Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I'd like to manage my own software yes, instead of having to install 10+ DRM software managers like Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay etc.
    And your point is..? (Relative to what you quoted, mind you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    And your point is..? (Relative to what you quoted, mind you.)
    That you, in modern world on PC cannot really manage your own software anymore because you're forced to use software manager so whetever there's infatuation over any of them is just irrelevant and the comment itself relatively pointless.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Speaking of console exclusivity, i will NEVER buy a console because of 1 or 2 exclusive games, BL3 case is a different beast because you don't need to buy anything but the game, epic store is a free app, if bl3 was announced as [insert random console] exclusive i wouldn't have cared at all about the game...
    To play the PC game you have to buy a PC, it's the exact same thing. If you already have a console, like you already have a PC, then the console game isn't any more expensive. Taking your PC for granted doesn't mean it was free lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    To play the PC game you have to buy a PC, it's the exact same thing. If you already have a console, like you already have a PC, then the console game isn't any more expensive. Taking your PC for granted doesn't mean it was free lol.
    I don't get ports nowadays. On Steam you pay for a game, not a port. If I own Portal 2 then the Mac and Linux ports are free. This goes for any game on Steam that's ported to these platforms. No double dipping there. Yet, the console versions cost another $60, for each console. If that game is on another store like Epic or Origin, then I gotta pay $60 again.

This just looks like the copyright holders are just abusing these formats for their own gain.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I don't get ports nowadays. On Steam you pay for a game, not a port. If I own Portal 2 then the Mac and Linux ports are free. This goes for any game on Steam that's ported to these platforms. No double dipping there. Yet, the console versions cost another $60, for each console. If that game is on another store like Epic or Origin, then I gotta pay $60 again.

This just looks like the copyright holders are just abusing these formats for their own gain.
    Well there's no system in place to prove you own the game on another platform, you think they're just gonna randomly make every platform free or what? I don't understand your logic here. Your PS4, Sony, and the store where you would buy a PS4 game, have no way to know what games you already own on PC.

Secondly, why on earth would anyone buy the same game twice on different platforms?

Third, this is not what we were talking about lol. I was pointing out the fact that people take their PC for granted, as if they never had to pay for it, complaining that they have to buy a console. Buy ing a PC and buying a console is the same thing, sure they have different uses but they're both gaming platforms that are necessary to play any games. The idea that buying a PC game costs nothing more than just the game and it's the complete opposite for console gaming is just simply wrong.

Secondly, why on earth would anyone buy the same game twice on different platforms?
    Multiplayer. Different groups of friends play on different platforms. There are a few games that I have bought on both PC and console.

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com...games-launcher

After origin, blizzard, steam, epic, uplay, gog we have another one, don't you think things are getting out of hand? Soon we will need a launcher to launch game launchers to launch games...
    I didn't realise Rockstar was a "he"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://socialclub.rockstargames.com...games-launcher

After origin, blizzard, steam, epic, uplay, gog we have another one, don't you think things are getting out of hand? Soon we will need a launcher to launch game launchers to launch games...
    I'd rather have 1 launcher then 59 shortcuts, which is how many Steam games I have installed.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Multiplayer. Different groups of friends play on different platforms. There are a few games that I have bought on both PC and console.
    Just get everyone on the same platform lol, the fuck is this.

Just get everyone on the same platform lol, the fuck is this.
    Will likely never happen. Some friends only have an Xbox. Some friends only have a PS4. Some friends have a PC. While I prefer PC, I do also have an Xbox.

I'd really prefer if they just allowed cross-platform play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's no system in place to prove you own the game on another platform,
    Sure there is, it's called registering your product.
    you think they're just gonna randomly make every platform free or what? I don't understand your logic here. Your PS4, Sony, and the store where you would buy a PS4 game, have no way to know what games you already own on PC.
    Register it.
    I don't do that, but some people do. Actually I did buy Dark Souls Remastered while owning Dark Souls for PC, and that was screwed up. Especially when they made a bad port to begin with, and all it needed was proper patching.
    Third, this is not what we were talking about lol. I was pointing out the fact that people take their PC for granted, as if they never had to pay for it, complaining that they have to buy a console. Buy ing a PC and buying a console is the same thing, sure they have different uses but they're both gaming platforms that are necessary to play any games.
    For some people they need a PC. Turns out a computer does more things than just playing games. So to pick up a game like BL3, you're essentially only paying for the game, assuming your productivity PC is able to run this game. Consoles though are purpose built machines that play games, and only games. Some do play movies but nothing else. Lets be honest here, in that your console is technically a PC without Windows 10 installed. So in order for a console manufacturer to survive in 2019, they need exclusives. This ain't 1991 when PC's cost a small fortune and the Commodore 64 version of Street Fighter looked like this.

Exclusivity does work, and that's why Epic and now RockStar are pushing people into their own store on PC. Sure a die hard gaming PC costs money but not a Lenovo business laptop that you need for work or school. But if I were RockStar then pushing games on PC would be more profitable than console for a number of reasons. One because RockStar doesn't have to pay Microsoft or Sony anything, not even Valve with Steam. My customers aren't required to pay a monthly fee to play online like with the Playstation and Xbox, so there's more potential for monetization. And there's more possible reach, since I don't need to wait for people to buy the latest Play Box that costs $500 and does nothing else but play games.

The idea that buying a PC game costs nothing more than just the game and it's the complete opposite for console gaming is just simply wrong.
    It can be but that depends if you have a PC and whether you need it for anything else but gaming. Think of how the smart phone market has devastated Nintendo and Sony's mobile gaming platforms because everyone has a phone. The 3DS is no where near in sales compared to the DS, and that's largely because Smart Phones are capable at playing games. The Diablo Immortal guy might have come off as a jerk when he said, "don't you all have phones" but he's right. Not everyone has a computer but there's a good chance that a lot of people do.

3+ Year Old Account
    Will likely never happen. Some friends only have an Xbox. Some friends only have a PS4. Some friends have a PC. While I prefer PC, I do also have an Xbox.

I'd really prefer if they just allowed cross-platform play.
    So you're the only one who buys every console and all your friends get to pick only one (and weirdly enough don't have a PC)? That sounds like a strange situation lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Register it.
    So if I register my PC version of Battlefield I can go to bestbuy and get a free PS4 copy?

No.

The registration thing is not all that reliable, it does solve some issues but it restrict everything to digital versions only after the first copy you buy and use for the registration. Most people don't buy multiple copies of the same game and see registration as an annoyance.

So you're the only one who buys every console and all your friends get to pick only one (and weirdly enough don't have a PC)? That sounds like a strange situation lol.
    Apparently reading isn't your forte. I literally said I have a PC and an Xbox. Not every console. Those that own just a PS4, I don't play online with unless it allows cross platform play.

I'm also not sure why its a surprise that every person doesn't have a gaming PC. Consoles are vastly cheaper and easier to use. They're more portable. Consoles and PC's are also becoming a lot closer in funcitonality. While Vash is correct that consoles used to be solely to play games, they're now incorporating apps, browsers, and a host of other features. For a lot of people you don't need a PC at home anymore. Between your console and your phone, you have what you need.

As I said, I personally prefer PC to console, but I understand why many don't.

Oh noes, another launcher...!

3+ Year Old Account
    Apparently reading isn't your forte. I literally said I have a PC and an Xbox. Not every console. Those that own just a PS4, I don't play online with unless it allows cross platform play.

I'm also not sure why its a surprise that every person doesn't have a gaming PC. Consoles are vastly cheaper and easier to use. They're more portable. Consoles and PC's are also becoming a lot closer in funcitonality. While Vash is correct that consoles used to be solely to play games, they're now incorporating apps, browsers, and a host of other features. For a lot of people you don't need a PC at home anymore. Between your console and your phone, you have what you need.

As I said, I personally prefer PC to console, but I understand why many don't.
    So you're fine with not playing with everyone but go the extra mile to buy multiple copies of the same game to play with some of them? This backward logic is not even an argument. Tell your friend to stop being weird and everybody buys the same thing to play with. It's like saying "hey gang, let's go snowboarding this winter" and some of them buy a fucking snorkel instead.

So you're fine with not playing with everyone but go the extra mile to buy multiple copies of the same game to play with some of them? This backward logic is not even an argument. Tell your friend to stop being weird and everybody buys the same thing to play with. It's like saying "hey gang, let's go snowboarding this winter" and some of them buy a fucking snorkel instead.
    I have an Xbox because it it was given to me as a gift. I do not see spending $60 on a video game to enjoy multiple hours of enjoyment with friends any different from going and spending $60 on dinner and drinks with friends. There is nothing backwards about the logic. Every decision in life has a cost associated with it. Some are worth paying, some are not. I find it absolutely asinine that you feel everyone should conform and do the exact same thing, in the exact same way as everyone else, without even stating which "choice" they should make, and why.

There are very valid reasons why someone may go console over PC, or vice versa.

3+ Year Old Account
    I have an Xbox because it it was given to me as a gift. I do not see spending $60 on a video game to enjoy multiple hours of enjoyment with friends any different from going and spending $60 on dinner and drinks with friends. There is nothing backwards about the logic. Every decision in life has a cost associated with it. Some are worth paying, some are not. I find it absolutely asinine that you feel everyone should conform and do the exact same thing, in the exact same way as everyone else, without even stating which "choice" they should make, and why.

There are very valid reasons why someone may go console over PC, or vice versa.
    One over the other yes, not both at the same time.

People are free to make their own choices, but they should understand that choices can be good or bad and for making bad choices they shouldn't be surprised to be laughed at.

You've seen videos of dudes trying to jump over a pool and end up smashing their nutsack on the other side. You laughed like everybody else. That was their choice, was it a good choice? Nope. Same here.

Assuming that every choices are good or have the same value just because "it's a choice and we're free to make our own choices" is... I don't even know what it is to be honest, I can't find a word that won't get me reported.

There's plenty of bad choices to make in life, and I won't pretend to only make good decisions, far from it. But I don't try to convince myself that every choice I make is the good one, other people around me pointing out when I do something stupid is USEFUL. It's no different here and it has nothing to do with conforming to all do the exact same things.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the reasons why I favor consoles over PCs. I play my fair share of games on Steam from time to time but that's it. There no way I'm going to be bothered to download all these god damn launchers so I can play my games. It'll be like "Wanna play GTA then use the Rockstar launcher. Wanna play Gears of War go over to the Xbox app. Wanna play any shitty EA games then head on over to their shitty Origin launcher".

It's ridiculous. What is so wrong with having one fucking launcher that can play anything? Or even better yet no fucking launchers at all. Lets go back to the good days of PC gaming where you can just buy the fucking game and install it whenever. Fuck all that bullshit. I'll just make a folder and keep all my games in there. It'll be my own damn launcher with Blackjack and hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I register my PC version of Battlefield I can go to bestbuy and get a free PS4 copy?

No.
    It should.
    The registration thing is not all that reliable,
    Why not?
    it does solve some issues but it restrict everything to digital versions only after the first copy you buy and use for the registration. Most people don't buy multiple copies of the same game and see registration as an annoyance.
    If most people don't buy multiple copies of the same game then let people have a free copy to all platforms. Getting a digital version is preferable to nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Do you have any concept of how fucking expensive it is to build, own and operate a server network like AWS or Steam? Those are two of the largest in the world and to operate them globally as fast as they are for on average 39 million users a day and a billion overall won't be cheap both in terms of the vast quantity of servers actually needed, not to mention the power needed to run them 24/7
    no, he doesn't. No one does to be fair. Without this knowledge it's easy to start believing this "just reduce the cut lol" bullshit. And you know what's the best part? There is no way for us to know it unless steam releases this info, so this whole topic about steam should or shouldn't reduce it's cut is just people throwing opinions at each other and thinking that their opinion is right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Google
    google also takes 30% by the way
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-10-05 at 02:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.