Should I ask for HDD to be refunded?

I have ST1500MD003 now, but it's old and started to show it's age, so I wanted to buy new one and perform complete copy via ddrescue. I've bought new ST2000MD008. Without reading any feedback about this HDD. Cuz I trusted Seagate. My first drive served for 10 years. My current drive is 7 years old. And only after encountering some suspicious things, I decided to read feedback. And it was negative. To high rate of rejected drives. It would be better, if I would ask for refund within 3 days. It really looks like new, but some signs show, that it's used or refubrished with resetted SMART. So now I'm in doubt. It works pretty well, full copy has completed without any errors, but there are some problems. May be it's ok for this drive, may be not. May be it's due to vibrations and I should use shock-absorbers. Problem is - my case doesn't have them. I just want to ask for advice. Should I refund it immediately or should I give it a chance? Problem is - to find replacement. WD Blue with the same size and price is much slower. Only 5400rpm, 64Mb cache and 150Mb/s max data transfer. And feedback is also negative, lol.

Several problems with it just after 1 day of using:
    1) Low freq noise, like it's bearing is dead. I don't feel them, but may be there are some vibrations.
    2) Heads creaking, like they're 100 years old.
    3) Too high seek error rate on SMART. Higher, than on my 7 years old drive. It has about +1 error per second. And new drive has around +6 errors per second.

Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2019-10-23 at 04:48 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Seagate is a pretty reliable brand but I would advise against cheap drives especially one with those specs. 5400 rpm is a thing of the past. If you're a gamer you should be looking at ssds.

If you really need a backup drive and can't afford a ssd then go with a 1-2+ TB drive that's at least 7200rpm and is SATA3 at 6Gbps. Even these are considered slow compared to ssds but they do the job. They're fine for storage but I wouldn't use them for gaming or to install windows on.

As for your Seagate drive I would think about replacing it with a SSD. It's always better to save up and buy the part when you can then torture yourself with a slow drive.

Feedback reviews don't always tell you everything but it's a safe bet to buy something of at least 4 stars on Amazon/Newegg.

Like the previous post, look into an ssd they are really cheap these days especially if you catch a sale. HDD really should only be for raw storage that you don't really care about.
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

m.2 intel 660p 1tb at 100 euro is a steal.

I haven't had any HDDs in my PC for quite some time now.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post

The only problem is he either needs to get a PCI adapter or have a MB that supports M.2. I would guess something in the last 2-3 years.
    If he does have the slot I agree with your selection of the intel 660. It's going for $99USD here.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you using the HDD for?

No actually scratch that, there's only 1 usage that I would recommend HDD's for anymore and that is mass storage, and tbh I don't think it really matters if it's 5400rpm or 5900rpm or 7200rpm at that point, they're all good enough and fast enough for just storing lots of data imo. I actually prefer 5400 or 5900rpm drives due to lower noise and power usage.

For anything work or gaming related, just use SSD's. They're cheap enough these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Seagate is a pretty reliable brand but I would advise against cheap drives especially one with those specs.
    There's no such thing as Seagate being reliable. Just ask Blackblase. Seagate has certainly gotten better than 2016 where some of their drives had a 20% failure rate. But today the most reliable drives are HGST.

I just got that same SSD for my HTPC, but it still has three HDDs in there for storage. 1TB is not enough for me. I got two 4TB drives and one 1.5TB drive and they're mostly full.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I just got that same SSD for my HTPC, but it still has three HDDs in there for storage. 1TB is not enough for me. I got two 4TB drives and one 1.5TB drive and they're mostly full.
    How are you backing all that data up?!

Well, it all depends on what you do with your pc. I have a total of 2tb SSD and that's more than enough for my needs. My NAS has two 2TB drives in raid which are mostly empty too.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it all depends on what you do with your pc. I have a total of 2tb SSD and that's more than enough for my needs. My NAS has two 2TB drives in raid which are mostly empty too.
    I got 1TB of SSD for games and 6tb bulk. I might have to buy another 6tb drive or bigger next year too.

The life of someone with a lot of video storage..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    How are you backing all that data up?!
    I don't backup all of it. If my games go bye bye then I'll just re download them. I have one 4TB drive that is the backup of the other 4TB drive, on top of which I have a number of re-writable Blu-Ray disks I backup twice a year. The 1.5TB is where all the games are stored, because I'd rather not wear out the 1TB SSD. On top of this, I also have my main gaming PC which has a few large drives as well as a 1TB SSD. All the PCs in my home are connected through a gigabyte Ethernet connection, so if I need to move data around for backing up then this makes it easy. Nearly all the PCs use my HTPC as a source for backing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I got 1TB of SSD for games and 6tb bulk. I might have to buy another 6tb drive or bigger next year too.

The life of someone with a lot of video storage..
    And VPN as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    And VPN as well.
    Oh, that's on another system. Nah, these 6tb are for work

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    There's no such thing as Seagate being reliable. Just ask Blackblase. Seagate has certainly gotten better than 2016 where some of their drives had a 20% failure rate. But today the most reliable drives are HGST.
    Yeah, if they've gotten better recently, that's good to hear, but I've had enough bad experiences with Seagate that I've just been completely avoiding them for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Seagate is a pretty reliable brand but I would advise against cheap drives especially one with those specs. 5400 rpm is a thing of the past. If you're a gamer you should be looking at ssds.

If you really need a backup drive and can't afford a ssd then go with a 1-2+ TB drive that's at least 7200rpm and is SATA3 at 6Gbps. Even these are considered slow compared to ssds but they do the job. They're fine for storage but I wouldn't use them for gaming or to install windows on.

As for your Seagate drive I would think about replacing it with a SSD. It's always better to save up and buy the part when you can then torture yourself with a slow drive.

Feedback reviews don't always tell you everything but it's a safe bet to buy something of at least 4 stars on Amazon/Newegg.
    Dunno. I trust two manufacturers only. Seagate and WD. Just because they have been making HDDs since IBM PC. This drive is 7200rpm/SATA III 6Gbs/256Mb/220Mbs, while WD for the same price is 5400rpm/SATA III 6Gbs/64Mb/150Mbs.

And you haven't answered my question. May be some of you have had some experience with HDDs? It it ok for brand new drive to have such terrible SMART data?
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2019-10-23 at 05:06 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    If its a new drive, and getting those errors, yes return it. (and get an SSD)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab