Poll: Jean Grey vs Captain Marvel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Rogue would steal Marvel's powers to begin with...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    I've only seen the Captain Marvel/End Game movies so my question is this: Have we ever seen if CM can evolve further than she already has?
    In the comics she can get powered up quite a bit by absorbing enough energy...but it's still nowhere near Phoenix level.

Captain Marvel is, on her best day, potentially a Planet Buster
    The Phoenix Force is a casual Star Buster.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, we don't even see Carol Danvers as being that super-powerful in her intro film or Endgame. She punches her way through a single spaceship, and can enter FTL speed in space by herself. She's definitely strong, particularly when most of the MCU are relatively powered-down from their comics version (Thor's close, Hulk could simply be in his early days and they haven't set limits), but it's not crazy-stupid over the top. Sure, she was blapping Kree in her intro film, but fuck, we've seen regular humans do that on Agents of SHIELD. Cap would've beat the crap out of 'em, too.

She's strong, but like others have said, "strong" on a planetary defense scale. We've already seen plenty of movie characters who've got way more power. Hell, while it's more subtle, I'd put long odds on Doctor Strange in the MCU being able to handle her just fine, if push came to shove. He might not be able to stand up to her toe-to-toe, but he'll drop her into a pocket dimension and go have some tea while she cools down.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Really, we don't even see Carol Danvers as being that super-powerful in her intro film or Endgame. She punches her way through a single spaceship, and can enter FTL speed in space by herself. She's definitely strong, particularly when most of the MCU are relatively powered-down from their comics version (Thor's close, Hulk could simply be in his early days and they haven't set limits), but it's not crazy-stupid over the top. Sure, she was blapping Kree in her intro film, but fuck, we've seen regular humans do that on Agents of SHIELD. Cap would've beat the crap out of 'em, too.

She's strong, but like others have said, "strong" on a planetary defense scale. We've already seen plenty of movie characters who've got way more power. Hell, while it's more subtle, I'd put long odds on Doctor Strange in the MCU being able to handle her just fine, if push came to shove. He might not be able to stand up to her toe-to-toe, but he'll drop her into a pocket dimension and go have some tea while she cools down.
    That alone means infinite power, she could literally just The-Last-Jedi-FTL-Explode through Jean.

Phoenix can stop time so, entering FTL really doesn't mean much when it comes to such a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    That alone means infinite power, she could literally just The-Last-Jedi-FTL-Explode through Jean.
    And if you know anything about jean grey is that death is merely a set back. Her teammates don’t even get shock anymore when she comes back from the dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a stalemate for the ages, you can't kill what's already dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Phoenix can stop time so, entering FTL really doesn't mean much when it comes to such a scale.
    FTL allows for the same as well as timetravel so they're about equal in my book.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

A stalemate?
    Not even close.

I mean. Maybe if some idiot is writing the script, CM might beat DP. But generally? Carol Danvers is a snowflake and Jean Grey is the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    It's a stalemate for the ages, you can't kill what's already dead.
    Not really Jean is on another power scale.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a contest. If Rogue can put her in a coma throughout the entirety of the X-Men cartoon, the all Jean Grey (not even Dark or normal Phoenix) will have to do is fucking wipe her memory clean.

Still no contest in Phoenix form. This is a mutant who accidentally obliterated a random galaxy due to a hiccup in her power as she was passing through.

Which started that whole war between the X-Men and the Sha’ar Empire (not sure of the name). I just remember the cartoon and early comics, so I have no idea how fucking strong she is now...haven’t collected comics since I was 15 and I’m 35. So way behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    And if you know anything about jean grey is that death is merely a set back. Her teammates don’t even get shock anymore when she comes back from the dead.
    She is the Kenny of the X-Men.

Maybe this needs to be posted again:

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Rogue would steal Marvel's powers to begin with...
    I still wonder if Kevin Feige will do that in the MCU when Brie Larson is done playing the character.

Is this even a contest? One is a universal level power, the other is just a strong chick / superman spinoff.

The phoenix is a universal+ cosmic being who's purpose is to destroy on a multiversal level (iirc, I don't read Xmen like that).

Captain marvel got BTFO by Rogue, I think we know who wins here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

FTL allows for the same as well as timetravel so they're about equal in my book.
    You can't be serious. Someone is able to move faster than spacetime vs someone who can literally fullstop spacetime? Let alone do other things whilst stopping spacetime?>

Its Jean Grey but not for the reason anyone's stated.

The Telepath always wins over anyone who doesn't have the strength of mind to resist. There's nothing remarkable about the mind of Captain Trademark Squatter.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    You can't be serious. Someone is able to move faster than spacetime vs someone who can literally fullstop spacetime? Let alone do other things whilst stopping spacetime?>
    Moving at the speed of light is stopping time, even if one is much more powerful than the other I fail to see either of them winning over the other with what their abilities are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its Jean Grey but not for the reason anyone's stated.

The Telepath always wins over anyone who doesn't have the strength of mind to resist. There's nothing remarkable about the mind of Captain Trademark Squatter.
    I thought the entire plot of the CM movie besides telling her origin story revolved around her acquiring strength of mind to resist such tricks?
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As much as people bitch about Danvers' power level in the MCU, it's not that frickin' crazy. She's arguably more powerful than Thor, but plenty of characters in the comics are, and it's a fairly fine line there even so. Sure, she punched through a ship, but Thor survived the concentrated energy of an entire sun blasting past him.

And given that Phoenix is borderline reality-reshaping, it's not even close. Everyone in the MCU is a sailboat, and even if Danvers is the big-ass 60 footer, Phoenix is the SHIELD helicarrier.
    Her binary form was whack in her own movie. They forgot to give her a weakness, something every hero absolutely has to have since the days of Greek tragedies. Thor’s power level is acceptable because he’s shown time and time again failing or tackling his own sense of self-worth.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2019-10-02 at 12:59 AM.

Moving at the speed of light is stopping time, even if one is much more powerful than the other I fail to see either of them winning over the other with what their abilities are.
    That's because you don't know the Phoenix beyond what you may have saw in some awful movie.
    The pic above shows how destructive Dark Phoenix became when she was hungry...

That Watcher explained who and what Jean was later on...