How much mana should a Priest have before raiding?

So I followed some BiS lists and since they prioritize spell power and healing over everything else, I'm now left with so little intellect that I don't even have 5k mana anymore (4531 unbuffed, 4996 with int buff). A lot of the pieces also don't have spirit or mp5, so I don't have that much regen as well. Now it feels like I can only cast a few heals (which are pretty strong due to +healing), but then that's it.

It honestly felt a LOT better just stacking spirit and int. I feel a lot weaker now than before gearing up. So, what should I do now?
    Last edited by Masternap; 2019-10-08 at 06:46 PM.

I am not maining a priest but one thing that is also key is casting lower ranks of spells instead of the highest rank. The lower ranked spells use less mana.

5k is likely fine, its not so much the individual priest that matters but the whole group, when you have druids innervating you its all good, if you wanna min/max just pop mana pots on cd, its likely not required but if ppl want to go the extra mile it all helps.

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#bxghsVVooftzcf

has a bigger mana pool than something like This, disc I found with the use of innerfocus, plus the 10% more mana better than holy for raiding, if mana is the problem for you, go disc. always nice to have a balance between raw int, + healing and Mp5. for raiding, when you have 10-12 healers, you don't really need huge heals you just need endurance and to not randomly die. you have quite a bit of overlap with that many ppl healing.

essentially the choice between disc and holy is choosing, 10% more mana over 10% more healing. if you use your mana effectively, I think it tends to be more beneficial to choose more mana over more healing, raw healing you have in spades with the number of healers you bring, you can never really have enough endurance, especially on progression when the fights take maximum time. I think good priests can get much more out of having a bigger mana pool than they can out of just having bigger base heals. you can stretch that mana further than you can the extra healing power. not to mention every 10 int = 110 mana.

if you're alliance you can get palas to judge wisdom and wand to get mana back.
    if you're horde, you should be in a group with a shaman for mana tide.

if neither of these is good enough then just ask a druid to innervate you. there are ways to keep things going, max mana only really improves with gear t1/t2 etc etc. as it has more main stats, the only way to get more int past dungeon BiS.

diremaul comes out soon, I would totally advise all priests to get your seal of eldre'thalas from there, its likely the best trinket you'll get until you combine it with the rejuvenation gem from bwl. there is also the mindtap talismen from dm west 11 mp5. dire maul has some decent healer pieces the priest seal is probably one of if not the best one.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-10-09 at 11:31 AM.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Fights are so short, you're rarely in combat for more than 1min30s. Also, speccing deep holy is useless. You should spec PI for your casters. With inner focus + 1x major mana potion + 1x dark rune / demonic rune you'll have all the mana you need for bosses when downranking.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wit119o View Post
    I am not maining a priest but one thing that is also key is casting lower ranks of spells instead of the highest rank. The lower ranked spells use less mana.
    Exactly that!

Downranking so you can use the same spell, but with a lower mana cost. The +healing makes up (and more!) for the lower amount of heal, so you can become very mana efficient.

You will eventually get mp5 gear, which will start next week with Dire Maul.

Pre bis lists assume that u come to raid with major manas and dark runes. And that u kill quickly. The worse your raid is the more likely you are to need a higher mana pool and give up some through put

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    Pre bis lists assume that u come to raid with major manas and dark runes. And that u kill quickly. The worse your raid is the more likely you are to need a higher mana pool and give up some through put
    wrong.

the reason you stack +heal is just that you habe to heal less often(=more 5s rule mana)or downreak heavenly.

if at all int is more important in a shorter fight to have a basic manapool and becomes less valuable to spirit/mö5 the longer the fightgoes.

if you are preraid bis your goto heal should be heal r2

Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    wrong.

the reason you stack +heal is just that you habe to heal less often(=more 5s rule mana)or downreak heavenly.

if at all int is more important in a shorter fight to have a basic manapool and becomes less valuable to spirit/mö5 the longer the fightgoes.

I wasnt sure if i could trust this guy, but its right there at the start

wrong.

no the reason you stack plus heal is because you want through put if you need it, and in theory don't need any more mana. Although healing less = more through put so we're really saying teh same thing.

That is all

Hard stat weights don't exist for healers in vanilla raiding.

You get what you perceive to be a safe amount of resources through the encounters then you would give + healing a higher stat weight. And MC/Ony could be done with base mana 12 healers in a decent group. You won't know exactly until you raid. Have to tweak from there depending on your group.

Thanks for that tho, lol.

wrong.

Heal rank 3 is the bread and butter fresh 60 go-to spam heal btw not rank 2, once you get enough +healing you move to rank 4, once you have the T2 bonus you use R1 Greater instead, for downranking Greater heal you use rank 1, 3 and 5 depending on the situation.

The logic of "you stack + heal so you have to heal less" doesn't apply in raids. You heal less based on how good your raid is, the better the raid the less damage everyone takes. If your raid is shit then everyone will be taking extra damage and you won't be able to pause to let the 5 sec rule kick in.

I'd say 100%.

One thing I recommend that makse a world of difference is equipping an Mp5/spirit gear set when you are drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    So I followed some BiS lists and since they prioritize spell power and healing over everything else, I'm now left with so little intellect that I don't even have 5k mana anymore (4531 unbuffed, 4996 with int buff). A lot of the pieces also don't have spirit or mp5, so I don't have that much regen as well. Now it feels like I can only cast a few heals (which are pretty strong due to +healing), but then that's it.

It honestly felt a LOT better just stacking spirit and int. I feel a lot weaker now than before gearing up. So, what should I do now?
    just downrank your spells to heal rank 4 or greater heal rank 1 or 2. whatever heals for 900-1100 is good. you'll never go oom