Next time, try twice upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Somebody who is helpful and/or civil to a total stranger.
    This, kind and helpful people impress me, not much else does in games.

I used to be impressed with achievements in games when I was young, I guess these things just fade when you get older, I dunno.

..On a side note I can't even be sure they even earned it them selves since you can buy pretty much anything in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I'm impressed when I see someone make a really nice transmog set using pieces from several different places, especially if they manage to include the lo-res pieces from Vanilla/TBC/WotLK and not look like total ass.

I'm always impressed when someone has and still actively plays their original character, especially if it was created in vanilla. I'm impressed with anyone who got a Wintersaber before Cata, unfortunately there's no way to distinguish that now and I rarely see anyone use it if they have it anyway.

Last person I actually whispered to say I was impressed was a low level troll hunter in Classic who had a snow leopard pet because I know what it takes to go from Durotar to Dun Morogh having done it myself back in the day.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gear and Achievements in game don't really impress me.

People like Mionelol that do crazy soloing and such in game impress me though. It's more impressive seeing people do things that are outside the norm successfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm always impressed when someone has and still actively plays their original character, especially if it was created in vanilla.
    What is impressive about that though? My main in BFA is my same Main from 2005 Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Truly motivational poetry. Inspirational, even. WoW is easy. And that's why 100% of players rank 100% percentile 100% of the time. Yes, just use the right ability on GCD. Yep. That's right, folks. You heard it here first. If you get anything less than a perfect parse, try selecting better abilities on your next GCD. Duh.

Oh, and don't fuck the GM to get a Legendary first. That would be embarrassing. Nothing like that has ever happened in WoW, though!
    It is an easy game though, and yes I insist that a big part of that is the GCD. Other MMOs, like GW2 for example, are not restricted by such rigid and relaxed pacing; every ability had it's own cast time and animation time there, which varied from almost none to multiple seconds. This in itself already made high level PvP far more complex and fast paced than PvP in WoW ever was, with a skill individual performance varying far more than it does in WoW. Just to provide you with a bit of context.

Of course if you had actually read the rest of my post, you would see that time investment, experience and knowledge are also things that I consider to be a big part of performance in WoW, but I will let you ponder on what I could possibly mean with that yourself, and how they relate to your yardstick of parsing high. Ill stop here but we can keep this discussion going though as I actually have a lot to say on this topic, just let me know.

Helpful, considerate and kind people are impressive to me.

I'm most impressed in this game when pugging M+ and grouping with a Brazilian player that can pull their own weight.

Be it DPS, good heals, good tanking, whatever. I don't know if it's something in the water, or perhaps the latency, but more often than not if I actually notice a player is doing terribly in a dungeon- 9 times out of 10 they are from a Brazilian realm.

Why is that?

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Sounds a bit like the Dunning Kruger effect in action. You consider your competence to be average because you find it easy.

The fact of the matter is that being good at PvE (as measured relative to other players) has a lot to do with skill - skill acquired through effort and time.

The number of buttons you have to press is irrelevant. When you're talking about any competitive activity, it's all about how good you are at it relative to other players. Take a sport like football for example: It's one of the most elementary, simple games in existence. Anyone (some physical disabilities/impairments excepted) can kick a ball into a net. Yet you wouldn't try to argue that people like Lionel Messi or Christaino Ronaldo lack skill.

The skill in PvP has nothing to do with how complex the character skill set is, it's all about how well you can execute it relative to other people.
    You literally just described PvP. All about how well you can execute it relative to other people lol.

When my old guild was considering faction swapping back in cata day, there was a guildmate who offered to cover faction swap costs for everyone who couldn't afford them, and ended up paying for like 9 swaps.

That was pretty impressive.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Back in the days, raiders would /flex in Orgrimmar with their newly acquired raiding gear. People would inspect them and hope they once, would loot the items themselves.

These days, the population is incredibly sharded and with all the transmogs available, nobody seems to stand out.

For me, only rank 1 gladiator titles with a decent win-lose ratio, or famed titled players stand out. All others are just the 'average joe' for me.

What makes you look up at a WoW player and why?
    Nothing. Its a very easy game, you can do anything if you invest enough time.

7+ Year Old Account
    If someone made a well thought out transmog that isn't just a tier set I usually stop and at least take a screenshot of them and toss them a "cool transmog " comment.

I'm impressed when a player is genuinely helpful to other people in the game. Which should tell you everything about how toxic the community is in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    What is impressive about that though? My main in BFA is my same Main from 2005 Vanilla.
    It's more impressive it's your consistent main. There isn't a single class in WoW I can think of that I'd have been able to roll with the punches of changes every expansion. I still have and play my original character from 2005, but I rotate mains depending on who comes out best in the latest round of reworks. Plus, I'm an altoholic, I get bored playing one class, the fact that you have stuck with one for almost 15 years, yeah, that's impressive to me.

I figured the odds of people choosing the class that they'd want to stick to for WoW life is rare, maybe it's not?
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Thats just bs, didnt care bout others loot back then and neither do i do it now.
    People DEFINITELY did. Your test group of a single person doesn't matter in the slightest.

As a former GM/RL, a player is impressive to me when they can do good DPS while taking low avoidable damage and perform mechanics in a boss fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    People DEFINITELY did. Your test group of a single person doesn't matter in the slightest.
    And your test group of "people" does neither. Not to mention the title of this thread is "when is a wow player impressive to you", so it doesnt matter if thousands or just me think like that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Achievement Points, 20k+

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Never cared about being impressed by anyone. It's just a video game.
    Same here.