Poll: Biggest Waste of a Villain

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Serenais View Post
    Personal opinion is Grommash "Draenor is FREE!" Hellscream. There was MUCH more potential to him than to become a display for how bad writing in WoW can go.
    Then again, that goes for most of WoD.
    This. This is for me was such a let down. I clearly remember the commercial with his face raging. I thought to myself:"Yeah, I would love to go against that villain". In the end we dealt with most "warlords' in the first couple months of expac and some even in dungeons(Really?). The transition from the most epic line:"Bring me their heads!" to joining everyone at Archimonde battle was the most dissapointing. I can forgive Garrosh, I can forgive the dragged Sylvannas or Azshara or Deathwing(though if to put boss encounter aside, I don't really get lorewise whats wrong with him from my perspective), but Grom was my personal hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    That's the thing about Sargeras though. You aren't supposed to see him much, and him stabbing the Planet is (SUPPOSED TO) be the most badass and effective thing to Azeroth and its Titan.
    I wanted the titans to actually do something and Sargeras more so since it was all about the Burning Legion

Deathwing.

Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    I voted Azshara, but that's only for Azshara up through 8.2.5. I'm sure she'll be back (like Gul'dan in WoD/Legion).

Queen Azshara deserved a full expansion around her, in the same vein as Arthas and Deathwing, in my opinion.
    8.2 was her moment to shine, but I got the feeling that she will become some void creature in 8.3 and we finally kill her at the end of a questline or the raid before N'Zoth.

Archimonde. Yikes.

5+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing, without a doubt. He was depicted as a smart, calculating, cold blooded !@#$&#!@, but... First, he had little to no buildup in-game, and second, all he actually did was RAAAAAWWWWWRRR ME KILL GIEF MOAR OLD GUD POWAAA... Besides, his boss fight sucked dinosaur balls, and his raid must be among the most generic and uninspired in the entire game

Close second post for Kael. He was hit with the villain bat in much the same fashion that Garrosh would be a few years later.

Third post goes to Garrosh, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
    Imo, KJ.
    He was the reason for so much strife in both Draenor and Azeroth, I think he should've had an expansion for himself.
    Damn, really? Considering KJ was both the final boss of TBC and the mid-tier boss of Legion, I thought he was one of the few villains that WoW did justice to. Hell, I even felt bad for him at the end, and I never thought I'd feel that he was more than a villain who deserved to die.

Anyway, my answer is Deathwing. Although he got two final boss fights, his character was completely ruined in Cataclysm. Why Blizzard thought turning the cunning manipulator that he was in the books into a raging apocalypse dragon, I will never understand. Kael'thas gets runner-up for the exact same reason, although I don't think he was as important as Deathwing, overall.

I'm also surprised at all of the Garrosh responses. I enjoyed Garrosh's arc all the way through.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Not villain

Kael'thas
    Lady V
    Illidan

lame

Onyxia
    Yogg
    C'thun

recycled

Ragnaros
    Kel'Thuzard
    Gul'dan
    Archimonde

not a waste

Garrosh
    Lich King
    Kil'Jaeden

belong in the poll

Azshara
    Sargeras
    Deathwing

Azshara was pretty much the Lich King if he was a fish person and "died" with little buildup but won't come back in the same form in the near future, Sargeras the big bad wasn't even fought or really dealt with until the end and he might get a redemption arc (argh), and Deathwing had no build up in Cataclysm and acted like a retard the whole time. Deathwing is the "winner" so far.

azhara hands down. couldbe been a whole expansion by herself

Im gonna say Kael'thas and heres my ten cents as to why:

They set him up via quest chains in TBC as early as hellfire to be a pretty fun villian but he never really makes a prominant presence except as a single boss. His betrayal of Illidan should have been explored more in depth and there were many opportunities to make that civil war aspect more fun, but it was a wasted opportunity.

The tempest keep setback thing also didnt do much for him since he just get punked -again- with no real depth, while Id say Arthas was a close second, and Kel'thuzad, Kael definately hits the top spot.

Vashj being a minor villian was always gonna be a thing so I didnt mind that.

Azshara being a minor villian was WASTED potential but I think we will see her again in 8.3 or 9.0

Ragnaros and Onyxia were vanillia villians and while they could have had a deeper more fleshed out story, the event that lead to Onyxia as Alliance and Ragnaros summoning were both pretty cool back in the day and were just enough to give them some character, even if it was minor and intended to be.

Yogg-Saron dying is fine, because its subjective at this point if any of the old gods are truly dead, which for as long back as vanillia I suspected they cannot truly die, which is semi-confirmed by Y'shaarj's lore.

The BIGGEST wasted MAIN villian was Deathwing, Deathchin didnt do a damn thing in the entire lore of his expansion that was on a personal level to the player. The world got reformed by his return and he flew around and burned parts of the land giving people achievements but he didnt really -do- anything.

DW was just THERE and thats the worst part, even KAEL got a story.

So in conclusion of the TLR

Worst Minor Villian wasted: Kael

Worst Major Villian wasted: Deathchin

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    Kael, then Deathwing, then Garrosh.

Kael wasn't even a villain to anyone until he joined the Legion for no apparent reason. They had found a way to live with their mana addiction, there was literally no reason for him joining the people who were responsible for most of the bad things that happened in his life. He even had a fucking vial from the well of eternity and could've created a new Sunwell.

Deathwing was degraded from mastermind schemer to "ROAR ME DRAGON, ME SMASH, OLD GODS GREAT" without any explanation.

Garrosh was good until he suddenly started to hate everyone except for Orcs.
    These are honestly what I'll go with.

And that explanation for Deathwing is spot-f*cking-on.

In the books Deathwing was so damned clever. He out-smarted all of the other Dragon Aspects! He created the Dragon Soul! The dude was such a damned clever mastermind and to be torn down to Mr SmashUpSomeStuffMeAngry was such a massive disappointment. I was quite saddened by it, because he was a pretty awesome and mysterious character in the books.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Im gonna say Kael'thas and heres my ten cents as to why
    the problem is Kael wasn't supposed to be a villain in FIRST place
    when we complained on forums during vanilla that most bosses were just names, zero connection, most players (and i admit i was one of them) don't give a f8ck about kill them or leave them with exception of Timmy from Stratholme (only 1% of wow players saw naxx if i remember blizz data right, which is still far more than the comical joke of 0.3% of Sunwell), just see them as loot piniatas, blizz promised to 'fix' that in TBC
    As result we get exact opposite in TBC, to a disgusting degree
    Karagath who was celebrated hero turned to loot piniata
    Magtheridon is magically alive and turned to loot piniata
    Illidan my ex-fav warcraft hero became villain and piniata
    Vashj
    Even Shadow labs had a minor orc character, who just there to be loot piniata (yay no more random npcs that were never mentioned in warcraft history, now we mass slaughter wc2/3 heroes that we played...)
    i'm surprised they didn't just add Deathwing to the list, also Deathwing didn't get love either

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    These are honestly what I'll go with.

And that explanation for Deathwing is spot-f*cking-on.

In the books Deathwing was so damned clever. He out-smarted all of the other Dragon Aspects! He created the Dragon Soul! The dude was such a damned clever mastermind and to be torn down to Mr SmashUpSomeStuffMeAngry was such a massive disappointment. I was quite saddened by it, because he was a pretty awesome and mysterious character in the books.
    don't remind me, i was so excited to Cata when they said Deathwing will be back, i was so excited to see this brilliant master schemer plans, only to find none? What was his plan in cata exactly? fly around random kill, and nothing? no seriously i'm trying to squeeze my brain to remember, but i can't remember any, what was his plan? Even Benedicus (who became villain for no reason too) had better plan and was more interesting than Cata deathwing, and deathwing used to be a very interesting character pre-cata, his own exp
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    *snicker* Gallywix, he has potential but they don't expand his greed as much as he's characterized. This green sack would sell Orgrimmar to the Old Gods if it meant profit for him. He was framed as a bad guy in the start of the Goblin scenario and now he's just the business mogul that could easily (especially in 8.2.5) close his fist around Orgrimmar.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Garrosh Hellscream.

Was on his way to become one of the best warchiefs in TBC-WotlK and Cata. He had a journey from a leader of a small clan in Outland toward the general of the Horde in Northend and a starting warchief in Cata with ambition and his weaknesses shown. Then MoP happend and the Horde never has recovered from the mess blizzard put upon the faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    azhara hands down. couldbe been a whole expansion by herself
    Azshara is overhyped, she did almost nothing in her entire story, in fact why she is even considered a talented mage? Let's list of spells she actually did in entire wow history
    1- she may/may not use a charm spell to charm ppl around her, even that isn't confirmed
    2- she tried to shield her palace from water, and failed
    3- the raid we fight her
    done, that's the list of spells she did, why she is even considered a strong mage in first place is puzzling me, she has no achievement or proof of any power, she was measured as powerful mage by a 10k years old standards, by ppl who just discovered arcane and were just starting to use it in first place, she is like someone who lit fire to cavemen at best, impressive for cavemen, but surely not in age of internet
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Malygos. You could argue he's not a villain but his actions could be seen as pretty villainous from a certain point of view
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Anub'arak. Major character in WC3 The Frozen Throne, relegated to a throwaway 5-man boss and the end of a forgettable raid. He deserved much more.

I voted kaelthas, but he should have never been a villian. Bc had some of the worst lore development

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Out of the ones on the list Azshara is imho by far the biggest waste.
    Her "glorious city" is a pathetic brown hole full of ruins and she gets bitch-slapped by us and then daddy choked by the tentacle monster.

Those warbringer and similar videos blizzard released on azshara made her look like so much more interesting and badass.
    Perhaps the future BFA patches make her more worthy of the Azshara legacy.
    Yeah, I'm still waiting for "The Rise of Aszhara", as the patch was titled. You think I should hold my breath?

Idk Legion disposed of so many long built up villains, it was a shame really. Same with Aszhara, we have waited like 14 years to finally encounter her and all that's come out of it is a raid encounter. Seriously. Aszhara should have had her own expac....
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2019-10-03 at 08:09 PM.