Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Anyone else find Nathanos cringe-worthy and hope he dies soon?

I remember ol' Blightcaller as well as anyone who played Vanilla, and initially, I'd been kind of excited to see him develop as a character.

But instead, he just comes off as a bland weeaboo to waifu Sylvanas.

I just can't take him seriously in any capacity now. Not to mention, the whole bullshit of him going toe-to-toe with an *empowered* Tyrande (and don't give me that shit about "oh, the Val'kyr made him overpowered, too").

I just feel like the character is worse than forgettable, he actively ruins scenes he participates in. Not to mention, talked mad shit to players during Legion, and now he's just openly referring to Sylvanas as "my love". Ugh...

I mean, BFA has been a fucking travesty in almost everything it has attempted to do (other than Kul Tiras being a very well laid-out continent). But Nathanos just makes it a bit worse, just like he does everything else he's involved with.

He'll probably sacrifice himself and die in the arms of Sylvanas.

And that will fuel Sylvanas to take up the mantle of Kerrigan.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    All self insert characters deserve to die horrible deaths.

ENOUGH!

/Deletes thread from existence and stuns OP
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It's literally one of the writers who is obsessed with Sylvanas and self-inserting through Nathanos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think he is a nice corruption of the trend that the other Windrunner sisters started with their human mates. It feel like Nathanos ALWAYS had feelings for Sylvanas, but that was unrequited. And that Sylvanas might have been manipulating him for his talent, even before her death. As for him fighting on equal footing to Tyrande, don't forget he is technically a first-gen death knight, former second-in-command to the Ranger General, and the Forsaken's greatest fighter and commander even before becoming a death knight. He seems a bit tragic, with Sylvanas stringing him along through multiple lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    "xavius masquerades as malfurion, runs about the forest screaming MY LOVE the forum is up in flames"

"Cringeworthy self insert ends his monologue with MY LOVE and there is silence"
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Nathanos is at his most interesting when he's actually questioning Sylvanas's decisions, and that's like... maybe 1% of his character. Even that feels a bit generous

Blightcaller would have been 100 percent better as a silent enforcer who excutes the Banshee Queen's will instead of the smug self-insert we have.

Yeah man no idea what's going on between Nathanos and Sylvanas. Their relationship was kind of implied before, but in Loyalist cutscene the way she talks to him as if she was about to have an orgasm and him replying "my love" was, ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I do think he is a nice corruption of the trend that the other Windrunner sisters started with their human mates. It feel like Nathanos ALWAYS had feelings for Sylvanas, but that was unrequited. And that Sylvanas might have been manipulating him for his talent, even before her death. As for him fighting on equal footing to Tyrande, don't forget he is technically a first-gen death knight, former second-in-command to the Ranger General, and the Forsaken's greatest fighter and commander even before becoming a death knight. He seems a bit tragic, with Sylvanas stringing him along through multiple lives.
    You didn't read Dark Mirror, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    He was never a Death Knight; merely undead. In fact, when Sylvanas first found him after breaking free of Arthas, he was just a regular ol' ghoul, running around trying to eat dem brains. Not to say he wasn't a force to be reckoned with, but certainly not to the point he can stand against God-tier characters.

He's not that great, no. The main problem is that he's neither likeable nor charismatic, and his role in the story is just to serve as the hand of Sylvanas, which gives him very little personal agency. He doesn't really service the plot in an interesting way nor does he create fun scenes in and of himself. The bit about him loving Sylvanas is actually the most interesting moment I think he's had as a character in BfA. His loyalty being based on infatuation is a much stronger and more believable motivation that most characters have, and it could be a gateway to giving both of them a little more depth if it gets explored further.

He's not a weeaboo though, but he is just Sylvanas' bitch-boy. It's...horrible.

He cramps sylvanas' style. Hes like that cartoon character in every disney movie, where the bad guy says a line, then this goofy mother fucker in the back repeats it or just says "yeah!" and ruins the moment.

Thats Nathanos, in every piece of dialogue. He is so fucking annoying. Sylvanas will say a load of dark shit and you're all like "ohhh damn, whats gonna happen now.. hang on Nathanos is talking.."

Nathanos: Haha, "CHAMPION" xD, you don't know shit LOLE. TOTALLY down with the Horde btw We aren't evil by the way We're sneaky right now

Remember in season 1 of Breaking Bad when Tuco just gets done doing a deal with WW and Jesse and Tuco says you know, meet you next week or whatever. Then the dumb ass side kick says "Just remember who you work for" , while Tuco has already left and WW and Jesse are already halfway back to their car? Yeah, thats Nathanos.

Unfortunately Nathanos doesn't get his ass beat by Sylvanas for speaking out of line every 30 seconds.

Its so lame too, because he used to be so cool. Even in Legion he wasn't that bad, him messing with Greymane and all. Just BFA onwards he has turned into a disney villain sidekick.

Really don't care about him... just has no personality like some other important characters. If he disappears tomorrow, I doubt I would even noticed... But I do believe he will somehow save Sylvanas, die by doing this and she will realize what has she done or better to say, what has her master done through her.

Didn't Sylvanas refer to him as her consort in one of the books?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    He was never a Death Knight; merely undead. In fact, when Sylvanas first found him after breaking free of Arthas, he was just a regular ol' ghoul, running around trying to eat dem brains. Not to say he wasn't a force to be reckoned with, but certainly not to the point he can stand against God-tier characters.
    He was before, but now he is a first-gen Death Knight, like Terron Gorefiend. A soul in the intact body of a human paladin.

I really like Nathanos, mostly because he is as annoying as he is. I usually like cynical characters that keep being cynical and not turn out to be 'simply a hard shell with a good heart' after having talked to you.

But I already feel really sorry for him, because he thinks he will be with Sylvanas in hell, but I really think he will be alone in death and in hell.

And if one 'my love' is enough to be cringeworthy for a goodbye, then I don't know how you'd ever write a love-story. I mean, Tyrande and Xavius-Malfurion's "dialogue" was cringeworthy, even if it wasn't really between the lovers, but a taunt. But two words as the extent at which a love is acknowledged is really not too much.

No, he's the only character who is consistent, with clear purpose and path, and who doesn't change his mind about what he wants every 10 minutes. He's the redeeming factor of BfA's story.