Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    Question: If you're moving with your mouse, how are you going backwards? It seems very non-intuitive to do anything but move forward with the mouse.
    You NEVER press move backwards EVER unless you are positioning as a tank, you only strafe or mouse turn. 1st step in keybinding is to unbind left/right turn and backpedal. AND no this is not even a preference, this is basic movement that should be default, i dont even care if someone is a clicker or not, but this is how you should move. Your guild or ANY WoW 101 guide should have thought you this 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2019-10-02 at 01:45 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I was a clicker/keyboard turner until Wrath came along. I kind of went in steps and took it slowly, but things improved for me a lot once I got used to using keybindings.

First thing I did was rebind A and D to left and right strafe (instead of turning left or right with the default setting). Then just ran around for a week or two, getting used to that (still clicking, didn't change that yet). That forced me to stop keyboard turning and use my mouse for turning.

I started thinking "man, it's kind of a pain in the ass to both click abilities and use my mouse for turning" after doing that for a little while. So I started binding some of my more important abilities. Only 3-4 to start. Got used to that, slowly added more, and now I use keybindings for nearly everything. It makes a world of difference.

One other tip I can give there is don't try to copy what some pro player (or anyone else) is doing as far as keybindings. Use whatever is most comfortable to you. I tried (unsuccessfully) to switch to keybindings a couple of times before I finally got it right, and my biggest mistake the first and second attempts was trying to copy what other players were doing. In my case, I watched a couple of videos from top 1% players of my class/spec. Those players play the game on a level far above my head, so what they did wasn't really working for me. I finally just said fuck it and started playing around until I found something that felt "right" to me.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-02 at 01:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you still a clicker if you have a mouse with a bunch of thumb button hotkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I was a clicker/keyboard turner until Wrath came along. I kind of went in steps and took it slowly, but things improved for me a lot once I got used to using keybindings.

First thing I did was rebind A and D to left and right strafe (instead of turning left or right with the default setting). Then just ran around for a week or two, getting used to that (still clicking, didn't change that yet). That forced me to stop keyboard turning and use my mouse for turning.

I started thinking "man, it's kind of a pain in the ass to both click abilities and use my mouse for turning" after doing that for a little while. So I started binding some of my more important abilities. Only 3-4 to start. Got used to that, slowly added more, and now I use keybindings for nearly everything. It makes a world of difference.

One other tip I can give there is don't try to copy what some pro player (or anyone else) is doing as far as keybindings. Use whatever is most comfortable to you. I tried (unsuccessfully) to switch to keybindings a couple of times before I finally got it right, and my biggest mistake the first and second attempts was trying to copy what other players were doing. In my case, I watched a couple of videos from top 1% players of my class/spec. Those players play the game on a level far above my head, so what they did wasn't really working for me. I finally just said fuck it and started playing around until I found something that felt "right" to me.
    This is good advice. The only thing I would add, is (I'm shocked this never caught on in pc gaming at large), consider shifting movement to esdf. I kept a backpedal key because I tank, but you could also do sdf if you don't tank. Very bizarre at first but the benefit of having an entire additional row of lightning fast binds for your pinky finger (qaz) cannot be overstated.

I personally mapped out optimal binds and did the whole thing at once, and I was dogshit at the game for a couple days, but within a lockout you will catch up to and/or exceed your previous performance. I could see how a gradual transition might be better, but just make sure you're thinking ahead to where you want the whole keybind map to be rather than cobbling together a Frankenstein system out of convenience.
    Last edited by Detritivores; 2019-10-02 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    SB is off GCD, one of the few abilities that remains so.

Yes, the increase is performance is slight. Although, and there's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I'll go ahead, if you believed SB was on the GCD this entire expansion, I'm sure there's plenty of higher yield ways to improve your performance than keybinding.

A better example might be shield wall, a long, off-gcd cool down. I used to click it but I don't anymore. The difference is minor for sure, but what clickers always underestimate is the mental bandwidth you spend clicking. I need SW, my mouse thumb can hit it without my eyes leaving my character's feet. If I have to click on it, that's a lapse in attention elsewhere, which could lead to me standing in something or otherwise failing a mechanic I'm not supposed to fail. You have finite attention to the plethora of things going on in a raid, and keybinding everything eliminates one of those things. And especially, for a tank spec, if you mess up a mechanic, the raid is generally toast. Your only job except for living is to not be the cause of wipes. And keybinding helps that. In pure numbers it will matter very little. But in wipes and execution and preventable deaths, it matters very much.

- - - Updated - - -

This misconception frustrates me. As I said above, the main benefit is in survival. I do not understand how keybinding changes movement. Also 1-5 are trash keybinds. Those should be the abilities you might cheat-click. Rotational stuff should be keys your hand rests on (qazwrtspacebar) - applicable if you bind movement to esdf which you should.
    How do you think movement and positioning translates into survival? If you don't understand that, then you must die to fire a lot... As for the keybinds, it depends how dexterous you are. I have no hitting my rotational keybinds on those keys without losing control of the movement keys. If you struggle, sure use the keys closer to where your hand naturally rests, but don't call someone elses binds trash just because they don't suit your playstyle...

I was a "click" player in WoW for 10 years.

I'm about 80% keybind and 20% click in FFXIV.
    I'm about the same when I play a little SWTOR.

When I go back to WoW.....I mostly click still. I've tried switching to play more like I do in XIV/SWTOR and it just doesn't work for me in WoW.
    Granted, I'm only doing quests and a single story run of LFR these days, but I've never felt it's that big a deal if you're not doing top raiding. Just play however you enjoy imo.

The confession is in the subject. I have (for the most part), just clicked my way through the game since Vanilla, using various mods and such of course. No matter how often someone tries to convert me, I just can't shake my clicking play style. That said, it has never caused me to under-perform in healing or dps. Ever. In fact, I usually perform better than people who swear by keybinds. So is it REALLY that much better, easier and efficient?

It could be that I'm working twice as hard as everyone else for the same result, I don't know. Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    You aren't giving yourself enough time to learn the new binds. I would honestly say give them at least two days before changing, unless something is just feels WAY off.

Also, don't attempt to bind everything at once. Start with 1 or 2 core abilities, then go into PvP or PvE (whichever you do the most) and get used to them. Expect to be pretty bad and slow with your new binds, but that is ok. You need to also make sure you don't fall back to clicking anything you just bound/hotkeyed.

A good trick is to hide the abilities you just bound in an annoying part of your screen. Either under the clock, or on a hidden action bar (addons can do this for you). That way you can't fall back to clicking, and it will reinforce having to use your finger muscle memory.

After a few hours the binds should start to feel natural. After a day you should forget that you just changed your binds and it will be an afterthought.

Edit: You can also get a razer naga (or similar) that has 12 buttons on your right thumb and see how that goes?
    Last edited by Sinyc; 2019-10-02 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    How do you think movement and positioning translates into survival? If you don't understand that, then you must die to fire a lot... As for the keybinds, it depends how dexterous you are. I have no hitting my rotational keybinds on those keys without losing control of the movement keys. If you struggle, sure use the keys closer to where your hand naturally rests, but don't call someone elses binds trash just because they don't suit your playstyle...
    It's not a playstyle preference; rotational abilities on 1-5 are objectively trash. I will concede that if you tell me you are a 6 fingered man who can deftly hit either strafe button (ad or sf, for argument's sake), while executing your basic rotation on 1-5, then we have no argument and you have god-tier (and possibly extra) fingers. I'm talking about what is successful for normal humans with 5 fingers who want to strafe in either direction without messing up their rotation, and for that crowd, you need qazwerspacebar, etc. If you can execute 1-5 without taking a finger off your strafe keys, that's fine, but it's very unlikely.

This is also what I mean about survival. The whole point is to be able to move anywhere at any time. But unless you keyboard-turned previously, keybinding your rotation shouldn't change that. Yes, switching from keyboard turning to mouse turning absolutely increases survival. I thought the premise was we were all mouse-turning and contemplating keybinding rotations and CDs. Once you are mouse-turning, the thing that hinders movement (and survival) is pressing other inconveniently placed (1-5) buttons. If I misunderstood, my bad.
    Last edited by Detritivores; 2019-10-02 at 02:06 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The confession is in the subject. I have (for the most part), just clicked my way through the game since Vanilla, using various mods and such of course. No matter how often someone tries to convert me, I just can't shake my clicking play style. That said, it has never caused me to under-perform in healing or dps. Ever. In fact, I usually perform better than people who swear by keybinds. So is it REALLY that much better, easier and efficient?

It could be that I'm working twice as hard as everyone else for the same result, I don't know. Every time I've tried to bind, I can't adapt. It just doesn't work. I either need professional help or validation that clicking is actually 'ok' as long as I'm not screwing other people over or limiting my own play experience. Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
    I actually only started using keybinds in BfA myself and I've been playing since Vanilla so I completely understand your predicament. That being said, the main reason for using them is honestly PvP. The split second reactions that become possible with keybinds can mean life or death in PvP. For raiding, and other PvE related content.. all I have to say is I have a friend who tanks raids with a touchpad and no keybinds. I personally wouldn't play anything on my laptop aside from maybe Hearthstone if I didn't have access to a mouse, but PvE content can be done by rolling your head across the keyboard so hamstringing yourself isn't too detrimental if that's what you enjoy.

But if it is, then why am I doing just fine when everyone else in my group is binding?
    What tier guild are you in? Maybe your just better than the people you play with.

I was a clicker for Classic and BC and started to use keybinds in WOTLK after hitting a ceiling in PvP. I was stuck around 2100-2200 rating. After starting to use keybinds I jumped up to 2700 rating in less than a year. After you learn your keybinds and finding a setup that works for you your character feels like an extension of your body. Movement is simple as moving an arm or a leg. Clicking is like walking in mud that is up to your knees by comparison. If you've never walked outside of the swamp you have no idea how much easier it is to walk on grass.

For myself I found that ctrl and alt did not work for me, but shift worked fine. Alt and ctrl was just an awkward finger movement I could not get down. In Cataclysm I believe I had 32 keybinds or something around there.

TBH make the change. It will take a month or so to fully adjust but it will be worth it.

i dont understand how anyone became a clicker to begin with. the buttons had keybinds to begin with.

Unbinding S is just dumb, sometimes you wanna have small movement even as dps/healer. Obviously not for running away but for high precision positioning.
    And again, difference is purely based on player ability such as knowledge of class/fight/etc, ability to use that knowledge and reaction time. Clicking vs keybinding is really minor, unless you have bad reaction time, but then you will suck regardless of method.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    I actually only started using keybinds in BfA myself and I've been playing since Vanilla so I completely understand your predicament. That being said, the main reason for using them is honestly PvP. The split second reactions that become possible with keybinds can mean life or death in PvP. For raiding, and other PvE related content.. all I have to say is I have a friend who tanks raids with a touchpad and no keybinds. I personally wouldn't play anything on my laptop aside from maybe Hearthstone if I didn't have access to a mouse, but PvE content can be done by rolling your head across the keyboard so hamstringing yourself isn't too detrimental if that's what you enjoy.
    Another stupid generalization that gets thrown around in these keybinding threads (it only matters for pvp). Not true. It certainly matters more, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the same benefits (for the same reasons) in PvE.

If you want to click your way through LFR and justify that clicking is ok, that's fine. I could build threat for 15 seconds and then afk in easier PvE content, that doesn't mean it's optimal.

The bottom line is that keybinding and kicking your clicking habit is optimal for all modes of gameplay. Yes, if you cherry pick brain dead PvE content, it doesn't really matter, but I have to assume OP actually cares about his performance or wouldn't have asked the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    i dont understand how anyone became a clicker to begin with. the buttons had keybinds to begin with.
    The buttons have terrible and wrong keybinds to begin with. People click because of this. Then they get good and rearrange the buttons. Or apparently, they don't.
    Last edited by Detritivores; 2019-10-02 at 07:02 PM.

It's a game changer my friend. I was a solid clicker through BC, WoTLK, Cata, and most of MoP. Then I left for awhile and came back. Figured, hey, fresh start, lets try this. So I leveled a DK using my own custom key bindings. Been a charm since. I might be a bit different, as my main spells I use the ASDF keys, as that's how I learned typing for resting my hands. I've found I'm a FAR better tank, dps, and heals with using keybinding. Trust me, once you do it, you'll enjoy it!

If you'd like I could share my keybinding scheme with you.
    Last edited by DCCF; 2019-10-03 at 09:01 PM. Reason: offering help.
    The bravery of mortals never fails to astound me. Death affixes its cold stare upon you and in return you rise to challenge its assertion! It is why your kind is so loved... and so hated. - Torastrasza

Quote Originally Posted by Testodruid View Post
    I havent seen OP answer or post anything else other than the original post. Troll thread or what?
    I mean, they answered for quite awhile. It doesn't really take 18 pages to understand "Yes, keybinding is better and it's not too hard to learn but if you are used to and like clicking then do whatever you feel most comfortable."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you clicked for 15 years no need to stop now since obviously you aren't competitive