Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Lightbulb How could Classic be monitized in an acceptable manner to encurage investors?

We all know many things in Classic are completely off the table. Mount shop. Transmog shop. Pet shop. gold Tokens...

But to an investor, a game with "only" a monthly fee is not as profitable as Retail. If it is not as profitable, it will not be concidered a financial success and will not be pushed to further development with the same design principals.

I, as a player, would LOVE to support and push the Classic design forward, but how can Blizzard ask for money for this, and me give this, without "ruining the game"?

Were the collector pets (Diablo, Murloc and Panda) acceptable? They were "pay for the pet".
    Were the TCG card codes for Spectral Tiger OK? They were certainly "pay for the mount".

What about for instance giving "bundles" of gametime? "Pay for 6 months, get 7 months playtime"?

Is paying for server transfers OK?

Is increasing the monthly fee OK?

If no on all the above, what IS ok?

It doesn't need further development

10+ Year Old Account
    Lootboxes.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Lootboxes.
    You mean surprise mechanics?
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Ethereals are actually animated toilet paper.

15+ Year Old Account
    You pay for the sub /thread
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Not enough money and leads to current wow.

If you're games profit growth relys on growing the number of players over milking the ones you have your design decisions become based on attracting new players to the game, this means you target at the biggest markets avaliable.

I guess a wow battle royal wouldn't be too bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    We all know many things in Classic are completely off the table. Mount shop. Transmog shop. Pet shop. gold Tokens...

But to an investor, a game with "only" a monthly fee is not as profitable as Retail. If it is not as profitable, it will not be concidered a financial success and will not be pushed to further development with the same design principals.

I, as a player, would LOVE to support and push the Classic design forward, but how can Blizzard ask for money for this, and me give this, without "ruining the game"?

Were the collector pets (Diablo, Murloc and Panda) acceptable? They were "pay for the pet".
    Were the TCG card codes for Spectral Tiger OK? They were certainly "pay for the mount".

What about for instance giving "bundles" of gametime? "Pay for 6 months, get 7 months playtime"?

Classic is perfectly profitable. There is no development needed. All the work was done 15-20 years ago, but they still earn a stable monthly income from it. That's great for investors. If they get rid of layering (it causes ALOT of issues for players that are a little more invested into the game) and create new servers every year or whatever, quite a lot of old private server players are gonna eat that shit for years. Loads of private server players chase the "fresh experience" of starting on a new realm and feel the rush of getting to 60 asap.

I personally wouldnt mind if they introduced paid race/server transfers. It really sucks having rolled on realm X only to find out your friends play on realm Y.

Edit: I also don't believe in Classic+ at all. Retail is trash IMO and it is what it is because they wanted to try and grow the game according to the current times. How can you possibly trust the Blizz Devs to create Classic+ in the true spirit of the old game? It wont happen. The old school devs are long gone. Those were neckbeard nerds wanting to create a great game. The current devs are new school kids trying to earn money, not creating the best possible MMO.
    Last edited by RainBoi; 2019-10-04 at 12:35 PM.

This practically already exists in form of subscriptions. Getting a 6 month sub is cheaper then 6x 1 month subs (6 month in EU is 65.94, a single month is 12.99, so its almost pay 5, get 6)

but shhhh the shop was added in wotlk, lootcrates disguised as tcg cards and shop pets disguised as collectors edition are not real, vanilla was perfect and had no pay to get mechanics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    not enough, no game has survived off only a sub based model, even vanilla wasnt sub only, it had store mounts and pets in one way or another. but feel free to point me to a single mmo with just a sub if im wrong.

Consumer brains have been hijacked if they are sitting around, worrying that 15$/months isn't enough profit for the big corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    not enough, no game has survived off only a sub based model, even vanilla wasnt sub only, it had store mounts and pets in one way or another. but feel free to point me to a single mmo with just a sub if im wrong.
    But all those MMO's including vanilla at that time were in active development and recieved updates and the like. How is that the case for classic?

There are no confirmations on development of new content or anything like that. So additional funding is not necessary. Imo the sub based payment should be enough to cover regular support / maintenance which is provided only in rare cases anyway since most of it is automated.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    but shhhh the shop was added in wotlk, lootcrates disguised as tcg cards and shop pets disguised as collectors edition are not real, vanilla was perfect and had no pay to get mechanics.

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla did NOT have store based mounts. Tcg items you speak of came in tbc, and tcg items are infinitely better than the store stuff of today

It’s why a spectral tiger STILL holds value.

The only outside the game pets you can obtain in vanilla were the vanilla CE pets and blizzcon 05 murky and if you don’t have them now, you never will

Stop trying to make Classic like Retail.

It is fine rn from a gameplay aspect and a profit aspect.

It's like asking, "how do we monitize Seinfeld".

5+ Year Old Account
    With a monthly subscription fee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think investors actively want/demand a monitization for Classic WoW for the time being, just based on the sole fact it brought the subscriber base for WoW up by almost 300% in addition to skyrocketing the value of Blizzard stock. I guess it depends on whether Blizzard will move forward with a Classic+ or if they will just release TBC. If it's the latter, I am sure we can get away with no additional monitization up until the end of WotLK. If it's Classic+, I would assume it really depends on how Blizzard will handle the development and how well it is received by the Classic community. Blizzard does not abandon games that have gone live (look at HotS) so they need to make sure Classic+ is something that will bring in profit for years to come and something that can warrant a development team.

So basically, time will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It doesn't need further development
    The work is done. The only costs that Classic generates is server maintenance.
    Basically, from this point onwards, Classic is pure profit. Doesn't get any better for investors than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Vanilla WoW.
    hahahah alright now show me an actual one.
    cause vanilla wow had both store pets and store mounts in the way of collectors edition and the TCG cards.
    so again, show me an mmo that doesent have a sub? especially one in the last few years, as this is 2019, not 2004.

Investors? Who gives a fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    TCG wasn't introduced until The Burning Crusade. This was mentioned when someone asked about redeeming TCG codes in Classic (I'm not 100% sure, but I've got the feeling Landro Longshot isn't even in Booty Bay right now). The CE pets can be redeemed if you have it, but the Vanilla CE can go for upwards of $1500 USD if it's unopened and/or the pet codes are still valid.

Classic's business model means it doesn't really need further monetization. It's billed as a side-bonus that comes with your World of Warcraft subscription. And outside, perhaps, server transfers (ideally with an extremely long cooldown like it used to have to discourage abusing it), the retail character services feel... out-of-place, is the best I can explain it.

Also, EverQuest survived just fine off subscription-only until Vanilla WoW came out and poached most of its playerbase. No reason to think Classic, again marketed as a 'museum-piece side game' included with retail subscription, can't survive just fine off subscriptions only.

Let's not find excuses for Activision to fuck up another revival of an old game beloved by many like they did the MW2 remaster.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!