Poll: So what about you is your jobs safe are you A.I and Robot Proof?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Its gona take a shit load of a long time for robots to be even close lol. I work with these machines enough to know how advanced it is. We arent even 30 years close to them being even able to troubleshoot themselves, let alone repair or reprogram. Automation works because it is dumb and effective because it is focused. Until we can make proper Androids, repairing a machine is too complex of many tasks at once, it is manual labor, electricity and electronic troubleshooting and programing. The robot repairing the other dumber robots would be even more complex and even more prone to need repair on top of it.

The smartest thing we have in industrial automation right now are semi auto programming machines. For example an Arm, that instead of doing old school programming to tell it exactly how to take optimal movement for its given task. You can give him only the locations you want him to move to and he will do the math of how to best get the movement done himself. Its not 100% all the time, but its the best we have right now, saves a shitload of programming time (except the arm still gotta be programmed to be able to program its own path obviously). But after this one software is made, you can now simply give him multiple task without too much programming.

The problem with repair and robots, is that for now and a long while, AI and robots are 100% programmed by people to do things specifically. Robots can only work in context they are designed and programmed for. The basis of the hardest repairs are often that something unexpected happened, hence, if its not expected we did not program it. Until you have a full android with an AI that can act and pick up tool and use them in unexpected way, something we are very far off, Robots cannot repair themselves. They could maintenance themselves to some degree, but again if something is unusuale and the robot is not programmed to see it, he will not see a potential problem during its maintenance, while a real person or a full AI might deduce that an unexpected problem might be arriving soon or a situation might look unsual but the experience and reflection of a real person or a full AI might say this is currently still in a working state even if its not standard. While a simple robot will not be able to do any distinction.
    And it's not often that robots themselves break down. I've seen ABB robots that have been running for 20+ years in production, 24/7. They don't physically get stressed in my working world, since all they are doing is moving parts around. They are usually a lot bigger than their loads due to the need for reach. The biggest material handling robot I've seen can lift 1,000 Kilos and that's the largest robot that ABB makes, one of their Foundry 2 series. And the load it's picking up is almost at capacity. Since it isn't moving fast and won't be moving thousands of parts a day, it likely won't get worn out quickly, but it won't last more than 10 years before needing all of the bearings and servo motors replaced to get rid of backlash. Most of what breaks on a robot is the end of arm tooling, which we can't do much about, material stresses and cracks over time under load. Even with regulated pressure, often times the gripper pieces are what breaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    Pretty simple: all desk jobs are on borrowed time. Some will be done by humans longer than others. I firmly believe that jobs involving manual labor will be safer. Analyzing the stock market? Sure, a ANN can do that. Robots being able to stock the shelves in the grocery store? We're faaar away from that.
    By far away you mean like next year right? It wouldn't be difficult to make it so the robot can stock the shelf. The shelves themselves would need to also be changed to accommodate the robot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. My job as a whole? That's AI-proof. Some tasks in my job? They will be taken over by AI 100%.

As product manager/software owner some of my design and wire-framing will be taken over by AI.

Discussion with project managers and customers and "political" decisions? Unlikely in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    AI wouldn't replace you, it would replace the stupid people you're calling retarded. You would just be fired since you're services wouldn't be needed.
    I sincerely doubt that considering animal welfare laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I sincerely doubt that considering animal welfare laws.
    So your job is to inform people they're bad with owning animals and should feel bad?

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Im not scared of the AI at all. Dumb machines are more dangerous to our economies then AI ever will. Full AI is still a pipe dream, like faster then light space travel. If you are currently scared by the prospect of Full AI on the economy, id be more scared of dumb automated space ship with 0 intellect before the end of the century effectivly mining rare material in the Asteroids belt crashing the price as all the "rare" material on earth becoming worthless in price.
    While it's currently impossible to know how far away AGI is, there is good reason to believe that we're talking decades rather than centuries. I would place it in the same category as commercially viable fusion power rather than faster than light travel (which may or may not ever be possible).

That said, for most tasks AGI would be overkill anyway. From a technological perspective I think it would be possible to partially replace most professions within a decade or two. However, it's not obvious that this would be cost effective and there's also a fair amount of resistance in the system to this kind of change. For example it would probably be pretty easy to replace the pilots in commercial aircraft in the near future. But getting people to fly with those planes might be harder.

I would like to see a ai take orders, take cash and small talk to customers and then cook some food. Probably can do the first one.

I would love working with a ai though would be fun. I could send him on angry and shitty customers too.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashenfury View Post
    While it's currently impossible to know how far away AGI is, there is good reason to believe that we're talking decades rather than centuries. I would place it in the same category as commercially viable fusion power rather than faster than light travel (which may or may not ever be possible).
    I see no reason to think there's been any progress in AGI whatsoever nor will there be anytime soon. Nobody has the slightest clue about how a program could solve problems it wasn't programmed to solve, in an unbounded domain.

From a technological perspective I think it would be possible to partially replace most professions within a decade or two.
    Not without AGI. People seriously underestimate how many jobs require people to adapt to new circumstances for which there is no prior. That requires creativity.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-10-07 at 10:01 AM.

Front-end development is already competing with simple WYSIWYG services. I imagine such services can be improved immensely with good AI.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account

As long as stuff like this continues to happen, I'm not worried about AI/robots taking over my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Certain aspects are safe. Im a Technical Account Manager. Reporting and trend analysis could absolutely be automated. But the discussions I have with clients couldn’t.
    i work in technical sales too, and my thinking is that customer relationships arent something humans would ever want AI to replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    I would like to see a ai take orders, take cash and small talk to customers and then cook some food. Probably can do the first one.

I would love working with a ai though would be fun. I could send him on angry and shitty customers too.
    Have you heard of Eatsa (now or Spyce? Not much missing to fully automate it. Other big players in the US are going at it like crazy, esp. Domino's, McD and TacoBell. When you switch and retrain entire staffs after a year or less you start looking for a more stable solution. No, not paying more and showing respect to your employees, kiosks, drones and robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Become a software engineer and you're golden
    The creators can't be replaced, we'll always be creating, something better, more AI, or beyond the AI itself.
    Once the AI becomes self aware, it doesn't matter what job you have though, we're all done for XD

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    i work in technical sales too, and my thinking is that customer relationships arent something humans would ever want AI to replicate.
    Well, there's always downsizing.
    An automated response and self help system will reduce the need for technical support and sales by as much as 75%
    And that's already happening.

Online sales, and digitalization.
    Free record shop, game stores, and various other stores are simply disappearing because many stores are getting replaced by digital ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post

Here in holland we have the "febo".
    It's famous for "food from the wall"
    https://dutchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/FEBO-1.jpg
    Last edited by bbr; 2019-10-07 at 08:00 PM.

Borrowed time at best.

Bring it on, we need whatever follows capitalism once it starts to collapse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess eventually I could be replaced, Mech Engineer btw. Might not for a good couple of decades and by then I'll be nearly 60, so, who cares.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I guess eventually I could be replaced, Mech Engineer btw. Might not for a good couple of decades and by then I'll be nearly 60, so, who cares.
    Not anytime soon. Unless you just repeat the same task all day than your job can't be automated with current software. In my experience engineers are pretty creative, constantly finding new ways to apply their knowledge to new scenarios.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Become a software engineer and you're golden
    Depends.

Guys who code? They will be hit rather earlier than later. Especially if you take a look at things like machine learning. Every porgrammer should right now try to get some additional qualifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a developer and process consultant there's no way I'll ever be replaced by an A.I unless we somehow manage to create a fully sentient A.I.

Sysadmin here. I'd like to see a robot do everything I do, let alone do it better than I do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Depends.

Guys who code? They will be hit rather earlier than later. Especially if you take a look at things like machine learning. Every porgrammer should right now try to get some additional qualifications.
    Why do you think that though? There's never been any evidence that machine learning, which is based on inductive reasoning, can generate new code that it wasn't specifically trained for in its example data. ML is artificial narrow intelligence(ANI) and can't replace programmers.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-10-08 at 08:26 PM.