10+ Year Old Account

Going to Dubrovnik, Kroatia

In three weeks, I'm going to Dubrovnik, and I was wondering if it's nessesary to exchange currency (to Kuna??) or I can rely on my trusty Visa for everything (including public transportation, restaurants, taxis, tour guides etc etc)?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's necessary to get currency. It's like that in most European countries ( and Japan).

Just bring your debit card and go to an ATM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn.. I hate cash, and haven't used it (except for a few occasions) for almost 30 years..

It costs huge sums to use ATMs, so that's not an option. Thus I need to bring from home.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2019-09-30 at 11:35 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Damn.. I hate cash, and haven't used it (except for a few occasions) for almost 30 years..

It costs huge sums to use ATMs, so that's not an option. Thus I need to bring from home.
    Uh, most banks will only charge a 2-3% international withdrawal fee.

So like, if you take out the maximum amount (usually 200 USD) they'll charge you an extra 6$...

10+ Year Old Account
    /cry This sounds so primitive -- cash or cards? You guys don't have phone apps for payments?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    /cry This sounds so primitive -- cash or cards? You guys don't have phone apps for payments?
    Not everyone uses a phone app. or even has a cell phone. Like myself.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Uh, most banks will only charge a 2-3% international withdrawal fee.

So like, if you take out the maximum amount (usually 200 USD) they'll charge you an extra 6$...
    It costs a minimum of 30DKK (pretty much the same in Kuna, as exchange rate seems to be 101:100) for each withdrawal in ATMs, where exchange in the bank is free... Go figure

- - - Updated - - -

The only phone apps (I know of) are for domestic use only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther
    Not everyone uses a phone app. or even has a cell phone. Like myself.
    Well, ya Luddite, catch up! My parents are in their 80s and manage. Stop using that Betamax while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42
    Why would you expect your phone to work in some random other country? How will you even manage in the backwoods of the world?
    Pssst! Did you miss the part in the OP where he said he was going to Dubrovnik? That's not exactly a random other country, Croatia is a modernizing European country with a growing tourist industry, and Dubrovnik isn't exactly a village in the middle of nowhere. Do I expect my phone to work under those circumstances? Yes, I do. In the backwoods, I don't expect my credit cards to work either, so what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK
    The only phone apps (I know of) are for domestic use only.
    Paypal hasn't branched out? I thought they were heading that direction. Ouch! Well, good luck!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I love my betamax...*shakes fist at all cheeky youngsters*

10+ Year Old Account
    Paypal hasn't branched out? I thought they were heading that direction. Ouch! Well, good luck!
    I've been to 30 odd countries, and I have yet to see a single shop or similar (in the physical world), that accepts PayPal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jobob42
    What is your point?
    My point is very simple, phone payment are increasingly a part of modern life. While I prefer not to seem to endorse a particular service, here is one example (but notice that the partners are yet other examples of phone payment services in Europe):

In early June, Alipay announced a collaboration with six European mobile wallet services. The goal is to establish a “unified” QR code that allows Alipay users to make payments at any location that already accepts one of the payment services. Once fully implemented, Chinese travelers will be able to make payments using Alipay across a network of 190,000 merchants in 10 European countries. The plan is to gradually expand the program to include more markets.

Aside from aiding the consumer, the new initiative is a major boost for retailers. The unified QR code means merchants can handle any Chinese customer who wants to pay with Alipay as long as they already accept one of the six European mobile wallets.

Eric Jing, Chairman and CEO at Ant Financial, has hailed the collaboration as an important development: “We feel honored to help promote a smart lifestyle and digital experiences in Europe, while continuing to connect more merchants with more Chinese tourists,” Jing said.

The European mobile wallets partnering with Alipay on the project are Bluecode (Austria), ePassi (Finland), momo Pocket (Spain), Pagaqui (Portugal), Pivo (Finland), and Vipps (Norway). Alipay already serves around 1 billion customers with a similar program in partnership with local payment providers across Asia.
    Source: https://skift.com/2019/08/11/alipay-...sts-in-europe/

Leading lifestyle and payments app Alipay has partnered with six mobile wallets in Europe to promote the easy use of QR code-based digital payments for travelers both on the Continent and from China.

Aiming for a launch this summer, Austria’s Bluecode, Helsinki-based ePassi, Spanish payments app Momo Pocket, Pagaqui of Portugal, Finland’s Pivo, Oslo-based Vipps and Alipay are working towards adopting a unified QR code based on Alipay technology. ePassi and Bluecode will offer technical services to the participating wallets to simplify the integration process.

Once the rollout is complete, users of the six participating European digital wallets will be able to make QR code-based payments with their home apps at local merchants in 10 European countries where those apps are accepted. For merchants, it means accepting payments not only from users of their home-market apps but from those of the six other partners as well.
    Source: https://www.alizila.com/six-european...pay-qr-format/

Alipay is currently seen as primarily Chinese, or at least Asian, but as the second quote shows they are now tying together various services in Europe. Given the choice between using a phone app that will check for connection security, or a credit card (which doesn't check for connection security and is vulnerable), I'd rather use a phone app. Being expected to carry around wads of cash, especially in multiple currencies pre-Euro, was something I did in the 80s. I kind of expected the world to have moved on from that.

Now, did you have a point, or do you really think Dubrovnik is on a level with the Bushmen?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal
    *shakes fist at all cheeky youngsters*
    <bungee leans heavily on his cane to chortle in senile mirth> Betamax is newfangled tech. Hell, it doesn't even have room for proper vacuum tubes!

In the days of my youth, you watched black and white TV and you were grateful! >.>

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK
    I've been to 30 odd countries
    Well, heck! There's your problem! Stop going to the odd ones.

More seriously though, I'm surprised they're lagging and letting Alipay get ahead.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-10-01 at 04:46 AM. Reason: avoiding chain posting

Please enjoy my country to your hearts content. But also please learn how to spell my countrys name, Croatia, correctly.

Or just say Hrvatska, in our language. One or two words like hvala (thx) or molim (you're welcome) will win you some locals

About the money... Pay with cash if you want to avoid credit card fees. Usually I bring cash and exchange money at at fee-less exchange booths all around the cities (those are 100 legal and legit). Do not go to a bank, they charge a fee.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh btw, we're quite into tech. A lot of stores accept shit like google or apple pay. However, if you're planning to go sightseeing away from the town and wander around, nobody will accept plastic. Many goods (especially food) from street sellers and local farmers can only be bought with cash directly and it would be a shame to miss out on that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to use a taxi, take an uber and pay via app. Dubrovnik is shit for cars though and the old town cannot be accessed via anything else but your own feet anyway.
    In Dubrovnik you can buy a city pass (not sure anymore how much it is) that allows you to use public transportation free of extra charge and gives you some other discounts as well for the tourist attractions.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2019-10-01 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Please enjoy my country to your hearts content. But also please learn how to spell my countrys name, Croatia, correctly.

Or just say Hrvatska, in our language. One or two words like hvala (thx) or molim (you're welcome) will win you some locals

About the money... Pay with cash if you want to avoid credit card fees. Usually I bring cash and exchange money at at fee-less exchange booths all around the cities (those are 100 legal and legit). Do not go to a bank, they charge a fee.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh btw, we're quite into tech. A lot of stores accept shit like google or apple pay. However, if you're planning to go sightseeing away from the town and wander around, nobody will accept plastic. Many goods (especially food) from street sellers and local farmers can only be bought with cash directly and it would be a shame to miss out on that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to use a taxi, take an uber and pay via app. Dubrovnik is shit for cars though and the old town cannot be accessed via anything else but your own feet anyway.
    In Dubrovnik you can buy a city pass (not sure anymore how much it is) that allows you to use public transportation free of extra charge and gives you some other discounts as well for the tourist attractions.
    I think I will refrain from pronouncing the name in Croatian, in order to not break my tongue

The City Pass sounds like a good idea, where do you buy them? Tourist Information etc?

As a cab driver myself, I can assure you, I will never set foot in an Uber car, anywhere in the world

Croatia is a modernizing European country with a growing tourist industry.
    Even well established countries like germany got a lot of places where you can't use something as banal as a credit cart.
    Though croatia is a growing country with increasing tourism, it's kindda odd to expect them to have implemented all those things when some of the big countries and most tourist traps (greece, Czech republik, lot of spain/portugal etc.) can't even live up to that standard.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is very simple, phone payment are increasingly a part of modern life. While I prefer not to seem to endorse a particular service, here is one example (but notice that the partners are yet other examples of phone payment services in Europe):

<textwall of mobile pay platforms>
    Just because they're expanding to europe doesn't mean it'll see widespread usage, as the stores need to adapt it as well.
    And considering there's a whole bunch of stores (especially the small local and mom & pop style stores) that wont even cash out for the license to accept international cards (e.g domestic only), then it's a long leg to see the mobile payment platforms to become widespread (shit even experienced a store in belgium refusing to accept international cards on purchases on tobacco, because they would lose money on it due to the low profit margins and the fee/license fee they have to pay to process it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, ya Luddite, catch up! My parents are in their 80s and manage. Stop using that Betamax while you're at it.
    Lol! Betamax? What the hell is that? The landline phone we have? Out here in the boondocks, if you rely only on your cable wireless connection for phone service, you will have days when there is no phone service. The phone lines out here, stay up more often then the cable line does.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    @freezion I'm sure you'd know current conditions in Europe better than I do. What the hell, I hear West Germany isn't a thing anymore and somehow both the French and the Germans have ended up using the same currency.

Still, when Chinese farmers selling fruit off the back of a truck can manage it, it would seem that things must be pretty screwed up if Europe can't handle phone wallets.

Edit: Well, son of a duck! Somewhat on point, I see this just popped up on the news: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/30/t...nts/index.html

@Ghostpanther Ah, so *Ohio* is the primitive middle of nowhere the one guy was referring to. Isn't it tough to get a long enough cable for that land line to drive very far? Now, I'll grant my parents are even further into their dotage than I am, but one thing they use their mobile phones for is when they travel.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-10-01 at 01:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @freezion
    @Ghostpanther Ah, so *Ohio* is the primitive middle of nowhere the one guy was referring to. Isn't it tough to get a long enough cable for that land line to drive very far? Now, I'll grant my parents are even further into their dotage than I am, but one thing they use their mobile phones for is when they travel.
    Depends on what part of Ohio you are talking about. In the eastern hills of the state, it is more remote. But there are cable lines out here where I live and we have 100 meg service. The issue with it however, is they cross a lot of trees getting here and if we have a ice or high wind storm, they can get knocked down. Does not happen as often with the phone lines, as they have been there for a much longer time, are lower to the ground and have heavier shielding.

And as I noted before, my wife uses a smart phone. But never uses it to pay for something. We use the computers. When we go to town, credit cards, as all of the places we need to buy things, have terminals for such. And we do not travel much anymore and esp out of the country. So it is never a issue using credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I think I will refrain from pronouncing the name in Croatian, in order to not break my tongue

The City Pass sounds like a good idea, where do you buy them? Tourist Information etc?

As a cab driver myself, I can assure you, I will never set foot in an Uber car, anywhere in the world
    Yes, you can get them directly from the tourist information. I advise you though to skip cabs anyway completely. Most of the city is a one-way street because of the insane location it's at. Rather rent a bike or something like that and only take a cab IF the lift to the top of the near little mountain isn't working (do not skip that, the view is incredible!!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yes, you can get them directly from the tourist information. I advise you though to skip cabs anyway completely. Most of the city is a one-way street because of the insane location it's at. Rather rent a bike or something like that and only take a cab IF the lift to the top of the near little mountain isn't working (do not skip that, the view is incredible!!)
    Thanx for the tips