Poll: Biggest Waste of a Villain

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Deathwing, for me. I was really amped when Cata was announced and had Deathwing as its slated antagonist - I expected an intelligent and calculating villain as he had been depicted to be in "Day of the Dragon" and other supplemental sources, a villain with plans that could give Lich King Arthas a run for his money. What we got was another raving madman bent on destruction, just an overbearing brute without any nuance or gravitas that cackled and raved until his inevitable defeat in the expansion's closing denouement. Really a letdown for what had otherwise been a villain with great expectations.
    Day of the Dragon (and all of Knaak's books, and the rest of Warcraft at that) would have been better without Rhonin. For all the justified jokes about Nathanos being a self-insert Sue...

Deathwing. He went from a world breaking mastermind to an absolute herp derp in 4.3, throwing himself into losing situations over and over again. Blizzard realised that they have made him so powerful in the beginning that they had to turn him into an absolute idiot in the final patch, otherwise we couldn't have killed him at all.

Garrosh and Kael have been wasted by being turned into villains in the first place. Garrosh could've been a great leader of the Horde for a much longer period of time, now all we do since his death is passing the bone of the title warchief to another character nearly every new expansion. Kael was a great character in WC3 who had his own campaign, showed him as a compassionate character who really cared for the good of his people, now ended up serving the ones who made the Scourge in the first place. And apparently for some reason doesn't give 2 shits about the people of Silvermoon anymore. Despite being so proud of Quel'Thalas as part of his dying quote... his character is such a mess.

Deathwing, easily. Like comically not even close.

All of this lore and build up for DW and he barely made an appearance during his whole expansion and then the raid was barbie pony adventure.

Kael'thas because everything was just a set back.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Day of the Dragon (and all of Knaak's books, and the rest of Warcraft at that) would have been better without Rhonin. For all the justified jokes about Nathanos being a self-insert Sue...
    His FIERY red hair and BEAUTIFUL ELF Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

For me it has to be Garrosh and Deathwing. But I'd vote Garrosh since he was done the least justice.

He is exactly the kind of character the Horde needs and which Sylvanas tried to replicate but failed. The factions need shades of grey for the faction war to be believable. Pure good and evil doesn't work, it's not interesting.

Garrosh' Horde was the best. It would be nice to him bring back somehow. Give him a redemption without neutering his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    His FIERY red hair and BEAUTIFUL ELF Wife
    Illidan: "I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR MY PEOPLE!"
    Also Illidan: "Wow, you're so cool. Teach me magic you glorious ginger bastard."

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    I don't disagree i.e. Rhonin's existence as a character - but the Deathwing depicted in "Day of the Dragon" was miles better than the Deathwing we saw in Cata.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Archimonde, azshara for the moment, deathwing, and some others abruptely killed/disapeared when they should have a return later, like kel thuzad. He did it for anubarak, why not kelthuzad ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
    How is Archimonde not on this list?! He is literally the only Warcraft villain who had NO BUILD-UP WHATSOEVER to his raid encounter. No cameo in the media, no mention in a quest, nada. Just 100% out of nowhere, and dead in 5 minutes. One of the most iconic villains of the Warcraft franchise reduced to a miserable plot device to have Legion. This guy deserved much better:
    We didn't even need him(or Gul'dan on that matter) to have Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Deathwing at least got his own expansion. Poor Kil'jaeden lived and died in shadow of his servant, Gul'dan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Archimonde, azshara for the moment, deathwing, and some others abruptely killed/disapeared when they should have a return later, like kel thuzad. He did it for anubarak, why not kelthuzad ??
    Kel'thuzad is in his phylactery and he can come back whenever Blizzard needs him.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Deathwing had an awesome setup and interesting backstory, but was handled with probably the worst execution of any character in anything I've ever witnessed.

His dialogue, voice, story, impact, raid, you name it, were all dreadful.

Like you almost had to try to intentionally make it that bad with that good of a setup.

Illidan was going to get my vote before Legion but now I'm going with Kael'thas. He would've been an interesting blood elf leader. But it is most certainly too late now.

If alternate realities count, everyone in the Iron Horde except Grommash, who at least got a little something in the mag'har scenario. ESPECIALLY Orgrim Doomhammer.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-03 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much all of them are a waste, for the sake of raiders getting their 1000 boss to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Pretty much all of them are a waste, for the sake of raiders getting their 1000 boss to kill.
    Sargeras wasn't one of them though. And he's on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Kel'thuzad is in his phylactery and he can come back whenever Blizzard needs him.
    In fact at vanilla we delivered his phylactery to a man of the argent crusade who seemed not very sane after delivering the good, and supposedly disappeared after.

(yeah, i remember this one, I did it start BC when we wanted to do a rerun to finish the few boss when werent able to finish at vanilla) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Illidan was going to get my vote before Legion but now I'm going with Kael'thas. He would've been an interesting blood elf leader. But it is most certainly too late now.

If alternate realities count, everyone in the Iron Horde except Grommash, who at least got a little something in the mag'har scenario. ESPECIALLY Orgrim Doomhammer.
    what if Kael got.. ehm impersonated by a Legion puppet? And that in 9.0.1 we have to save him because Lor'thermar is dead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Loken....for all the lore implications he had

Dungeon boss

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hmm...weeeeelllll...they "adapt" from tons of other sources, to the point that they even get away to barely change names that guys like Lovecraft invented. Then there are a few interesting reads in game magazins how the who Warcraft thingy started where they had to slap on a story and invent a lore background...and it is no wonder that it is a hot mess. What people now call the dedicated game designers with a passion were also the clueless ones without a greater plan (and I don't even blame them)

I always wonder however with all this judgemental attitude on this forum on how bad everything is that Blizzard does..what does it say about us who made this game a commercial juggernaut and still profitable to this day.

I mean..it is one thing to produce shite...but then people actually consume it? Yikes ^^
    There's more to the game than the shite storytelling. Yike-a-doodles, my vigorous defender friend.

I'd say Vashj. Kael'thas was wasted and turned into a loot boss but he still had a big role in the story, and did a lot of stuff during the expansion!
    Vashj did literally nothing, and ANY Naga could have taken her place.

All the others were perhaps misused or underused, but Vashj was literally a raid boss that was there, and died, that was it.
    The great hero of TFT who did so many awesome things just...got killed by adventurers without doing anything the entire expansion.

Deathwig. Cunning manipulator and mastermind ultimately amounts to just a big scary dragon in Cata.

It's unfortunate that Kael went evil but I can't really think of much more they could have done with him AS a vaillain. And ILlidan got brought back in Legion.

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Kael and Azshara easily, Kael just got well destroyed as a character in every possible way. And Azshara could have easily carried an expansion herself instead of just being another old god tie in. But massive push towards Deathwing as well, he was easily the most fun part of Cata with the random zone burnings and appearances, he felt menacing and then the ending was so boring. Granted I can't think of how to deal with a giant magma dragon but it was deeply unsatisfying how they did.