Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The writing is indeed bad for BfA.

Because of how much damage they’ve caused, WoW is now in dire need of a dramatic time skip.

I’m talking hundreds of years, maybe 5 generations ahead at the least

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    The writing is indeed bad for BfA.

Because of how much damage they’ve caused, WoW is now in dire need of a dramatic time skip.

I’m talking hundreds of years, maybe 5 generations ahead at the least
    Some thing to break with the past. That is why I advocate simply not naming a new Warchief and letting the Horde die with a whimper (the most noble death we could have hoped for from Blizzard).

Can we talk about how Rexxar's entire reason for rejoining the Horde was to kill Jaina, and in the first 8.2.5 cinematic we see standing with Saurfang's traitors.... peacefully negotiating with Anduin and Jaina?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Can we talk about how Rexxar's entire reason for rejoining the Horde was to kill Jaina, and in the first 8.2.5 cinematic we see standing with Saurfang's traitors.... peacefully negotiating with Anduin and Jaina?
    To be fair, it was never out of vengeance (he has no reason to hate Jaina, if anything it could be quite the opposite) he simply deemed Jaina too crazy to stay alive. Considering how Blizzard is writing her character recently, his entire motive has become quite moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Lore started taking a dive since MOP.

How they literally fumbled Garrosh Hellscream for 8 months -- I'm still trying to pick up the pieces. It was the first time in my life I actually recognized and felt bad writing.

It's as though they had 3 separate teams injecting shit into a character with out communicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    That was a throwaway thing for Blizzard to pretend that BfA wasn't all the villain bat for the Horde and the hero bat for the Alliance. They were clearly going to adopt (as in so many things) the Alliance "Jaina did nothing wrong" view. I mean, they have her go through an entire "redemption" story that involves only what she did to Alliance people while given not even one word of regret (let alone apology) for what she has done to the Horde. At the same time, Saurfang is telling the Horde player about how their side has always

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    To be fair, it was never out of vengeance (he has no reason to hate Jaina, if anything it could be quite the opposite) he simply deemed Jaina too crazy to stay alive. Considering how Blizzard is writing her character recently, his entire motive has become quite moot.
    To be fair he should had applied axe to the head just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Considering how Blizzard is writing her character recently,
    You mean redeeming herself from not killing Horde people when Kul Tiras needed it, by killing Horde people when Kul Tiras needed it, and never showing an ounce of regret for the massacre of innocent Horde elves in Dalaran and the Zandalari king?

Nothing she has done implies for a second that the Horde shouldn't put her out of her misery. She redeemed herself to Kul Tiras, not the Horde.

The thing about this story is with it's twists and surprises it makes more sense to read them in a linear fashion as opposed to time gating crucial elements of it. If the BFA story had been a book or a movie, I'd assume, it would make more sense if you could take it all in at once and the general reception would be a bit more favorable. The storyline itself isn't bad IMO, it's just the execution could use some tweaking.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Even Alliance races (bar humans probably) are sick of having to bow to the "human potential".
    Sadly, the Human Potential disease has spread not only in the Horde, but also among RL players as well. You can see them all around ITT praising the current story, including all of the Anduin shilling. It's like they're LARP'ing a human paladin or something... I personally find it quite odd - even creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I agree the overarching War Campaign is a disappointment but that said, I've really loved a lot of the writing in BfA in the smaller story arcs and characters. Jaina's story was fantastic, I've loved Saurfang and his character development. Drustvar is fantastically interesting and the implications of the Drust. The Blood Trolls, the Loa, Bwomsandi, whatever the fuck was happening in that weird place below Uldir with Ghuun, Derek, Stormsong and the tide sages (everything after that arc made no sense), the Sethrak and the Vulpera were interesting to learn about, the Old God stuff is looking like it might go crazy and be a lot of fun lore wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another "bad writing" post/thread on MMO Champion. Original.

Seems like you've accidentally presented your subjective opinion as a fact, OP. That happens a lot around here.
    Hi

Absolutely nothing wrong with the writing.
    It's a game, that has a good amount of lore in it. I don't expect greatness, I expect to be decently entertained.
    If you get angry over what the story has to offer you, then maybe you should just stop playing, so you don't have to deal with the frustration?

Yeah, I also think the story is a bit awkward sometimes, but then I look at the suggestions at the toxic-champions and I'm happy again it went the way it is.

The wishes for fanservices and bloodthirsty edgelords that say sylvanas is the right way with a straight face is just to cringy.

" I think supporting a mass murderer who laughs at me for supporting him is the right way. Everyone who thinks else can't be right in their mind "
    This is like people in here sound and they aren't even aware of it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the writing.
    It's a game, that has a good amount of lore in it. I don't expect greatness, I expect to be decently entertained.
    If you get angry over what the story has to offer you, then maybe you should just stop playing, so you don't have to deal with the frustration?
    Is this supposed to be another variation of the "if you don't like it, quit" meme?

I expect to be entertained, and the story in BfA with all its inconsistencies, holes and retcons galore doesn't entertain me in the slightest - except in a twisted, "how lower can it fall?" fashion.

Praise the Loa for Classic, for all its flaws, at least the story makes sense. No, it isn't Tolkien level, nor it pretends to be, but it entertains me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    BfA's story is so bad I don't even bother discussing it anymore. What we actually get is a huge disappointment compared to all the elaborate theories fans have been coming up with.
    I was just discussing the theorized expansion plans with a couple friends of mine, and I said to them that they needed to "dumb it down" and "Think marketing, not well crafted story" in order to figure it out.

Sylvanas keeps talking of this mysterious Death God. IS it a new villain? Could we finally see the Azerothian equivalent of the Grim Reaper himself?

Nah, I'm betting it's just Arthas, or at least Arthas is very heavily involved. Why? Because Wrath's name sells, Because bringing back Illidan worked great for promotion in Legion - so rinse and repeat, and WCIII Reforged will be out soon - so it works very well with cross-marketing.

...wait, what's that? What do you mean "Sylvanas and Arthas are bitter enemies!!"? To that I reply "So what?" With the stroke of a pen, Christie can change whatever she wants. "Oh look, temporary truce to rebuild a new Scourge". Or "Surprise surpise... Sylvanas is manipulating Arthas for reasons..."

And it's just generic enough for Blizzard to do it.

I've argued that the forum players here write better stories than Blizz ever will... because Blizzard designs games first. The lore will just wrap around that. This is why there's NO point in making the faction war the focus of the story, because mechanically it can't end game-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Is this supposed to be another variation of the "if you don't like it, quit" meme?

I expect to be entertained, and the story in BfA with all its inconsistencies, holes and retcons galore doesn't entertain me in the slightest - except in a twisted, "how lower can it fall?" fashion.

Praise the Loa for Classic, for all its flaws, at least the story makes sense. No, it isn't Tolkien level, nor it pretends to be, but it entertains me.
    I mean, yes?
    Why in gods name would you do something, or partake in something that doesn't give you pleasure/entertainment? :P
    I used to play Heroes of Newerth. I quit because I stopped enjoying it.
    It makes sense, no?

Meh, I thought it was kinda good.

I watched a recent Bellular video about the story arc of Sylvanas. It was really interesting and insightful and drew from a variety of references. It really highlighted how poorly Blizzard tells the story "in game" and how those of us (myself included) who don't read any of the novels, the story and personalities can seem inconsistent.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    I mean, yes?
    Why in gods name would you do something, or partake in something that doesn't give you pleasure/entertainment? :P
    I used to play Heroes of Newerth. I quit because I stopped enjoying it.
    It makes sense, no?
    No it doesn't, since you can like parts of a game and criticize others. Mind blowing revelation, I'm sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I watched a recent Bellular video about the story arc of Sylvanas. It was really interesting and insightful and drew from a variety of references. It really highlighted how poorly Blizzard tells the story "in game" and how those of us (myself included) who don't read any of the novels, the story and personalities can seem inconsistent.
    That's a good point. In-game storytelling should tell you everything you need to know, while the books could provide additional details and general fluff. Not to mention that those books are simply unavailable in countries like mine.