Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    She's a mouthpiece, that's why people are dismissing her. She doesn't have solutions, not to mention she just threw the world's largest temper tantrum in front of members of the United Nations. And the focus shouldn't be just on world leaders, it needs to be on politicians at all levels and the rich elite who can fix a lot of these problems. But they are more concerned about lining their own fucking pockets than they are about the future of the planet.
    She's a mouthpiece for whom? Why does she need to have solutions? Her entire thing is bringing attention and pressure to the lawmakers to listen to scientists to come up with the solutions. If a 16 year old said she had solutions to climate change, I'd trust her less. It's not her place to come up with that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    How is this an argument against Greta when she has also been criticized for coming to the US instead of going to India or China?
    She came there because UN headquarters is situated in the US probably? Why criticize her for this. Why criticize a mouthpiece at all, people criticize the idea behind this
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2019-09-28 at 02:46 PM.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    She came there because UN headquarters is situated in the US probably? Why criticize her for this. Why criticize a mouthpiece at all, people criticize the idea behind this
    It's not my criticism, it's one from right-wingers online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Don't worry about that, there's more than plenty landmass and space. The amount of landmass lost to ocean rise is only a tiny percent of the total. The large majority of current landmass could never be underwater in any possible circumstance. Unless of course some astronomically massive amount of comets and asteroids bring in new water. Which won't happen since most of those were gobbled up after the solar system formation.
    Keep moving to higher ground is not sustainable. You are talking about dark ages and lessening our impact on the environment, by extermination. You won’t be flying when airports are flooded... you won’t be driving, when ports are under water... this assertion is ludicrous. It’s literally that meme of a think sitting at a desk, as everything is on fire around them.

Moving away from the problem, will have a far higher cost than doing something now.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    She is being used for a mouthpiece for certain political ideologies and groups and this is going to leave scars, can see how she is almost in constant fear that the world is ending almost.

Everyone is aware of the climate change the problem is how to deal with it and having the funds to do so is part of it. People won't change if you fear them, never worked and never will. You need incentives and solutions based around that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    AoC fought back too much for them, so I guess they decided to lower the bar and attack a child with a mental health disorder

#ChristianValues
    So do her mental issues only work conveniently as a shield, or they can be provided as an evidence of why she is not thinking clear too?
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2019-09-28 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I know is that it (her mental illness) can be provided as evidence of how morally bankrupt some people are and how many partisan hacks are out there.

- - - Updated - - -

A young girl gave almost the same speech almost 20 years ago. The main difference between then and now is the reaction to it by the public. Back then the girl was praised as brave and inspiring for wanting to save the planet, but now in the same situation the little girl (who's only goal is to save the planet) is attacked and vilified by hypocrites and partisan politics. If there was ever an example of how far society's morals have dropped I'd say this comparison does it justice.
    20 years ago, people and political parties their ability to attack were far more limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you would argue our societies have, more or less, always been this sleazy and apathetic for others, and breakthroughs with technology and communications have only allowed us to better facilitate those aspects?
    "Keeping up Appearances", i find this rather comical british tv-show highlights that aspect of humanity rather well. We are simply a few power outages away from being the uncivilized lot we have always been.

The bigger difference perhaps is some of us, grew up when the world is smaller so we perhaps cared more how that world looked at us, and that was something that was beaten into us in some cases by our parents. I am not going to say that there is no difference as the world has changed but i think we were always this hostile towards others but instead of bullying those we disagree with in person, we can now do so from our phones what requires a whole lot less effort and courage.

Okay, put her against Bjorn Lomborg or Richard Lindzen for an hour on live television and watch climate alarmism die the death it deserves.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That much is obvious. She's nothing more than a petulant child after all. I found it funny that anyone would have the audacity to say, in front of the UN membership, that they "ruined her childhood". I dunno, you'd think if you made it to 16, your childhood wasn't ruined.
    Your bar for not having a ruined child hood is making it to 16? Are you insane? Around the globe there are people who suffer abuse are forced to become child soldiers and have horrible crippling illnesses who make it to 16 and there child hoods are very much so ruined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    That's just being mentally ill for you. At 8 she learnt that climate change exists and went completely bonkers over this fact. She could have seen a cat killing a bird and become a biggest anti-cat activist to ever exist. Or could have learnt of bacteria existence and start living in the bubble. You never knew what triggers them.

The terrible is that eco freaks are fine with ill child being exploited just because it suits their agenda
    That’s not how mental illness works at all and from the sound of it she’s not even mentally ill she’s just on the spectrum.

It’s kinda said that people who are so ignorant are so confident in there own ignorance.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-09-28 at 05:49 PM.

Pretending to care about her being used as a mouthpiece is pretty hypocritical btw. She wouldn't have to say anything if the world listened to what actual climate scientists say for decades now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Right? These people have spent decades putting their fingers in their ears and saying, "NANANANANA CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" when scientists have told them about this stuff.

Now they're gonna pretend that their big objection to Greta is that she's not qualified enough in the science? Suddenly they can't open their ears to anything but the most qualified scientific minds?

Yeah, ok guys.
    Climate change how severe it might be, is far too much doom and gloom and it has been this same song and dance since the late 80's(or early 90's?). It does not work look at Africa at the disasters there you can inspire people to take small actions for a short time but telling people to do this or it will all be too late! does not work.

It did not work on us when we were 5, it did not work on us when we were 15 and it won't work on people in their 20's, 30's, 40's and so on, over a long period of time.

I also think that people greatly exaggerated the group that is still in the denial stage, I believe it is a rather small group that mostly get their attention because those who oppose them grant them it.

I do agree that Greta isn't a good leading figure, she is too young and far too dramatic. It is really easy to shout "we need to change!" but we need more than that, we need viable plans and simply making statements of companies following imaginary growth is a bad way to go about this, as climate change will need money, it will need incentives. Nobody is going to buy an electric car if it isn't not viable while also buying extremely expensive regardless how much they love the planet, the trees, birds and bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It is really easy to shout "we need to change!" but we need more than that, we need viable plans and simply making statements of companies following imaginary growth is a bad way to go about this, as climate change will need money, it will need incentives. Nobody is going to buy an electric car if it isn't not viable while also buying extremely expensive regardless how much they love the planet, the trees, birds and bees.
    And who is responsible for making viable plans and coming up with incentives? The very world leaders Greta shouted at. They don't do nearly enough (just look at the pathetic climate pact Germany came up with) and they won't if nobody shouts "we need change".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    And who is responsible for making viable plans and coming up with incentives? The very world leaders Greta shouted at. They don't do nearly enough (just look at the pathetic climate pact Germany came up with) and they won't if nobody shouts "we need change".
    I don't disagree that as a whole planet we are not ambitious enough, but a little girl shouting murder is not going to change any of that. All it does is give the green parties a soundbyte to play with, while they themselves have no concrete and workable solutions.

Solutions are being worked on, things might not go fast enough but there really is nothing to be done about that. I do find people are rather dismissive of all the progress that is being made.

Look like her script ran out.

All this focus on the entire world and Sweden is... well a mess, should ensure that nation is sorted and solved first before preaching about the entire world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Pretending to care about her being used as a mouthpiece is pretty hypocritical btw. She wouldn't have to say anything if the world listened to what actual climate scientists say for decades now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...global_warming

Meh, stale mate, beside you lot decide what science to listen to next, right now you're ignoring Biology.

Kind of like what you are doing here? Screaming loudly about a young girl with AS that still has 10x more courage than you do for standing up for what she believes in on such a huge platform.

To hell with all of you making fun and criticizing this young girl for merely doing what she honestly feels is right. Her goal is the health of our planet and scum bags want to try and tear her down for that? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
    Shes a sockpuppet being abused by her mom to make a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    There actually is an instant solution. Everyone stop eating meat now. Just immediately. Just give it up.
    Thats the real poluter. But big bucks going on there though, cant be talkin bout that.
    I have a better solution. Let's just kill all lifeforms since they are polluting the planet! Cows aren't the only animals that fart! Kill everyone and everything that cant do photosynthesis!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I have a better solution. Let's just kill all lifeforms since they are polluting the planet! Cows aren't the only animals that fart! Kill everyone and everything that cant do photosynthesis!
    its not just the cow farts. Its also deforestation to create animal food, the processing AND packaging industry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    its not just the cow farts. Its also deforestation to create animal food, the processing AND packaging industry, etc.
    You realize that deforestation would happen for other industry anyway right and thst is usually in third world countries that climate change policies wont even control. And processing and packaging is required for other food products too right? You have any idea how much processing an impossible or whatever burger takes?

7+ Year Old Account
    A young girl gave almost the same speech almost 20 years ago. The main difference between then and now is the reaction to it by the public. Back then the girl was praised as brave and inspiring for wanting to save the planet, but now in the same situation the little girl (who's only goal is to save the planet) is attacked and vilified by hypocrites and partisan politics. If there was ever an example of how far society's morals have dropped I'd say this comparison does it justice.
    Quite the opposite, it shows just how much society has progressed morally in the last 20 years. Society doesn't progress via confirmation bias and praise but insead by disagreement. If society doesn't have a culture of vicious debate, theorizing explanations and criticisms then it is a static and illiberal society.