Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Two dead after roller coaster derails

Two people were killed and two others injured when a roller coaster jumped its track at a popular amusement park in Mexico City on Saturday, Notimex, Mexico's state-run news agency, reported.

The accident happened on the Chimera ride at the Feria de Chapultepec in the Mexico City township of Miguel Hidalgo, Notimex said.
    Video shared on social media appears to show one of the coaster's carriages coming off the tracks. Eyewitnesses told local media that the victims fell to the ground.
    The carriage hit a metal structure that is also part of the Chimera ride, Notimex said.
    The fair posted a message to its Facebook page Saturday saying it "deeply regrets the terrible accident that occurred," and is providing support to those affected.
    "Together with authorities, we are carrying out the pertinent investigations," the statement said.
    Mexico's Secretariat for Integral Management and Risk told Reuters, "This is now in the hands of the Prosecutors' Office who have already opened inquiries for an investigation into what happened, how did it happened, who is responsible and how to proceed moving forward."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/29/world...ead/index.html

This kind of news makes me want to stay far away from roller coasters in the future, even though you have a better chance of getting hurt to or from an amusement park.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is one thing I have not did in decades and never plan on doing again. Riding a roller coaster. Too risky. And it is true, the odds may be lower than when you drive on the roads, but I have good reasons to be driving on the roads and thrills is not one of them. I live a boring life to some now and am very happy doing it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll stick to more streamlined amusement parks like Six Flags and Busch Gardens for my roller coaster fun. Not that those choices make much of a difference as anything could go wrong, but if I feel saf(er) enough while patronizing those parks, that's good enough for me.

The Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia is still the best roller coaster to wait 2 hours for. Although there is that famous (infamous?) incident where a guy jumped over the railing while waiting in line for the Superman roller coaster. He was decapitated by somebody's foot in one of the carts zooming right above him.

True story

10+ Year Old Account
    those photos have some of the worst resolutions i have ever seen. reminds me of one of those terrible 1990's camera's where you could just barely make anything out at all.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is one thing I have not did in decades and never plan on doing again. Riding a roller coaster. Too risky. And it is true, the odds may be lower than when you drive on the roads, but I have good reasons to be driving on the roads and thrills is not one of them. I live a boring life to some now and am very happy doing it.
    It's only certain coaster that I wouldn't ride. The Mean Streak is a good example of it. It always hurt my back because of how jerky it was. The Magnum as well. It was the first coaster I rode when I was little and it scared the shit out of me.

There are still many coasters that I would ride at cedar point though. I love the raptor and the Gemini. Though I think the Gemini should be retired as well due to it's age.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Pfft two poeple? Our god is much nicer than I was when I used to play roller coaster tycoon.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

To be honest the roller coaster is my least favorite ride on an amusement part. I feel like I become more scared of riding a roller coaster after watching Final Destination.

15+ Year Old Account
    mild fear of heights + stories like this have kept me off roller coasters for my 29 years of life
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    mild fear of heights + stories like this have kept me off roller coasters for my 29 years of life
    To be fair for 9-12 of your years you were likely not allowed to ride roller coasters due to your size.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Your more likely to get killed by most other things.

I used to love it when i was younger and i took every ride there was, not so much now though.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    And it is true, the odds may be lower than when you drive on the roads, but I have good reasons to be driving on the roads and thrills is not one of them. I live a boring life to some now and am very happy doing it.
    If you think about this logically, this only holds true if you only ever use the car for necessary journeys. Any time you drive to bowling, the cinema, a sports game, etc you are effectively taking more risk for the activity even though the activity itself may not be dangerous.

I love roller coasters and will continue to ride them, everything we do in life has danger to it and I refuse to do nothing because I might die when in reality death cannot be escaped, we all die.

That's sad. But with that being said, you're more likely to die from a distracted driver than you are from a roller coaster.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    If you think about this logically, this only holds true if you only ever use the car for necessary journeys. Any time you drive to bowling, the cinema, a sports game, etc you are effectively taking more risk for the activity even though the activity itself may not be dangerous.
    That's a good point. But I am still not going to take unnecessary risks with objects I do not normally use, for only thrills. The large majority of the time, I use the vehicles for stuff not related to entertainment.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

They hit their heads causing massive head trauma... i e. Decapitated or caved in.

Lovely...

It being Mexican what's the chances of this park being poorly run with corners cut on the maintenance and safety?
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-09-30 at 12:23 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. People are there to have a good time, and this happens. :|

Not something I'll have to worry about happening to me. Roller coasters (or any kind of tilty whirl ride or whatever those are called, etc) are a huge fucking Nope for me. You could not pay me money to go on any of those.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    To be fair for 9-12 of your years you were likely not allowed to ride roller coasters due to your size.
    i can give you the low end there because i was damn near 6' tall before i was 12
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

I don't think this is a concern at any of the major parks here. Every time I read these stories it always turns out to be a carnival-tier operation. Like that kid who died at a water park in Nebraska I think it was. Turns out it was a total D-grade park. But go on over to Six Flags or Disneyland? Very, very low chance that the carts go flying off the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't think this is a concern at any of the major parks here. Every time I read these stories it always turns out to be a carnival-tier operation. Like that kid who died at a water park in Nebraska I think it was. Turns out it was a total D-grade park. But go on over to Six Flags or Disneyland? Very, very low chance that the carts go flying off the track.
    It was also the steepest water slide in the world. They should have had more safety precautions. Also was in Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Mexico....
    Yeh lol. End the thread right there. It's sad but I'm guessing Mexico doesnt have same standards as US for safety.