Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think they took 1.12 because there are certain open-source projects with readily available source code available publicly.

I remember hearing an excuse some time ago along the lines of "We don't have that source code anymore". Which makes sense, since evolving a product you don't tend to make constant copies and store them forever as older versions of it.

And the bit about 1.12 that makes sense is that there's existing repos of it available. Forking a project and continuing from there sort of makes logical sense to me.

I do wonder often where they got their code though. Reinventing TBC can be a pickle unless you get a readily available source of some certain version of the game. (Something that I'm also after, since I couldn't care less about classic, but BC... now that's a different story).

I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Because if he wont enjoy it later it's all a waste of time? But kudos for trying to keep someone there even though they wont want to be...
    How is it a waste of time if he is enjoying it now?
    I swear so many of you treat gaming like a job rather than something you do for fun.
    If he is enjoying it now it doesn't matter if he'll enjoy it later or not.
    If he doesn't enjoy it now, then it matters if he enjoys it later or not as he'll have to do something he doesn't enjoy to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Some people disagree, but I always said the game BEGINS at max level. Same for classic.
    That's on the contrary the very strength of Classic : it DOESN'T "begins at max level". It begins right from the start.
    Just pain through to 60, then the game begins for real! Leveling always sucked, even back in the day and in every expansion since.
    That's your opinion. Leveling has always been half the fun for me (and leveling becoming more and more shitty is among the big reason why I don't play retail anymore).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Well, my playstyle is not standard. I'm doing every quest in the game (at least those that I've found), so I'm doing a lot of gray and green quests. They made me some additional money.
    That's what I'm doing too with my main (every single quest must be done !).
    It's when you do that you confirm just how full of shit the "there isn't enough quests" guys are. My main problem is not to find enough quests, it's to be able to finish them before they turn grey. Even when I purposely try to minimize rested XP (always logging out of inn/capitals) and number of kills (thanks stealth being a rogue ).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That's exactly what I was doing in IF, trying to get raid experience so I could get into a guild.
    That's backward reasoning.
    Last edited by Akka; 2019-10-08 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    You get ready for phase 2. Phase 2 you start killing the other faction in STV like crazy.
    Honestly it's much better to clear the 2 raids under 4h than having to log twice per week to wipe 4h straight on the same god damn mythic boss.
    Imo (my experiene after raiding every xpac) raiding has never been really fun for more than 2-3 weeks. We go there to get rewarded. With the rewards (better gear) you get to enjoy the game better (doing WPVP or BGs or professions or whatever). If you don't enjoy the "other things of the game" then you'll get bored in both classic and retail. Imo retail is way worst because of the scaling pvp system as it makes your rewards feel useless.
    Makes you think - Would it benefit retail if they removed LFR and kept two raid modes? One normal(rather easy) and one HC mode(hard). Both modes require grouping up like in classic, no queue system or anything. Can ofc be pugged via the lfg system.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That's your opinion. Leveling has always been half the fun for me (and leveling becoming more and more shitty is among the big reason why I don't play retail anymore).
    Retail's new PartySync feature and the massive amount of quests for Loremaster are "more shitty"?
    It's endless questing WITH your friends for a very long time.

You don't have to like every WoW version, but at least reason it with "I dont like Titanforging-Hype-Train" or "I dont like to get rated for my skill". Saying that Classic got anything in Questing above Retail after PartySync with the amount of quests is just pepega.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Retail's new PartySync feature and the massive amount of quests for Loremaster are "more shitty"?
    It's endless questing WITH your friends for a very long time.
    I stopped retail before BfA, so I can't speak for BfA. Legion and WoD leveling were garbage, though (Legion more so, save for Suramar which was pretty good, the writing was atrocious and the immersion very lacking). Obviously opinions and perceptions differ a lot, but the more and more "cinematic" way WoW treated leveling has had the opposite of the intended effect on me (that WoD introductory level cringe, gawd...).
    MoP stroke what felt like the perfect balance of openness and set pieces, and I consider it still the best leveling experience in the game, but Cata was hit and miss and post-MoP was the first time I didn't enjoy leveling at all.

As for the PartySync, it seems to be an example of things I absolutely despise - new layers of artificial mechanisms that break down even more the feeling of being part of the world.
    You don't have to like every WoW version, but at least reason it with "I dont like Titanforging-Hype-Train" or "I dont like to get rated for my skill". Saying that Classic got anything in Questing above Retail after PartySync with the amount of quests is just pepega.
    That's your opinion, that I happily don't share.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayk07 View Post
    enjoying it a lot but kinda not sure if i should keep going since its still going to get the same content i think when it comes to expansions. also due to time i really might miss lfg/lfr. i wish classic stopped at tbc or right before that and have blizz create classic only content. that would get me to stick around in classic
    Trust me. If you are struggling now at level 32, you will feel internal pain at level 50+. Just stop and accept classic is not for you.

As for the PartySync, it seems to be an example of things I absolutely despise - new layers of artificial mechanisms that break down even more the feeling of being part of the world.
    It allows you to play with your friends and quest together. Articial mechanisms??? - maybe you should not read up how raid encounters even in classic really work if you are that classic vegan.

Just a small reminder, you are playing a fantasy RPG (artificial) with a PC (artificial) through the internet (artificial). What kind of classic vegan argumentation is that in a gaming forum?
    -

That's backward reasoning.
    I agree - that's why I found it stupid having to do it. But that's the way it was.

The SINGLE feature that changes things in modern WoW is flexible raids, before flexible raids - raiding was first not available at all, then was more pot luck than anything else.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    It allows you to play with your friends and quest together. Articial mechanisms??? - maybe you should not read up how raid encounters even in classic really work if you are that classic vegan.

Just a small reminder, you are playing a fantasy RPG (artificial) with a PC (artificial) through the internet (artificial). What kind of classic vegan argumentation is that in a gaming forum?
    Obviously an argumentation that went far above your ability to understand.
    I agree - that's why I found it stupid having to do it. But that's the way it was.

The SINGLE feature that changes things in modern WoW is flexible raids, before flexible raids - raiding was first not available at all, then was more pot luck than anything else.
    That's never been my experience, be it on retail, pserver, Classic or even other MMO.
    My bet is that you're targeting the wrong guilds. I never had problems to find a raiding guild anywhere, and people without raiding experience could enter the guilds I was on.

My bet is that you're targeting the wrong guilds.
    I was targeting ANY guild ... for 9 months 4-5 nights a week in IF trying to get into ANY guild.

Finally got into one just before BC launched and did a bit of ZG.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

I was targeting ANY guild ... for 9 months 4-5 nights a week in IF trying to get into ANY guild.

Finally got into one just before BC launched and did a bit of ZG.
    Serious raiding guilds recruited through their websites and had an application process in place. Sometimes, they'd post on the realm forum if word of mouth wasn't enough. Your 9 months of sitting in IF is anecdotal and, frankly, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Serious raiding guilds recruited through their websites and had an application process in place.
    Indeed - like applying for a job, need raid experience before you can join etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Your 9 months of sitting in IF is anecdotal and, frankly, sad.
    Well - there were around 20 of us that would chat to each other, just no tanks or healers.

What would have made it better is if I could have gone and done other stuff whilst looking - but you were locked to IF if you wanted to look for a guild/raid.

You seemingly combined a pretty bad way to get a guild with a lot of bad luck (because even with this bad way, you should have easily found at least a passable one).
    The different ways to find a guild :

- Go to where the realm's guild information is located (official realm forum, unofficial one, whatever). There is typically several places where there is lists of guilds (today there is also Discord). Look at all the guilds, look at their goals, ambiance, application process, the way they write about themselves and so on. Find the fitting one.

- Play the game, run instances. You'll typically encounter people from several guilds, and sometimes you'll be the pick-up in a guild group. Be social, speak with people, joke, have fun. If you're a fun fellow, you can often get invite even without actively looking. If you notice that a specific guild has a lot of friendly/nice people, it's probably a good idea to apply.

- When you apply, don't take it as work, just imagine you're speaking to people because they want to know about you and if they'll have fun playing with you.

I've used both methods for 14 years.
    I've yet to be rejected ONCE. I've always managed to raid in a fun ambiance, be it retail, two Vanilla pserver, one WotLK pserver, LotRO or SWTOR. Either I'm incredibly talented, or it's actually not difficult at all if you don't get paralyzed by being wary of the unknown and, just as importantly, if you target the adequate guilds.

You seemingly combined a pretty bad way to get a guild with a lot of bad luck (because even with this bad way, you should have easily found at least a passable one).
    1. Look for guilds running raids and ask for info then go to their website and apply.
    2. Played the game - ran lots of Strat/Scholo... I mean A LOT of it, I got additional websites and apply sites from people in there.
    3. When I applied - the guilds took it as work, not me.

The simple issue was that I wasn't allowed into any guilds as I'd not done any raiding, and I wasn't alone in this.

I also didn't know anyone in game that was in any guilds - so I never got a personal reference to rely on either.

To this day - raiding is a case of luck, but it isn't as hard now since flex raiding lets a few more doors to open - I've stopped raiding now not because I want to, but because I no longer have any way of doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    How is it a waste of time if he is enjoying it now?
    I swear so many of you treat gaming like a job rather than something you do for fun.
    If he is enjoying it now it doesn't matter if he'll enjoy it later or not.
    If he doesn't enjoy it now, then it matters if he enjoys it later or not as he'll have to do something he doesn't enjoy to get there.
    Because it's like telling a cook who loves to cook but hates spinach that they should cook themselves a nice spinach souffle. They will enjoy the cooking but the end product would be all but worthless to them.

But you just want him to do it anyways so it helps pad the numbers in any way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Makes you think - Would it benefit retail if they removed LFR and kept two raid modes? One normal(rather easy) and one HC mode(hard). Both modes require grouping up like in classic, no queue system or anything. Can ofc be pugged via the lfg system.
    just one raid mode. With forced linear progression (to do last raid you'll need some nature resist that you can only get in another raid and to do that raid you need gear from an easier raid..). No more LFR. No more scaling (if this dude who raids the hardest raid everyday decides to pick on you, and you have mediocre gear, he's gonna wreck you period). Delete all the continents after vanilla or TBC to force people to be in same areas. Make leveling much longer to make these guys level in STV for days and partake in some worldwar they've never wanted to fight but got drafted.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I'm doing too with my main (every single quest must be done !).
    It's when you do that you confirm just how full of shit the "there isn't enough quests" guys are. My main problem is not to find enough quests, it's to be able to finish them before they turn grey. Even when I purposely try to minimize rested XP (always logging out of inn/capitals) and number of kills (thanks stealth being a rogue ).
    I've found it impossible and I'm doing mostly gray and sometimes green quests since level 10. But it seems that it gets better at level 40.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    at lvl 60 there is nothing to do

mc and ony are pushovers that you can clear in 2 hours

You know what you can do? Level another alt, I personally have a Warrior Main, with a Mage and a Rogue on the making, Rogue for World PvP.... World Ganking and Mage for Farming.

Each one another playstyle.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    You know what you can do? Level another alt, I personally have a Warrior Main, with a Mage and a Rogue on the making, Rogue for World PvP.... World Ganking and Mage for Farming.

Each one another playstyle.
    I'm not an alt guy.