Thread: Bard Concept

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by elesh01 View Post
    Absolutely not, can we please stop with the ridiculous meme ideas? As if the game wasn't in dire straits already.
    Bards have existed in the fantasy genre for literal decades.

The word "meme" has lost all meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    The word "meme" has basically become a meme, itself.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Bards have existed in the fantasy genre for literal decades.

Bards will be even easier to implement now if they continue the "new classes get 2 specs" thing like with Demon Hunters. All it would need is a musical healer that inspires their allies and a dps using dirges to assault their foes.

rogue is messed up as it is id rather not change anything about rogues. prefer the rogue subtlety spec gets revamped back to wod performance.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Ninja View Post
    rogue is messed up as it is id rather not change anything about rogues. prefer the rogue subtlety spec gets revamped back to wod performance.
    This thread has nothing to do with rogues, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to post that...
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Bard in wow??? what about the lore??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    What about it? How does the addition of playable bards hurt the lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    There are technically Bards in the lore, but it would definitely be out of place for them to come out now. If we had an expansion where there was true peace and we simply went on "adventures" or something like that instead of some big bad guy we chase, they could fit that theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    There are technically Bards in the lore, but it would definitely be out of place for them to come out now. If we had an expansion where there was true peace and we simply went on "adventures" or something like that instead of some big bad guy we chase, they could fit that theme.
    True, as big as an advocate I am for Bards, currently where we are in the story, it wouldn't fit the Undead/Void Lords stories we have forthcoming. The last time they would have made sense was Mists of Pandaria since we had so many Lorewalkers. Even the Mistweaver Monk spec is subtly reminiscent of what a Bard healer class might look like in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I've seen a lot of Necromancer, Dragonsworn, Tinker and Dark Ranger concept threads, but not many in the way of Bard, so I decided to create my own!

BARD CONCEPT FOR WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Armor Type: Mail
    Roles: Axe Jammer (Tank), Flutist (Healer) & Cellist (Damage)
    Races: (A) Humans, Dwarves, Void Elves, Worgen & Gnomes. (H) Orcs, Blood Elves, Undead, Tauren & Goblins.
    Lore: Bards are Azeroth's best kept secret. Previously simple music makers dwelling in Silverpine and Elwynn Forests, they've entertained Eastern Kingdom's highest social circles for centuries with beautiful melodies, and especially rocked out every hour on the hour in the Darkmoon Faire. With the looming threat of Helya and Yrel's Holy Crusade sweeping across the kingdoms, and falls of Stormwind and Thunder Bluff, the music makers of Azeroth have decided to take up arms with their untapped, deadly music to battle the forces that look to eradicate all music, art and culture from Azeroth. They are the music makers, and they are the dreamers of dreams. They are The Bards.

SPECIALIZATIONS

AXE JAMMER (TANK)

A savage guitarist, Bards who choose to walk the line of Axe-Jammer will pick up their axe, equipped like guitars from hell to unleash deafening riffs that will shatter enemy's hearing eardrums to mitigate incoming damage to themselves as well as their party. The Axe-Jammer axes will be an axe/guitar hybrid that serves as both a weapon for parrying as well as one for unleashing sound waves that target the enemies in a frontal cone. The Axe Jammer will also rely on a Musical Note System where abilities grant "Notes" for full battle optimization, represented as a musical note bar under HP bar.

ABILITIES:

Axe & Smash: Swing your axe, dealing melee damage. Grants 1 Note, up to 5 Notes.
    Dance Challenge: Bust a move, /dancing for 5 seconds while swinging axe erratically, reducing damage by 30% and dealing damage to confused targets within radius. Grants 2 Notes. 20 second cooldown.
    Axe Block: Raise your axe, using the handle to block incoming melee damage, up to 20%. Requires 1 Note.
    I AM MURLOC Unleash a guitar riff, summoning a swarm of Murlocs that will taunt all targets and deal damage for 6 seconds. 3 minute cooldown. Requires 4 Notes.
    Guitar Solo: Blast your enemy's ear drums, up to 5 targets, stunning them for 3 seconds and decreasing damage they deal. 40 second cooldown. Requires 3 Notes.
    Mosh Pit: Removes all movement-impairing effects and increases movement speed by 50% for the bard's entire party. Lasts 10 seconds. Does not stack with other movement-speed-increasing effects.
    Acid Trip: Drink from a secret vial, becoming berserk and immune to all damage for 6 seconds. 3 minute cooldown. Requires 5 Notes.
    Crowd Surf: Play a rocking song to enthrall the minds of your enemy targets, forcing a mob of 3 or more enemies to pick you up and surf you to safety. Effect only lasts 6 seconds.
    Nonconformity: Dispels fear, mind control, and similar effects.
    KISS: Interrupts spell casting. 1 minute cooldown.
    Rock'N Roll: The Bard sticks his tongue out, plays his axe and rolls forward 10 yards, increasing his run speed by 50% for 3 seconds. 2 minute cooldown.

FLUTIST (HEALER)

A serene but often aggressive flute player, Flutist Healers do not physically rejuvenate others and themselves, but instead rely on soothing melodies to heal the soul and spirit, helping party members and friendly targets ignore the pain and damage with lifting music that transcends corporal existence. They carry with them wand flute/wand hybrids, allowing them to channel arcane magic to intercept enemy attacks to spare party members damage.

Soothing Melody Play a soothing melody with your flute (wand), healing the target. 3 second cast. Grants 1 Note.
    Soloist: Play a beautiful melody, healing yourself for 40% health. Requires 4 notes. 3 minute cooldown. Instant cast.
    Sure Shot: Fire a sound wave at the target. If friendly, heal the target and if an enemy, deal damage.
    Got A Copper?: Distract the target with a beautiful melody, allowing you to pick pocket while they are entranced.
    Circular Barrier: The Bard uses his flute to draw an imaginary circle, which becomes a physical shield able to protect him from attacks for up to 5 seconds. 1 minute cooldown. Requires 1 Note.
    Sound Waves: The Bard moves his arm in a sword-like fashion and releases powerful sound waves that are able to knock down his opponents and stun them for 3 seconds. Requires 2 Notes.
    Dead End Symphony: The Bard plays a song on his flute, which stuns the target for 4 seconds. The music directly resonates within the opponent's brain, applying damage over time for up to 5 seconds. Talent point ability. Requires 5 Notes.
    Dead End Climax: Once The Bard reaches the climax of his song, the music he plays will damage the target for 5% of their health, unleashing a melody that heals the party. Requires Dead End Sympthony. Requires 4 Notes.

CELLIST (DAMAGE)

A slash and play melee/ranged damage combo spec; Cellists keep to themselves and deal damage from afar with soothing melodies that disable the opponent's combat expectations, and then kick it up a notch with some deeper Earth-shaking rhythms. They also dual wield a sword and Cello.

Shred: Stab the enemy target. Grants 1 Note.
    Soloist: The Bard plays a tune, dealing ranged damage. Grants 2 Notes. 30 second cooldown.
    Stick And Move: The Bard hurls his Cello stick at the enemy target, dealing ranged damage. Grants 1 note. 10 second cooldown.
    Blue Blade: /Cry, causing the Bard to weep before smashing his Cello over the enemy target's head and stabbing them. Must be within melee range. Grants 3 Notes. 1 minute cooldown.
    Death Trip Serenade: Without his Cello, the Bard pulls out a Harp and plays a beautiful theme that does damage over time on the enemy, until the song intensifies, dealing 5% damage to the target.
    Stringer Fine: The Bard unleashes magical strings from his harp, ensnaring the enemy target and squeezing with razor sharp strings, dealing 5% damage. Requires 4 Notes. Requires Death Trip Serenade.
    String Quartet: Increases damage done of up to 3 party members by 20% for 20 seconds. 6 minute cooldown. Requires 5 Notes.
    Apocalyptico: The Bard plays the deepest notes on his Cello, dealing % ranged damage. Requires 5 Notes.

(Notes: I would have used icons, but I typed this at work in between work, and it was hard linking images. Plus, the only icon I regret not linking is the Murloc icon for I Am Murloc. Most WoW icons wouldn't do the abilities justice anyway as WoW doesn't have many musical instrument icons other than the flute off the top of my head. I got some inspiration from https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Bard and other fictional mediums that have portrayed music as a weapon like the Saint Seiya anime, particularly the Flutist spec.)
    Create your own huh? You mean just straight up use the blizzard 2008 april fools joke? https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bard_(April_Fools)
    Last edited by Skalm; 2019-10-09 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Create your own huh? You mean just straight up use the blizzard 2008 april fools joke? https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bard_(April_Fools)
    You mean with all TEN abilities and no discernible specs or combat system?

I want Bard as a profession, not a class. Let me play inns across Azeroth in my off-time for a sweet title!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    True, as big as an advocate I am for Bards, currently where we are in the story, it wouldn't fit the Undead/Void Lords stories we have forthcoming. The last time they would have made sense was Mists of Pandaria since we had so many Lorewalkers. Even the Mistweaver Monk spec is subtly reminiscent of what a Bard healer class might look like in WoW.
    What if we need some people to bolster our morals, no matter which faction our characters belong to? It's not like both factions are heavily demoralised by now. It's even true for some players who are disillusioned with the lore, so... would even be a bit of meta-gaming here.

I'd prefer to have a 2 spec class, one dps and one healing, with mail armour because we have the least number of classes proficient with this. Could also be another class to add BL/H to the group.

Give them bows as weapons, and whenever they cast a channeled / non-instant spell, the bow would take on the appearance of a lute, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    I see many fun ideas ! I especially like the Stringer Fine, Got a Copper and the references of the Axe Slammer abilities xD

The Note resource is also pretty cool, even if quite standard. But I would have handled some skills differently, making the Mosh pit an area of effect confusion spell, where mobs beat each other up and making Crowd Surfing a grip for enemies and allies !

I remember thinking about a Bard class a long time ago. I also thought about a Tank/DPS/Heal design :
    A support / healer role using a mandolin, this one looked a lot like your healer but with special abilities inspired from legends like the Pied Piper.
    A rocker Bard using a guitar for ranged DPS. Mostly shreds, riffs and the likes to confuse, stun and deal splash damages to the enemy !
    And a metal Bard tanking on melee. This one would be more of the punk fantasy, diving into the mosh pit to brawl and having abilities like Circle Pit or Wall of Death.
    I love the idea of the Pied Piper... could summon a swarm of rats or other animals to attack ennemies...

Also could get something like "calls" of different elements... as an inspiration for Call of the Storm, you can view The Storm by Havasi feat. Lisa Gerrald on Youtube :-)

Could also get a way to somehow manipulate vocal cords of opponents and mute them...

And something to do with Rhythm / Tempo that would hasten the DPS of allies / slow the DPS of ennemies...

Summon Orchestra (or string quartet) - a swarm of strings hold opponents in place...

Could even bring in the idea of pipe organ / phantom of the opera and summon the dead to dance and attack ennemies!

Main skill: Lala of death.

The bard sings a cacophony of terror sounds, and targets gain damage from brain aneurysms.
    Last edited by shaggawoolin; 2020-01-07 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OperaG View Post
    I love the idea of the Pied Piper... could summon a swarm of rats or other animals to attack ennemies...

Also could get something like "calls" of different elements... as an inspiration for Call of the Storm, you can view The Storm by Havasi feat. Lisa Gerrald on Youtube :-)

Could also get a way to somehow manipulate vocal cords of opponents and mute them...

And something to do with Rhythm / Tempo that would hasten the DPS of allies / slow the DPS of ennemies...

Summon Orchestra (or string quartet) - a swarm of strings hold opponents in place...

Could even bring in the idea of pipe organ / phantom of the opera and summon the dead to dance and attack ennemies!
    Hey, this is actually a very neat concept and I would love to see more on this.

nop bards,ty.

bards are great in D&D but in most games that have them they are support classes not full healers or dpsers, mostly just rogues that play music to buff everyone else. like if you're making a D&D party you don't expect the bard to tank or do huge damage, but you do expect them to buff the rest of the party and perhaps debuff the enemy or CC. and take care of rogue tasks like lock picking. I'd expect them to be leather wearers because it fits better you don't often see musicians in chainmail the clinking of the mail rattling around would be a distraction over the music, but a leather tunic wouldn't be out of place.

if they ever decide to expand the holy trinity to include support, then bards should definitely be one type of support class.

I dunno about the idea of adding them into the game like any other class and just having more of the same, homogenization has already made class choice largely irrelevant as everyone is pretty much the same. if they are going to create more classes then have them bring something unique. they could also be another class that uses bows and ranged weapons, or like rogues, go melee and use daggers. but the core idea of a bard to me is the guy standing at the back playing music to make the rest of the party better (morale), and the enemy weaker.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-01-08 at 08:09 PM.

Elemental calls, even Symphonies of Elements to call upon a variety of effects. Really sound like ultimate spells, things that could buff your allies AND affect your enemies with damage and such.

Yes, of course ! I know you talked about manipulating the voice of the target, but that makes me think of the more "social" abilities of the DnD Bards who can trash talk people and humiliate them to death. I would love to silence, fear or even stun someone with that kind of ability xD

But why not bring a whole enchanted orchestra of instruments ? Make an aoe of confusion and damage !

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    bards are great in D&D but in most games that have them they are support classes not full healers or dpsers, mostly just rogues that play music to buff everyone else. like if you're making a D&D party you don't expect the bard to tank or do huge damage, but you do expect them to buff the rest of the party and perhaps debuff the enemy or CC. and take care of rogue tasks like lock picking. I'd expect them to be leather wearers because it fits better you don't often see musicians in chainmail the clinking of the mail rattling around would be a distraction over the music, but a leather tunic wouldn't be out of place.

if they ever decide to expand the holy trinity to include support, then bards should definitely be one type of support class.

I dunno about the idea of adding them into the game like any other class and just having more of the same, homogenization has already made class choice largely irrelevant as everyone is pretty much the same. if they are going to create more classes then have them bring something unique. they could also be another class that uses bows and ranged weapons, or like rogues, go melee and use daggers. but the core idea of a bard to me is the guy standing at the back playing music to make the rest of the party better (morale), and the enemy weaker.
    Of course it's wishful thinking at best, and just a fun outlet at worst. But we must also not forget that the DnD bard was based on a charisma class. So their role was also to be the ones to speak with the npc and convince them to get along with the party's shenanigans ! That aspect is hard to make on a mmo, so it would be a loss to the archetype, I guess !

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMon View Post
    Bards would be ridiculous in WoW. They don’t fit anywhere and have never been a thing.

Sorry.
    You never heard of the Elite Tauren Chieftain?