Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's no debate. If you're clicking then your left hand is basically doing fuck all while the right does the vast majority of the heavy lifting. You're moving with the keyboard anyway so you may as well make use of the rest of your fingers. Being able to do more things simultaneously is obviously a huge advantage - even more so when you're also binding stuff on your mouse. It doesn't matter if you click really fast with your mouse turned up to a billion dpi, you're still making multiple functions compete for the use of your mouse movement when there's literally no need to do that whatsoever.

It's just worse. Stop doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    The confession is in the subject. I have (for the most part), just clicked my way through the game since Vanilla, using various mods and such of course. No matter how often someone tries to convert me, I just can't shake my clicking play style. That said, it has never caused me to under-perform in healing or dps. Ever. In fact, I usually perform better than people who swear by keybinds. So is it REALLY that much better, easier and efficient?

It could be that I'm working twice as hard as everyone else for the same result, I don't know. Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    honestly, you do you, just dont pvp or do any hard content.

The confession is in the subject. I have (for the most part), just clicked my way through the game since Vanilla, using various mods and such of course. No matter how often someone tries to convert me, I just can't shake my clicking play style. That said, it has never caused me to under-perform in healing or dps. Ever. In fact, I usually perform better than people who swear by keybinds. So is it REALLY that much better, easier and efficient?

It could be that I'm working twice as hard as everyone else for the same result, I don't know. Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    If it's not working for you after 15 years, then I wouldn't bother trying to force it. A good clicker is better than a bad binder.

But for God's sake, atleast keybind your interrupt ability!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    But if it is, then why am I doing just fine when everyone else in my group is binding?
    I have 2 legs and fortunately, I can walk. I can go to the same places as my friends that drive cars. That doesn't mean I go as fast as them, even if I run

Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    When I started playing I didn't even think to keybind at all, and one of my friends convinced me to make the transition. It takes time, becuase it's a coordination thing; a bit like playing the piano, you can learn the part for your right hand and left hand independently, but then you have to learn to put them together and it's a case of practicing over and over again until your brain stops completely shitting itself.

My advice would be to start slow, and bind your core rotational abilities somewhere near wasd so you can get to them easily. You need to be able to press stuff without really thinking about it eventually so it's a case of finding whatever feels most comfortable. Then you just hit a target dummy standing still for ages, maybe move stuff around to see what feels best, and do that until your rotation is muscle memory. After that it's a case of running dungeons etc to get used to doing it all with movement and mechanics, and you just start slowly binding utility/defensives and getting used to where they are until you're binding everything that you need to use.

It's just practice, and taking things at a pace where you don't get overwhelemed and feeling like you're playing poorly. It's honestly worth it though, completely transformed my ability to play the game. A huge plus as well is that once you find a set of binds you're happy with, you can pretty much use the same ones for any class you play - I have certain binds for certain ability types i.e. filler, proc, shield, major defensive, interrupt etc and it honestly takes a lot of the confusion out of learning a new spec If you can't remember exactly what you had bound on that key, you know roughly what it's going to do when you press it.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2019-09-28 at 12:50 PM.

If you're a caster in PVE clicking isn't the end of the world. But any melee class in PVE or PVP you will suffer. PVP in general you should use keybinds for any class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it better? Yes.
    Do you need to do it? If you find yourself falling behind everyone else, and want to change that, yes.

There's really no need to change if you can do all the content you want at a decent pace and aren't holding people back.

Dude in my guild is a clicker and pretty damn decent, certain fights he is a little behind though, but nothing that would make you tell him to learn to play with all 5 fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    Oh, okay, so can I hear how what combination of button/mouse presses you do now, cause this doesn't sound like you're a clicker to me. This sounds like Shift/CTRL/ALT with a mouse button, but when I hear someone saying "clicker" I'm thinking the person who has the spell on their action bar, goes over and clicks on the spell, then drags their mouse over the nameplate/target frame and clicks that. If you're just hovering over a name in something like HealBot and just pressing shift/left click there, that's not a clicker to me, you've got it binded to something.
    ^ This. Since you need to use you mouse to select/mouse-over anyways, healing Healbot style is not really ‘clicking’. Yes, you are using your mouse and click a lot. But your keybinds are your now your mouse buttons.

I personally prefer Healbot style ‘clicking’ over mouse-over. Simply because you have less stuff on your action bar and more room for CD’s + Offensive spells.

Clicking the Action Bar however, well, a no go for your main abilities, but Timewarp for example is not on my keybinds. Less likely to trigger it accidentally.
    Last edited by Nohara; 2019-09-28 at 01:21 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keybindings are better, but stick with what you are comfortable with. It's a Videogame, just have fun.

Yes, it increases your performance drastically.

It doesn't mean that you HAVE to do it, but without keybinding you are severely limited in higher up contents and any meaningful pvp.

And trust me, if you get used to keybinding your gaming experience will be waaay better than before
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

if you crave attention gtfo to tumblr, noone cares here

Keybinding is better, no discussion to be had. If all you want is to do acceptably, who even cares.

Some arguments here are dumb.

First of all you assume someone needs to move mouse more than 60-70 pixels at the time with is incorrect, you can setup UI with core rotation on one bar really close to each other near the center of screen. Time needed to click is way below GCD.

2nd, moving and performing rotation, well, not all classes even can do that. Also, usually you need to strife couple of meters anyways (assuming dude uses at least WSAD).

I play 70% of using keybinds and 30% using mouse clicks, usually switch whenever I feel like it, or when i take a smoke. The only thing i don't/can't do with mouse is aoe spells that requires confirmation of area like blizzard, bombers etc. Because i setup
    Code:
    /cast [@cursor] Blizzard
    Macros so if I click on that with mouse, it will cast blizzard under my feet.

So yes, clicking can be proficient if you can click fast and use WSAD. However keybinds are simply easier especially when you setup your spells like this

Q123ER4T
    ZXCF

and other keys near the wsad. Wanted to see someone who can get high with clicks? Here you go (HFC was a time when i last gave a shit about rankings):
    https://i.imgur.com/fCIdhsY.png

Tho as I said, im neither clicker nor keybinder. I use both, and switch multiple times per fight between those two methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    No, its not.
    The main reasons why "clicking" is bad are things you would have gotten past by now.

The big issues are as follows:
    It will take time in between key presses to move the mouse from key to key, and this may take longer than the GCD.
    Moving the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to click a spell will often cause you to click something incorrectly.
    and most importantly, using the mouse to click spells means you can't use it to move as well.

How do you feel you deal with these three issues?

Because one of the best DPS in our guild is a life long clicker and he has no problem with any of them.
    Movement at times can be rough, but it depends what you play obviously. If you are playing a turret ranged, it barely matters.

edit - Ahh and ya abilities off the GCD obviously are the problem too. Good point, hadn't considered that.
    How do you deal with those? Interrupts, etc?

One way to fix it is play Demo lock, like the aforementioned player haha!

Show logs.

It slightly increases your reaction time, and lets you multitask better, which is great for higher tiers of pvm (heroic +) and pretty much any PvP.

I added f1-4 to "small sub-1 minute cooldowns I need to use regularly" and shift-1-6 to "longer cds." R to mobility "run away", t to either taunt or a tanking ability, shift-x and c for mounts.

...and I started getting carpal tunnel problems in my left arm due to it all. And started clicking again. Find your balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    You are bottlenecking your own performance.
    Really, for classic and tbc, clicking isn’t that bad. It’s when the heavy mechanic fights when it bottlenecks performance. Ya know, later wrath on up, I wanna say ulduar is where you should stop clicking.

Honestly,some of the best players I ever met in my years of high end raiding were clickers
    The misconception people make is that since new players are clicker,you can't click at a high level.

But if you're actually good at clicking,you can be as good as someone using keybindings.The thing is to find the way of playing that helps you play at your maximum potential.I'd say try both and stick with what feels better

Thanks for responding non-harshly (like many of the others here). It sounds like I actually AM keybinding the way most healers do based on your feedback. Even though it's mostly mouse buttons with shift/alt/etc. That would explain why I'm doing so well as a healer I guess. But for dps, that's where it seems like I differ from most people. But, even with that, I guess I can just get a multi button mouse and get away with exactly what I'm doing and still keep WASD. I think THAT is what throws me from keybinding more than anything, just not being able to acclimate to movement other than what I currently do.

I watched some videos and I can see how mashing 'x' key and 'y' key or whatever instead of timed clicking would be more beneficial. With the clicking, I'm watching GCDs and clicking abilities when those are up rather than just button-mashing with macros. Question: If you're moving with your mouse, how are you going backwards? It seems very non-intuitive to do anything but move forward with the mouse.
    It sounds to me like you have keybinds on your mouse, which isn't the same thing as clicking.

When people say clicking, they mean moving your mouse over the button on the hotbar to press that rather than using a button input. Mouse buttons count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

I used to be top healer with Druid back in Cata and legion, then my friend introduced clique with this sentence: "you already heal this good, imagine what happens when you use healing add ons." and when I did use them, I dropped so fucking bad.

so for me, oldschool original UI of the game is far easier to use than 500000 addons people have on their clients. but I believe for most people thats not the case.

that was an addon example, but I also have very limited keybinds beside my numerical, original keybinds, I have only 3 and use my mounse clicks for others.