Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Past a certain age, candidates should undergo an objective, unbiased medical checkup. Someone with a brain tumor shouldn't be allowed to run for example.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Not an age cap, but rather the existing standards of "unbecoming behaviour" should be you know, enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No, voters took a hard look at who McCain picked, thus why I said "voters"
    McCain was basically saddled with her because the GOP establishment was afraid he wasn't appealing enough to ignorant racists and shitheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I know I don't spend every single minute on here in a perpetual salty melt-down, is that the standard?
    The standard for supporting Trump?

Well actually, it probably is at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    You don't have to get to pay to grift...
    Then you don't know what "Grift" means. I guess its become another word like Cuck, or Chud, or whatever, a word to take on. The problem is Grift implies you know, Swindle. It is a synonym of Swindle, and I've not managed to get anyone here to give to a patreon or a kickfundme or buy merch or something. I shitpost and have opinions to the Right of Bernie Sanders on some social issues. If its all a grift you'd have to explain it to me and how I can pick up my checks, because so far I've not been doing it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I do not believe in age caps, maybe people with no children should be barred though. They have no direct emotional connection to the future.
    Then can't the same be said for old people?

Not only do you want to force people without kids to be forced to pay more, you also want them to be forcefully prevented from having representation?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The standard for supporting Trump?

Well actually, it probably is at this point.
    Without Connal or Atethecat regularly posting anymore the forum has become a dull place indeed. A perpetually brine and rancid soup of Trump induced psychosis and melt downs. What is wild is people attributing to me this intense Trump supporting persona, despite almost never posting about him.

I have a unique ability to resist his one and only move, which is to grab attention. I also don't have a TV so I don't watch televised news and thus spend every day bathed in a nonstop 24/7 caustic perpetual gamma ray burst of perpetual outrage and obsession. Spending so much time dwelling on Trump can't be good for ones health. It's like spending your time standing next to the melted down Chernobyl Reactor... just don't do it and your mental state is eternally better for it.

Some posters on here spend as much time in one day thinking about Donald Trump as I have in an entire year. I do wonder if some people here could even go a day without thinking about him or uttering or writing his name.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2019-10-07 at 03:26 PM.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Without Connal or Atethecat regularly posting anymore the forum has become a dull place indeed. A perpetually brine and rancid soup of Trump induced psychosis and melt downs. What is wild is people attributing to me this intense Trump supporting persona, despite almost never posting about him.

I have a unique ability to resist his one and only move, which is to grab attention. I also don't have a TV so I don't watch televised news and thus spend every day bathed in a nonstop 24/7 caustic perpetual gamma ray burst of perpetual outrage and obsession. Spending so much time dwelling on Trump can't be good for ones health. It's like spending your time standing next to the melted down Chernobyl Reactor... just don't do it and your mental state is eternally better for it.

Some posters on hear spend as much time in one day thinking about Donald Trump as I have in an entire year. I do wonder if some people here could even go a day without thinking about him or uttering or writing his name.
    That's not really true, considering you spammed literally dozens of threads trying to bash his opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Just some casual ageism from the self-appointed enlightened folks, I see.
    I don't understand how this is "ageism". In an ideal environment we can let anyone at any age do anything, but that would require constant testing and monitoring that we frankly don't have the resources to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Which is why the limit should match retirement age... which is currently 65. The minimum should be based on military enlistment, which is 18.
    This is probably most acceptable, though I would argue that 18 is a bad idea and a strange time in general. I'm all for getting rid of safety nets, but letting someone whose brain isn't fully formed become president would be an awful idea. It's already an awful idea to let them join the military at the age of 18, but perhaps that is discussion for another thread.

I do not believe in age caps, maybe people with no children should be barred though. They have no direct emotional connection to the future.
    As someone who doesn't have nor has any desire to have children, I do have direct emotional connection to the future. I still have friends, family, and things I enjoy in the world. If anything I debate that it makes me even more in tune to what is 'good' for the country because I am not blinded by hormonal connections towards offspring. I'm not the one who would prevent a homeless shelter from being built because I don't want those kind of people near my kids.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

Then you don't know what "Grift" means. I guess its become another word like Cuck, or Chud, or whatever, a word to take on. The problem is Grift implies you know, Swindle. It is a synonym of Swindle, and I've not managed to get anyone here to give to a patreon or a kickfundme or buy merch or something. I shitpost and have opinions to the Right of Bernie Sanders on some social issues. If its all a grift you'd have to explain it to me and how I can pick up my checks, because so far I've not been doing it right.
    Not at all you can grift with no financial incentive.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You should abolish your monarchy. Far stupider than electing someone to fill that position.
    Monarchy isn't that bad.
    Especially since it's mostly a symbolic function.

The country is actually run by a parliament (both in the netherlands and the UK, and many other monarchies)
    The parliament is chosen by the people.
    There's no real "1" person in charge.
    It's a true, proper democracy.

So, aside a monarch, we still have a president as well.
    For outsiders, it may look complicated but... well,. crime is low.
    Welfare is good.
    Prisons are mostly empty.
    No weird gun laws.

As for too old, whatever is the retirement age.
    A president should be held to the same standard as the people. Here that's 67. You retire, you go enjoy your old age and golf or knit.
    67 shouldn't be the starting age for a presidential campaign.
    Being the president is "work", and you'll have a lot of stress.

If you're old, I don't see that being good for your health.
    Not saying any man couldn't do it,. but if you're 75, that seems really too old for a high position with a lot of travel.
    Imagine what would happen if the president died of a heart attack due to old age.
    The country would be in disarray.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Not at all you can grift with no financial incentive.
    You'd have to explain how any of it is Grifting, since I'm not asking for anything in return for my posts nor gaining anything out of it. Do you know what the word even means?
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2019-10-08 at 03:07 AM.

No. Mental health cap maybe, to filter out people who are clearly insanely delusional and live in their own little worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Some posters on here spend as much time in one day thinking about Donald Trump as I have in an entire year. I do wonder if some people here could even go a day without thinking about him or uttering or writing his name.
    I'd comment, but to be perfectly honest I can never remember which one you are.

I don't know why you miss Connal though, "dull" encapsulates his inane hectoring pretty nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlesocks View Post
    I don't understand how this is "ageism". In an ideal environment we can let anyone at any age do anything, but that would require constant testing and monitoring that we frankly don't have the resources to do.

This is probably most acceptable, though I would argue that 18 is a bad idea and a strange time in general. I'm all for getting rid of safety nets, but letting someone whose brain isn't fully formed become president would be an awful idea. It's already an awful idea to let them join the military at the age of 18, but perhaps that is discussion for another thread.
    Most of the structural changes in the prefrontal cortex finish at around 16, with the synaptic pruning that occurs into your 30s to early 40s (not 25) largely being "fine tuning".

Truthfully though, for both young and older people, we really can't be entirely sure what the cognitive implications are in terms of brain activity. Our current knowledge of the human brain might as well be comparable to the Victorian knowledge of race and sex, which is to say they made pretty groundbreaking discoveries in anthropology at the time, but they got a lot of things wrong as well, with negative real world implications: the identification of Tutsi's having more 'caucasoid' skulls than the Hutu by the Belgians, Australian policies on mixed race people, Nazi racial 'hygiene', studies that condoned the physical punishment of women into the early 20th century.

Which isn't to say current hypotheses are incorrect, just that, very young or very old, it's probably too premature for us to start peeling away rights or granting them based on our current understanding of neuroscience, which is still relatively limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Most of the structural changes in the prefrontal cortex finish at around 16, with the synaptic pruning that occurs into your 30s to early 40s (not 25) largely being "fine tuning".

Truthfully though, for both young and older people, we really can't be entirely sure what the cognitive implications are in terms of brain activity. Our current knowledge of the human brain might as well be comparable to the Victorian knowledge of race and sex, which is to say they made pretty groundbreaking discoveries in anthropology at the time, but they got a lot of things wrong as well, with negative real world implications: the identification of Tutsi's having more 'caucasoid' skulls than the Hutu by the Belgians, Australian policies on mixed race people, Nazi racial 'hygiene', studies that condoned the physical punishment of women into the early 20th century.

Which isn't to say current hypotheses are incorrect, just that, very young or very old, it's probably too premature for us to start peeling away rights or granting them based on our current understanding of neuroscience, which is still relatively limited.
    https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...lly-developed/

The biggest things I would note being:
    Increased connectivity: The connections between brain regions appear to be strengthened, thus making communication more efficient. The brain is able to transmit greater amounts of information between regions and becomes better at planning, dealing with emotions, and problem solving.
    Executive functions: A majority of the executive functions that we develop are via the prefrontal cortex. This allows us to help assess risk, think ahead, evaluate ourselves, set goals, and regulate our emotions. Although many of these functions are developed during teenage years, they are still under slight development and strengthened until our mid-20s.
    As someone well past my teens, I would never trust any teenager to be president. It's nothing against their age itself, it merely has to do with life experience and forming connections in the brain. It is no secret that teenagers (and some adults) in general have serious problems grasping long-term consequences of actions or ability to handle emotions. There are links to the studies on brain development at the bottom of the article that also state that significant brain development takes place into the mid 20's.

We already peel away rights for the young and the old. I would assume you agree with not letting a 10-12 year old drive a car, it's when we are deciding the hard lines that it gets more tricky than the extreme examples. For instance, if someone is a day away from turning 21, is drinking early really that big a deal? How about 2 weeks? 2 months? In a more ideal world we could measure each individual person and plot them on a course of development and responsibility, but as it is we have to make general guidelines instead of allowing all 18 year olds to run for president just because one in a billion 18 year olds is a prodigy. In the same way, it makes sense to have hard lines on old age, because the benefits outweigh the costs by imposing a generalized limit.

Ideally we would get more statistics and run a cost-benefit ratio to determine the proper age (subject to change with technological advancement) in which the normal cognitive decline due to aging and risk for neurological disorders becomes worth looking into regulating. This is part of why I am entirely for Andrew Yang's proposal for a white house psychologist considering around 20% of people over 65 have some form of mental disorder stacked on top of cognitive decline, and at least a third of those are untreated. I don't necessarily like 1/5 odds or more that the old people sticking around in high government offices are off their rocker.

edit- For reference, everything I have read states that someone who has reached the age of 65 has lost nearly a full standard deviation of intelligence from the time they were 30, and the decline grows more rapidly as age increases. This means an average person with an IQ of 100 (baseline) would be dropping into mental retardation ranges by their mid 70's.
    Last edited by Puzzlesocks; 2019-10-09 at 06:05 PM.
    ― Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    I don't think age limits are necessary, but perhaps some sort of yearly mental/cognitive health test on politicians after 70.
    If someone's in charge of an entire nation, I think annual health and mental checks should be a no brainer. Unfortunately, in the case of Trump, it shows how easily even these can be corrupted.

The system needs to be stronger than the person, otherwise the person just corrupts the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Mid-twenties? Try your thirties...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...re-hit-30.html

From an interview with a neuroscience from the Daily Mail (admittedly not a great source, but irrelevant to the science involved). While adolescents and young adults into their 30s may be more prone to distractions, for example, than the brains of older adults, the idea that we can find an unambiguous age where the brain is especially mature enough to vote/drive/drink/become a world leader undermines the fact that human brains are subject to continuous changes throughout our lives, each age range coming with cognitive strengths and weaknesses. Might I add the various genetic and environmental factors that are also often overlooked by these simplistic lines of thought.
    Indeed, the brain is really quite interesting. Apparently they have names for this now that separates knowledge into "Fluid" and "Crystalline" knowledge. In a sense, as you get older your crystal knowledge grows (accumulation of learned knowledge) and your fluid or reactive knowledge slowly lessens. It seems that the more neural pathways a brain creates as it ages creates, the less available ways to grow remain. It's interesting to me that this data corroborates that older people tend to use life experience to solve problems while younger people tend to look at problems from a new angle.
    Crystallized intelligence refers to skills, ability, and knowledge that is overlearned, well-practiced, and familiar. Vocabulary and general knowledge are examples of crystallized abilities. Because crystallized intelligence is due to accumulation of information based on one’s life experiences, older adults tend to perform better at tasks requiring this type of intelligence when compared to younger adults. In contrast, fluid intelligence refers to abilities involving problem-solving and reasoning about things that are less familiar and are independent of what one has learned. Fluid cognition includes a person’s innate ability to process and learn new information, solve problems, and attend to and manipulate one’s environment. Executive function, processing speed, memory, and psychomotor ability are considered fluid cognitive domains.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4015335/

I assume we were talking exclusively about voting age adults 18+. I wouldn't think so, as far as I'm concerned if an adult over the age of 18 wants to consume alcohol, smoke tobacco or cannabis or even snort a line, it's none of my business, regardless of what the federal government has to say about it.
    For the most part I agree. I'm pretty openly against nanny-state laws. I like to step back and see the issues from other angles, and I can understand why people set age limits on things.

Basing legal rights off of statistics is a slippery slope in my opinion, because it assumes that *all* statistics have the correct or enough variables and because it relegates demographics into numbers, which may sound acceptable for age, but leads into a slippery slope. After all, if race and sex were not a protected class, why couldn't a state legally discriminate against an ethnic group that committed a statistically disproportionate level or violent crimes or driving while intoxicated? You can say because race and gender are not subject to continuous change like age, but as far as I've researched, discrimination and cultural connotations impact the youth and senior psyche just as negatively as it does minorities, often leading to the marginalized group to unintentionally propagate the same negative behaviors stereotyped of them in a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Again I agree, but statistics are used as weapons very commonly in the USA. From voting and driving rights, insurance and loan rates, police and EMT response times to certain areas, or even smoking bans and seatbelt/helmet laws.

Even just giving people positive stereotypes of their demographic is shown to increase their performance. I remember reading a study (which I will find the citations to) that found that students in China actually performed better cognitively and academically when they were shown positive stereotypes of teenagers.
    This doesn't surprise me one bit. Positive reinforcement is a huge factor in building teams and getting better results. It's funny how something that could be interpreted as a placebo is so effective, words have greater power than many like to admit.

All of which is not to say there can't be legal forms of discrimination across demographics, gendered bathrooms or senior living homes are perfectly tenable, but in general, we should strive to treat people as individuals and not beholden to a single group. That seems to be the best choice in terms of fostering societal cohesion and personal satisfaction.

You should read up on Robert Epstein's research on both adolescence and senility. He covers the ambiguity of the adolescent brain and the changes that occur in old age in pretty good detail, regardless of what you or I might think of his political beliefs.

I'll try to find you links to some of his writing.
    This is probably the biggest thing that gets me hate from leftists even though I generally lean left. I think discrimination (meaning:recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.) is not only natural, but very healthy. There are some who are fighting to say that we are all the same, and we are all so very different from one another in many ways. While I agree that we are all part of the same system, and even the same species, I would be a far different person if I was born in India or China instead of the USA. Heck, I would be a far different person if I was born to a different family within the USA.

I'll take a look into R. Epstein, cognition is a fascinating subject.
    ― Lao Tzu

Just because people can live to a really old age doesn't mean they can perform their role/job at a really old age. Higher life expectancy is nice due to advances in medicine but that doesn't ensure an actual quality of life or an ability cognitively and otherwise to be president.

This is a topic that warrants discussion and as other people have pointed out there is a minimum age to be president which begs the question on whether there should be a max age.

Yes there need to be a age cap, someone might have no experience but people still think she is talking truth so she might get elected.

Btw so happy they didnt give Greta nobel peaceprize, my god that would have killed it. They usually give it to people that have killed alot like obama but even worse giving it to a kid that just skipped school and holding up signs.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Whether a candidate is too old should be decided by the voters.

I actually agree with zenkai here, when McCain was thought of as "too old" in 2008, people looked to see who he was going to pick for VP. He went way young, with Sarah Palin, and if she wasn't batshit insane and dumb, it would have probably reassured people.

When I look at the top candidates today: Trump seems too old, Biden seems like he's slowly losing grip, Bernie doesn't seem to be too old but he seems a lot like a grumpy grandfather......and Warren and HRC seem to still be sharp as knives. These five are all relatively the same age, I don't feel comfortable barring Warren because Trump can't string together coherent sentences.

That being said, Reagan having dementia for his second term as President should have had an easier way to deal with that.
    So lets the voters decide if someone is too young to be president then. I'm sorry but given what the voters decided in 2016 I have very, very little faith in their ability to make actual good choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Do you think that retired persons are incapable of being President? I think they would be the perfect candidate for the Presidency, considering they've lived a life and know its hardships. I wouldn't want an 18 year old (most of which live with their parents) making my retirement policies, that's for sure.
    As pointed out by Skoe and others, older presidents are more likely to support things that benefit their age group directly in the short term while ignoring the issues affecting those younger than they are many years down the road including those younger people who might have voted for them. It is a very real concern.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree with your logic here, but why does it need to be legislated? The entire point of a democracy is letting people choose. Adding an age restriction is restricting democracy.
    I'm sorry when was the minimum age for president put up to a vote? This is ignorant as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Police and military would make sense to have age limits - its physically demanding, unless you have a command position (I think that's the right terminology) or something. As long as someone is of sound mind, I don't think they should automatically be disqualified - but they should have to go for mandatory yearly or bi yearly mental health evaluations if they're past a certain age and if they fail those evaluations, you should invoke the 25th amendment.
    I don't think you understand the emotional and spiritual toll on being POTUS and there absolutely is physical stress as well. Physical AND mental health are huge factors.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not be ok with that, but if it's the will of the people, then so be it. I'm not ok with most of the people elected to office.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if they pass the civics test to prove they understand the positions for which they are electing.
    The will of the people got us Trump. The people are fucking braindead.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    We should be ditching the age minimum and certainly should not be instituting an age cap. Ageism can go diaf

A good conversation to have instead would be curbing presidential power.
    There are three branches of the US government so curbing presidential power would increase power for either the legislative branch or the judicial branch or both. Considering what the Supreme Court is going to be doing to GLBT rights in this session I think that is fucking scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah that's just ageism and the age limit is arbitrary. Thinking about a candidate apart from their policy platform is largely silly.
    How can a president lead his country if he dies during his term? Or has health problems that prevent him from leading? I'm sorry but this matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah that's just ageism and the age limit is arbitrary. Thinking about a candidate apart from their policy platform is largely silly.
    How can a president lead his country if he dies during his term? Or has health problems that prevent him from leading? I'm sorry but this matters.

I like Bernie Sanders, I really do. But what difference does it make to elect a president on his platform if he isn't there or able to see it through? This is a very, very valid concern especially for those who want certain candidates to be elected.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a minimum age to be president. You do understand this right?

- - - Updated - - -

Do I? I know I don't spend every single minute on here in a perpetual salty melt-down, is that the standard?
    The standard is supporting his ideology which you do at nearly every turn. You don't have to scream at the top of your lungs to say you support Trump when everything you post is tainted with his disgusting ideology.

- - - Updated - - -

Grift? Grift presumes I make you know... money. I've yet to get paid anything or open a patreon.
    Grifting isn't always about money. Your payment can be your pleasure you get from shitting all over factual or honest discussions which you do. Often. Like here.

- - - Updated - - -

No words mean things. No, not the meanings of words you and other trump supporters use. The actual meanings. You claim to be a teacher and mother but you are likely one of the most ignorant people I have ever met. I fear for those you teach and more so for the children you are raising.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump broke the law. Multiple times. Just in the past few weeks alone. The fact you are STILL supporting him while claiming not to...

You are fucking insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    But more people were smart enough to vote for Hillary, they can't all be brain dead.
    I know this but was talking about electoral college votes. It is dumb that we use both.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2019-10-11 at 04:25 PM.