Poll: Should business have limits to what they can background check?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should business have limits to what they can background check?

Job applicant outraged after company shares her bikini photo on Instagram as 'PSA': 'This is not doing you any favors'

A job applicant shared her outrage on social media after a company she applied to shared one of her personal Instagram posts along with a "PSA" to future prospects.

Emily Clow, a 24-year-old from Austin, Texas, recently applied for a marketing coordinator internship at Kickass Masterminds, an Austin-based marketing company founded and primarily run by women that says it is "hell-bent on helping entrepreneurs grow businesses faster than they could on their own."

Clow says shortly after filling out an online application, she was prompted to follow the company's Instagram account "for an advantage over other applicants." When she did so, she says she was shocked to find a photo of herself in a swimsuit on the company's story, along with a piece of unsolicited advice.

"PSA (because I know some of you applicants are looking at this)," the company wrote over Clow's photo. "Do not share your social media with a potential employer if this is the kind of content on it. I am looking for a potential marketer–not a bikini model."

"Go on with your bad self and do whatever in private," it added. "But this is not doing you any favors in finding a professional job."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/job-appli...171030253.html
    I know we have had conversations about protest and political comments, this this seems to be more about value judgements of an individual and what they do in their personal life.

Is this over step?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I know we have had conversations about protest and political comments, this this seems to be more about value judgements of an individual and what they do in their personal life.

Is this over step?
    Why did she share her social media?

I see nothing wrong here...Nice figure.
    But no. If she has social media stuff then it will be subject to usual background checks as any, if she reveals such. Businesses are subject to such public scrutiny. And the behavior of their employees should also get scrutiny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Why did she share her social media?
    I don't think she did, unless I missed it. From what I read it seems it was just part of a background check, or said business cited her social media presence as an example. She seems to be taking exception to and in this situation I agree.

This is part over step and public shaming, and unless bad taste is harmful to anyone, which is entirely subjective obviously.

My question really has to do with the internet and how as a society we keep moving forward in reference here with employment. I mean unless she is going to be a model, working for something relevant to the photo that was shared, I don'tn even see why professionally it's fair game for a background check.

Maybe there needs to come a point where we finally make it clear there are some things that are off limits for a employment background check. I could be wrong, so I thought this could be an interesting subject, I am sure others likely have their own experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I see nothing wrong here...Nice figure.
    But no. If she has social media stuff then it will be subject to usual background checks as any, if she reveals such. Businesses are subject to such public scrutiny. And the behavior of their employees should also get scrutiny.
    Yeah but shouldn't context matter. I could agree there are maybe some circumstances. But some of this is coming off as overstep. I don't know the woman but the photo looks fine.

I don't think she did, unless I missed it..
    It says it in the picture, they said don't share your social media to them if it has pictures like that.

It doesn't take away from your OP on background checks, just saying it looks like in this circumstance she did it to herself.

I could be mistaken they could be just taking someones random picture and warn them to not share their social media. Sorry if I am wrong lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It says it in the picture, they said don't share your social media to them if it has pictures like that.

It doesn't take away from your OP on background checks, just saying it looks like in this circumstance she did it to herself.

I could be mistaken they could be just taking someones random picture and warn them to not share their social media. Sorry if I am wrong lol
    Fair enough, I just mean in general, and I am open to be wrong too. Some business or employers might object for moral reasons because their business consist of a standard.

Agreed with or not I get it.

It could be nothing issue to some, but like with a lot of things, it can be a double edged sword especially without clear context.

Is this over step?
    No because social media is part of your resume, a company's image can be damaged if they hire an employee and a bad social media post is found. Also social media is not your private diary you are putting it out there for anyone to see and for companies to purchase. I am dumbfounded that people these days are so stupid to think they have the right to privacy on social media, you sold your privacy for use of the platform and that shit will be used against you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    No because social media is part of your resume, a company's image can be damaged if they hire an employee and a bad social media post is found. Also social media is not your private diary you are putting it out there for anyone to see and for companies to purchase. I am dumbfounded that people these days are so stupid to think they have the right to privacy on social media, you sold your privacy for use of the platform and that shit will be used against you.
    Hahahaha Harsh but honestly it could be true. I do not agree mind you, and I am unsure everything and anything should be game especially without specifics. But regardless to my feelings and thoughts, the practice is what it is. Maybe it just one of those things.

But the photo looks alright, although well before the internet I am sure people rejected applicants for petty stuff.

Pretty shitty that this is A) a reason not to hire someone, B) used to lambaste someone on social media, C) essentially stolen pictures, and D) snark was added to further kick her while she was down.

Seems like someone was just jealous to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    company founded and primarily run by women
    Looks like a hag from the company just got jealous seeing young woman, a story as old as the world itself

10+ Year Old Account

Is this over step?
    It's super uncool that they used her image without her permission, and probably legally actionable. I hope she sues the everloving crap out of them for that.

That said, anything you publish in the public domain under your name is going to be considered by potential employers who run across it when choosing whether to hire you, and when considering whether to keep you on after hiring. Do not ever post anything to any social media account that's publicly accessible that you don't think your employer would approve of. Not unless you're willing to accept the consequences, at least. That's the reality; your public conduct both reflects on your employer, and is available for your employer's consideration. If that's an issue for you, don't make it public.

I actually have almost no social media presence because of the complications relating to it. I had a pro-MMA career, and at the same time was a Judo and Jujitsu instructor. A lot of my students were kids with parents. The parents would want to look me up and friend me, and it would've been difficult to maintain the kind of 'elementary school teacher' vibe I had with them, while promoting that I'm about to go one step from murdering some girl in three months, or even just having a normal adult social media presence.

I think the right thing to do would be to keep a wall of separation around whatever's connected to a person. So if you have a facebook or instagram or twitter account connected to your professional life, that's fair game. But if a company hunts down your private accounts that have no connection to your professional life, especially if you're not a 'face of the company', that's too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's super uncool that they used her image without her permission, and probably legally actionable. I hope she sues the everloving crap out of them for that.

That said, anything you publish in the public domain under your name is going to be considered by potential employers who run across it when choosing whether to hire you, and when considering whether to keep you on after hiring. Do not ever post anything to any social media account that's publicly accessible that you don't think your employer would approve of. Not unless you're willing to accept the consequences, at least. That's the reality; your public conduct both reflects on your employer, and is available for your employer's consideration. If that's an issue for you, don't make it public.
    Yeah I get it but her belly button. Someone not like the color of her shirt or the brand of outfit she has on. That seems like overstep unless it’s related to what she’s applying for.

Anything and everything being fair game seems overly harsh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I actually have almost no social media presence because of the complications relating to it. I had a pro-MMA career, and at the same time was a Judo and Jujitsu instructor. A lot of my students were kids with parents. The parents would want to look me up and friend me, and it would've been difficult to maintain the kind of 'elementary school teacher' vibe I had with them, while promoting that I'm about to go one step from murdering some girl in three months, or even just having a normal adult social media presence.

I think the right thing to do would be to keep a wall of separation around whatever's connected to a person. So if you have a facebook or instagram or twitter account connected to your professional life, that's fair game. But if a company hunts down your private accounts that have no connection to your professional life, especially if you're not a 'face of the company', that's too far.
    That’s interesting but what if the wall is there but employers ask for a key?

As I said unless it relevant shouldn’t some things be yours private even online?

Hahahaha Harsh but honestly it could be true. I do not agree mind you, and I am unsure everything and anything should be game especially without specifics. But regardless to my feelings and thoughts, the practice is what it is. Maybe it just one of those things.

But the photo looks alright, although well before the internet I am sure people rejected applicants for petty stuff.
    I can understand that but my view is talking on social media is like using a bull horn in the middle of the street it's your fault for putting it out there.

Don't understand why you wouldn't hire someone just because they wear a bikini...Then again I never understood the fascination for "appearance" when it comes to work. We constantly tell our kids and others to not judge people based on appearance yet it's the norm when it comes to work. *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

To me it screams "This is a piece of shit company, don't apply here". Now the base idea that you should curate your image on Social media is fine. I am pretty much non-existent on social media for that reason, I don't want my personal information out there, but this in particular is insane. She isn't doing anything wrong, she is dressing the way she chooses in her private life, and it has absolutely no impact on her work performance at all. Calling out a specific applicant, using her picture without permission in a negative connotation, and shaming her for her choice of private dress is extremely wrong.

She may have a legal case to sue, and if so I hope she does, because companies publicly shaming their applicants is extremely bad. It is hard enough for young people to find a job without this sort of crap being thrown at them.

There are things on social media that are major red flags for employers. Any sort of extreme political views, excessive drinking, references to drug use, huge amounts of poor spelling, lewd jokes, etc. All of those things can and will get your application rejected, but none of them give the company the right to belittle you in public. This isn't any of them. This is simple swimwear, which is not uncommon on many peoples social media, and it is presumably more revealing then they like. Which is none of their damn business unless she wears it to work.

Yeah I get it but her belly button. Someone not like the color of her shirt or the brand of outfit she has on. That seems like overstep unless it’s related to what she’s applying for.

Anything and everything being fair game seems overly harsh.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s interesting but what if the wall is there but employers ask for a key?

As I said unless it relevant shouldn’t some things be yours private even online?
    I'd say they can't ask, with the exception of certain professions. If you're the 'public face' of the company in a significant manner, or you responsible for the public at large (ie government), you sacrifice a degree of privacy. Outside of that, you should be able to maintain a private lifestyle.

I feel like I missed out a good deal of social media experience in much of my 20s because I didn't know how I could be 'cute fun coach/instructor that you feel safe having your kids do potentially dangerous things with' and still be the real me, or even the other professional me at the same time if everyone's seeing the same thing.

There's no law against looking at someone's social media. If people are worried about it they should limit what she doesn't want pretty much everyone to see. Maybe restrict some of her photos to to people on her friends list or something.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I can understand that but my view is talking on social media is like using a bull horn in the middle of the street it's your fault for putting it out there.
    Yeah but surely there should be some safe spaces right

As I said even if it’s private company can ask and be ok not hiring.

In this case there was a time when employees used to laugh and mock applicants in private.

So the next question is how long until employers get a bad rep for things like this and applicants have to sign NDAs just to apply for a job.

How much is too much overstep?

And just because people need or want jobs does that then mean they should be leveraged or extorted?

I think at some point this is going to have to be an issue dealt with to ensure fair hiring practices.

Yeah but surely there should be some safe spaces right

As I said even if it’s private company can ask and be ok not hiring.

In this case there was a time when employees used to laugh and mock applicants in private.

So the next question is how long until employers get a bad rep for things like this and applicants have to sign NDAs just to apply for a job.

How much is too much overstep?

And just because people need or want jobs does that then mean they should be leveraged or extorted?

I think at some point this is going to have to be an issue dealt with to ensure fair hiring practices.
    they have safe spaces. you can literally restrict your social media to be private or only visible to friends.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano