Can we not create a thread for everything?

This is a little ironic and i'm just creating one. So ye, what moral i have right? Right, but the thing is that, there's topics i see that are a constant repentance of others, and like, can't we all just talk in there?

Example:
    Gear - Talk about gear in that one topic.
    Classes - Talk about classes in that one topic.
    Polls - Don't create polls that is exactly same thing as other poll but with a little difference.

I'm no one
    (and i know that) to say what you should do or not. But why can't people just stay in one thread and speaking to the OP or other people, instead of creating a new one, just to point out they don't like a certain thing and have to be heard? You get what i mean? Threads start being a copy of a copy.

Guys, unless it's something totally new, please, don't start a thread to point out your opinion when you can do it on a existent one.

Cheers.

You must be new to message boards.

Every community I've ever been in has the same three or four hot topics that pop up with ridiculous frequency. They're aways worded slightly different so it's not a 1:1 copy but it's usually the same thoughts and ideas. The idea of one topic to rule them all kind of snubs the appeal of a message board. People like having the ability to create their own discussion topics even if they're just discussing the same thing some other rando did a week ago in a thread that has since died.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You must be new to message boards.

Every community I've ever been in has the same three or four hot topics that pop up with ridiculous frequency. They're aways worded slightly different so it's not a 1:1 copy but it's usually the same thoughts and ideas. The idea of one topic to rule them all kind of snubs the appeal of a message board. People like having the ability to create their own discussion topics even if they're just discussing the same thing some other rando did a week ago in a thread that has since died.
    Ye, new for some months. But you just like talk with someone about one thing and then, there's like 3 or 4 more about the same thing, why even bother replying or make a discussion if you know it will be more and you will repeat yourself? I just don't get it!

Considering for reasons beyond my understanding, resurrecting old topics is frowned upon, topics will be repeated. Mods would rather you create a new thread about whether or not Garrosh was to blame for his actions than resurrect one from 3 years ago. Plus, discouraging discussion threads in a discussion forum seems a little short-sighted. As long as we're not getting 15 versus threads a day, or 15 High Elf threads a day, I don't see the need to micro manage threads to that extent. I have seen mods say if they saw too many "VS threads" that they would merge it into a mega thread, as it happened with the High Elf Mega Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Considering for reasons beyond my understanding, resurrecting old topics is frowned upon, topics will be repeated. Mods would rather you create a new thread about whether or not Garrosh was to blame for his actions than resurrect one from 3 years ago. Plus, discouraging discussion threads in a discussion forum seems a little short-sighted. As long as we're not getting 15 versus threads a day, or 15 High Elf threads a day, I don't see the need to micro manage threads to that extent. I have seen mods say if they saw too many "VS threads" that they would merge it into a mega thread, as it happened with the High Elf Mega Thread.
    I'm not talking about 3 years old topics, i'm talking about daily-weekly. There's always same ones, with a few changes that is basically nothing, and i feel i'm repeating myself on those, and probably more people does, but we don't care cause we like to talk anyway lol still the point is that, man can people not create topics to have answers on something they already commented before on other threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I'm not talking about 3 years old topics, i'm talking about daily-weekly. There's always same ones, with a few changes that is basically nothing, and i feel i'm repeating myself on those, and probably more people does, but we don't care cause we like to talk anyway lol still the point is that, man can people not create topics to have answers on something they already commented before on other threads?
    That's why we have moderators, it's really up to them to determine that.

Ye, new for some months. But you just like talk with someone about one thing and then, there's like 3 or 4 more about the same thing, why even bother replying or make a discussion if you know it will be more and you will repeat yourself? I just don't get it!
    Each topic of discussion is malleable. The direction the discussion takes isn't always 100% the same even if the talking points remain consistent. It's about the journey more than the destination.

Can we stop making threads on telling others what to do? kthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    That's why we have moderators, it's really up to them to determine that.
    Agreed but really is a bit annoying. I try coming to forum to just see what people are talking about and in a list of so many threads i see basically same repeated ones. Mega threads should be more consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Can we stop making threads on telling others what to do? kthxbai
    I specifically said i'm no one to tell others what to do. I have even put negrito on it. So your post is just to put more wood on a fire.

Someone else’s topic about the thing you’d like to talk about won’t send email notifications whenever someone responds specifically to the topic and therefore the OP. All the derailments and sub discussions aren't aimed ultimately at the OP.

Everyone is thinking it, most wont say it, but it’s totally a factor: Subscribing to a megathread or someone else’s discussion is a pain. Responses to your own thread are to you. No one will admit this factor but it’s very real. It’s the dopamine rush of attention.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-10-05 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Someone else’s topic about the thing you’d like to talk about won’t send email notifications whenever someone responds specifically to the topic and therefore the OP.

Everyone is thinking it, most wont say it, but it’s totally a factor: Subscribing to a megathread or someone else’s discussion is a pain. Responses to your own thread are to you. No one will admit this factor but it’s very real. It’s the dopamine rush of attention.
    So what you recommend me? I should sub all the mega threads? I wish there was more of those tho but ye thank you for the insight.

- - - Updated - - -

Each topic of discussion is malleable. The direction the discussion takes isn't always 100% the same even if the talking points remain consistent. It's about the journey more than the destination.
    I mean, ofc, but ends up feeling a bit repeated.
    The journey and the destination thing reminds me of that thing we say when we don't get something "what matters was the journey and the friends we made along the way" xD

So what you recommend me? I should sub all the mega threads? I wish there was more of those tho but ye thank you for the insight.
    I couldn't even imagine the inbox traffic of subbing to a megathread. It would drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I couldn't even imagine the inbox traffic of subbing to a megathread. It would drive me nuts.
    Haha well you're 10 years member you know better

lead by example. bump an existing post complaining about this sort of stuff instead of making your own.

A note on megathreads:

Too many megathreads is just as bad as not enough megathreads. This is getting into discussion of moderation which is against site rules but from my time here it would seem that the Mods around here would prefer individual topics to megathreads.

Moreover, I can't imagine this forum would be nearly as active if everything was compartmentalized into topics like, "[Megathread] LFR rules (Part 7)" and, "[Megathread] LFR sucks (Part 13)." It'd be a lot easier to find your own happy little echo chamber, sure, but that's half the fun of participating in discussions around here imo.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    lead by example. bump an existing post complaining about this sort of stuff instead of making your own.
    Well there's no post talking about what i am saying so, it's not really same thing. And i'm not complaining, i'm asking people to pay more attention when creating a new thread that is repeated, cause it gets confusing and even i myself felt many times i'm repeating myself and i even stopped replying some. Because when you repeat yourself too much, you get tired. Like "whats wrong with classes" "what made bfa class design so bad" "personal loot" "rewarding system and personal loot" and just feels like even many threads is just people like open up as a psychology forum, about how sad they are by not enjoying something on game. And creates even more negativity, and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

A note on megathreads:

Too many megathreads is just as bad as not enough megathreads. This is getting into discussion of moderation which is against site rules but from my time here it would seem that the Mods around here would prefer individual topics to megathreads.

Moreover, I can't imagine this forum would be nearly as active if everything was compartmentalized into topics like, "[Megathread] LFR rules (Part 7)" and, "[Megathread] LFR sucks (Part 13)." It'd be a lot easier to find your own happy little echo chamber, sure, but that's half the fun of participating in discussions around here imo.
    Ye i get that, also because on megathreads you have so much pages you can't just really go through it all. Just like a bit more balance, before deciding to post a new thread, to balance out the versatile discussions.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has been relatively constructive and I appreciate that. If you have suggestions for how we handle this sort of thing, please feel free to let us know how you would like to see it in the Suggestions board.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)