Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wont level mana user anymore for sure

Priest leveling isnt very exciting, mostly boring and feels slow, altough some will say it is quite fast. And yes, I got priest to 60.
    First, its that “wanding” thingy, it really gets old fast. Mostly done to avoid drinking after mob fight.
    Second, mobs resisting mana-expensive spell, even underlevel mobs resist, and even having 3 point in spell hit talent.
    Third, pre-pull PWS cost a ton of mana, adding to that fear of spending that mana on single mob.
    Yes, all of this is done to avoid downtime, which is good, but feels like it takes ages to kill a mob. Last 10 levels respecced to holy/disc and it gone worse ofc.
    And then at lvl 60, realised I dont have any quests to do, done them all by 60. So, waiting in city, trying to find group for some dungeon.
    Farming gold? Dont think so, holy priest really isnt farming class. Go shadow for farming? No, thanks, noone wants shadow fir dungeons, and respeccing back to holy isnt really cheap.
    And last thing - there is obviously too many healers at 60. Most groups look for tanks and dps, yes, dps.

So, not happy with priest leveling and at 60.
    Tried rogue leveling and it is completely different story - mobs die fast, fast bandaging/hp pots, dps spot wanted, farming potential looks good.

Ok, I feel better now.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolithi View Post
    Priest leveling isnt very exciting, mostly boring and feels slow, altough some will say it is quite fast. And yes, I got priest to 60.
    First, its that “wanding” thingy, it really gets old fast. Mostly done to avoid drinking after mob fight.
    Second, mobs resisting mana-expensive spell, even underlevel mobs resist, and even having 3 point in spell hit talent.
    Third, pre-pull PWS cost a ton of mana, adding to that fear of spending that mana on single mob.
    Yes, all of this is done to avoid downtime, which is good, but feels like it takes ages to kill a mob. Last 10 levels respecced to holy/disc and it gone worse ofc.
    And then at lvl 60, realised I dont have any quests to do, done them all by 60. So, waiting in city, trying to find group for some dungeon.
    Farming gold? Dont think so, holy priest really isnt farming class. Go shadow for farming? No, thanks, noone wants shadow fir dungeons, and respeccing back to holy isnt really cheap.
    And last thing - there is obviously too many healers at 60. Most groups look for tanks and dps, yes, dps.

Tried rogue leveling and it is completely different story - mobs die fast, fast bandaging/hp pots, dps spot wanted, farming potential looks good.

Ok, I feel better now.
    If you do get a caster bug lock is great with life tap and dark pact. Also drain tanking is cheese and you have almost no down time. I am level 37 right now so I don't have dark pact yet but honestly I only have to drink maybe every 8th mob. Typically i just dot, drain life and then tap to get mana back. As an undead if I have a humanoid corpse I can canabalize and get back my HP, bandage, with alchemy hit a pot, etc. Since taping returns more mana with talents than than the life it takes it's more efficient to tap all the way down and eat, but with siphon life and drain life I usually don't eat, bandage or eat a corpse unless I am under 40% health.

Point is it's not nearly as bad as priest.

Play what you find fun. I always found hybrid healers way more satisfying to play than a Holy priest. Nothing like being the underdog and proving everyone wrong in their assumptions. Besides priests just feel boring.
    So many went into Classic with the idea that they need to roll a toon that's going to be desirable by others as opposed to finding out what they actually enjoy playing. Not surprised some will end up unhappy with their choices in the end.
    Glad you're having fun with the rogue. Play that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks don't have any of those issues.

Above the low level dungeons it is very hard to find a group as a rogue. The bandaging/potting/eating can also become pretty expensive at higher levels. Found it very smooth to level rogue up to 50~ with kinda twink gear, but after 50 it became pretty rough as a solo.

Rogues are amazing when you level with another player though. The ability to split the damage taken and shortening fight durations means that you almost never have to regain hp. It really makes a massive difference between being solo or duo.

The farming potential of rogues is not really that high when it comes to mob killing, but pickpocket farming is pretty lucrative and you can still earn a decent amount of gold by farming the mage robe recipe and the greater fire protection potion recipe.

I raised a Priest starting in TBC. It was a patch-period where they nerfed how spirit worked out of combat, and had MP5 as a main source for mana regen. They were shifting away from the Healer-On Healer-Off raid tactics.

This totally screwed up leveling a Priest through 1-60 content. There wasn't any MP5 gear at low levels, and spirit was next-to-useless without the high-level talent that allows it to work in combat. Even out of combat, it contributed next to nothing thanks to the nerfs.

Wait until you miss with 3 CD abilities in a row as a rogue. Not saying that Holy Priest isn't one of the worst options for soloplay, just that this particular reason is valid for all classes in classic. You can even argue that since spell-hit exists in classic but expertise does not, as a caster you at least have an option to avoid missing/resisting spells.

I remember one rogue in my guild once made everybody laugh when he told how he wanted to kill a lvl1 critter in a starting zone, missed with his main hand and his off-hand only did 1 or 2 damage, which was not enough to kill the critter. That wasn't in classic, though. In classic you get dual-wield too late to only do 1-2 damage with your off-hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get into a guild and use your healer priviledge. But yeah, that's a healers life. It gets even worse, because, apparently, there is a stigma around US servers that "healers should never roll on +SPD gear, they should only roll on healing gear because all they do is healing"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I have never made it past 25 with a rogue because it's so slow. Instead of drinking for mana, it's constantly bandaging or eating, coupled with the only way to survive 2+ mobs is to run away or vanish like a pussy.

Currently leveling a Holy priest and it's smooth as butter.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-10-03 at 07:37 AM.

Hybrid your spec with shadow for the solo content. thats about all i can say. save that gold for a respec after you hit that 55-58 mark and then go full heals as you acquire your t0 set and upgrade it to t0.5. the 4/8 piece set will help alot though as it does increase your spell power by 23 and the 2 set bonus gives +200 armor for a little more survivability as a squishy if you peel agro.the chest (lvl 58) and head (lvl 57) piece give the most int in the set at 24 & the legs (lvl 56) give the most spirit at 23. you may also want to strive for the benediction/anathema staff for holy/shadow preists. in benediction form get +2% crit on holy spells & increases holy spell power by 106. in anathema form gives 7mp5 for mana regen (to make the wanding part, more viable, and ultimately faster to kill mobs) & increases shadow damage by 69. all of that is near level cap/pre raid gear, though so do what you will with the info. I still think you should be leveling 60/40 holy/shadow with your talent points though until you hit at least level 50, so that you can do things when solo without taking forever, and still be viable to heal in dungeons.

But having to drink for 30 seconds between every pull makes the game super hardcore and more difficult.

Leveling the priest was pretty smooth for me. Never felt slow. And was great once i had shadowform. And healing in dungeons still worked pretty well.

But loosing all the shadow talents after reaching 60 and speccing holy was and still is a pain. Farming stuff or finishing some quests is annoying AF.
    And i agree that there seem to be way too many healers. Not a problem in raids, but can be a problem if you are looking for a dungeon group.

But i really enjoy raiding with my priest. But since most of the raiding gear is gonna be +healing, i don't see the priest getting any better and farming.

Which is why i'm now leveling a mage for that purpose. It does feel alot smoother in early levels (at 15 now). Will have to see how this changes.

Priest is going to stay my main though, because healing in raids is more satisfying to me.

With all that said: I really enjoy classic alot. The annoying parts make for a good rollercoaster ride between being annoyed and being happy.

When DM gets released I believe you can farm the lashers with holy nova. Not the best but it's a pretty good farm

Spirit tap literally makes it so you don't have to drink much if at all. Seems like a non issues for priests.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    When DM gets released I believe you can farm the lashers with holy nova. Not the best but it's a pretty good farm
    AFAIK farming lashers is actually the best (in terms of safety and efficiency) raw gold farming method in the game.

It was so good that private servers like Nostalrius had to nerf it and even then it remained one of the best spots.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    AFAIK farming lashers is actually the best (in terms of safety and efficiency) raw gold farming method in the game.

It was so good that private servers like Nostalrius had to nerf it and even then it remained one of the best spots.
    I just mean not the best overall. Like hunter tribute farming or owning the devilsaur. Definitely very lucrative

My first 60 was a mage and, unpopular opinion, i'm currently finding leveling my warrior (currently level 32) much more enjoyable. It's the drinking, the fucking drinking. Idc if it's slightly harder to live (hasn't been as bad as people make it out), at least you don't have to sit and drink every 3-4 mobs for a god damn eternity.

And yeah, of course you can AoE grind on mage and i did but it's incredibly dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Spirit tap literally makes it so you don't have to drink much if at all. Seems like a non issues for priests.
    True. Then its wanding. Its either drinking or wanding, both feel dull.
    But when it comes to eating or drinking, I rather eat on my rogue, hp bar is much faster to fill than mana bar.

10+ Year Old Account

Ok, I feel better now.
    There's a reason the best classes in the game don't use mana.

Warrior
    Rogue
    Mage (Mages don't use mana, they have infinite in 1.12)
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account

Ok, I feel better now.
    Ok well that's just a terrible way to level. You shouldn't need to pre cast PWS for every mob. PWS is VERY mana expensive and it's better as an emergency ability.

What I did back in my priest days worked VERY well. I'd open with Mind Blast, followed instantly by SW:P. I'd then flay once or twice while the mob ran over to me, and wand until it's dead. The 5-second rule always expired just before the mob died, maximising mana return from Spirit Tap -- crucial: Don't cast ANY other spell during spirit tap or you render it worthless!

I could go from mob to mob without needing to drink, and it was pretty quick, too. If mana was still high i'd clip spirit tap on purpose and start on the next mob.