Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Borderline mass shooting charity event canceled due to Trump supporter controversy

https://www.foxla.com/news/borderlin...er-controversy

A charity flag football event in honor of fallen Ventura County Sgt. Ron Helus, the deputy killed in the Borderline mass shooting in 2018, has been put on hold after organizers say a local police chief and a Democratic politician derailed it because they didn't want Republicans at the event.

The Blue Bowl speaker list was bipartisan. It included Gov. Gavin Newsom's public safety liason, Trump supporter Scott Baio, who went to the same church as Sgt. Helus, as well as Trump-supporting singer Joy Villa, who was to sing the national anthem.

Randall says in a phone call, Hagel questioned why the Trump supporters were invited.

"He basically said over and over in the conversation this is not Trump country, that slogan 'Make America Great' is not favorable, popular, within 1,200 square miles, that we don’t want Republicans here, I could not believe it... We were totally floored by this comment, 'the only thing,' and I quote, 'the only thing you coulda made this worse, Mike, was to invite dick Cheney and Sarah Huckabee Sanders,' and I went...wow are you kidding me?" Randall said.
    Randall says Hagel told him to get rid of the Republican speakers or else he would tell the Venturas County Sheriff's Department and local politicians to pull out of the Blue Bowl. When he refused, he allegedly received a text from Hagel saying that after speaking with the Sheriff, they were respectfully pulling out, then, confirmed the decision in a phone call.

"He goes 'yeah this ain’t gonna work for us,' I said you’re not gonna support this with the honor guard and he goes 'no we’re not bringing the honor guard we’re not coming we’re not going to be there, not supporting it'," said Randall.

Randall said that caused sponsors and politicians to drop out. The Blue Bowl is now postponed indefinitely.
    So a Sheriff does not want a charity that helps families of fallen officers to have an event because Republicans or Trump supporters were going to attend. I am sure the family of the fallen officer is better off with not getting charity because of the mentality of 2 people.

I'm sure thoughts and prayers will fix it.

Yeah too bad. Hold the charity event another way.

"Trump supporters" are not a protected class. They get to deal with the consequences of supporting an un-American illegitimate President. Public shaming and exclusion are effective avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    https://www.foxla.com/news/borderlin...er-controversy

So a Sheriff does not want a charity that helps families of fallen officers to have an event because Republicans or Trump supporters were going to attend. I am sure the family of the fallen officer is better off with not getting charity because of the mentality of 2 people.
    The title of your thread and the content of the article do not match up

Put on Hold is not Cancelled.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The "tolerant" side at work again, nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    The "tolerant" side at work again, nice.
    Before you make that stupid fucking argument again, illustrate to the board you understand the difference between race and a choice like political ideology.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    The title of your thread and the content of the article do not match up

Put on Hold is not Cancelled.
    You do realize the title is the actual title of the article just cut and paste...like the cut and paste from the article. So you have a problem with the actual article title from the news outlet. I am assuming you read the article but ...didn't look at the title?

And the article says postponed indefinitely. I guess that means put on hold to you......
    Last edited by TexasRules; 2019-10-02 at 09:54 PM.

This is how the free-market of ideas works. People decided they did not wish to participate alongside those who support a racist like Trump. Some may say it's petty, others will say it's principled.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Isn’t this just freedom of association working as intended? What’s the problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    That a charity who did nothing what so ever is the one to suffer and pay the price? Have people lost their fucking minds? Like actually, did I somehow miss a mass poisoning that rots brain cells?
    Considering Republicans currently bear sole responsibility for the plague of gun violence that results in shootings like this one by blocking any and all gun control measures, I wouldn't want their crocodile tears at my charity event either.

Thoughts and prayers to these poor Republicans, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    That a charity who did nothing what so ever is the one to suffer and pay the price? Have people lost their fucking minds? Like actually, did I somehow miss a mass poisoning that rots brain cells?
    Ok what exactly stops the charity from adjusting and moving forward without said people who are dragging it down?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Ok what exactly stops the charity from adjusting and moving forward without said people who are dragging it down?
    It's about the cones.

I mean, the outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The charity doesn’t want people espousing the same rhetoric as the mass shooter at the charity event? I wonder why...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

You left out the response from the Ventura County Sheriff's Department -

The “Blue Bowl” event was represented as a charitable flag football tournament to raise funds for the family of Sergeant Ron Helus. An event that would honor Ron’s memory and provide support to his wife Karen and son Jordan. As the event began to materialize, we became concerned with the behavior of some of the organizers of the event. Although I believe the organizers had good intentions, the event was moving in a direction we no longer felt comfortable supporting.
    Freedom of association matters, and they can still host a charity event without inviting divisive has-been C list celebrities. If the local law enforcement no longer wanted to support the event, despite supporting their fallen colleague, because of those invited, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Isn’t this just freedom of association working as intended? What’s the problem?
    Because members of their favorite sports team are being shunned. They take it very personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

You are thinking rationally. that isn't allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You left out the response from the Ventura County Sheriff's Department -

Freedom of association matters, and they can still host a charity event without inviting divisive has-been C list celebrities. If the local law enforcement no longer wanted to support the event, despite supporting their fallen colleague, because of those invited, why shouldn't they be allowed to?
    Selectively including parts that only fits his narrative, bold strategy.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are thinking rationally. that isn't allowed here.
    being rational would be getting rid of the unwanted speakers and going on without a hitch.

i will call it now, in about 15-20 years or less trump supporters will be labeled as an official hate group recognized by the US Government and the MAGA/KAG red and pink hats will go in the Smithsonian as a hate symbol
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Before you make that stupid fucking argument again, illustrate to the board you understand the difference between race and a choice like political ideology.
    Oh, so tolerance is only applicable to immutable characteristics?

Yeah, totally what tolerance means. Mmh mmh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based