Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    So.. what you're saying is when something happens, these people will magically pay the fee + fines, but also if they get another dog sign up for the insurance because they've been punished / not get one because they can't afford the $5000 premium?
    No, the idea is you just pay for your insurance premiums. When something goes wrong the insurance pays, but your premiums go up. If you're a repeat offender and the insurance company doesn't want to insure you anymore, that's when the dog is taken away from you.
    Bro, we can't even stop people from getting dogs when they've been legally barred from doing so for animal abuse. What you're saying is firmly in the round of fantasy. People will not pay for the insurance. People will hide their dogs. And when it happens you can go after them for money they don't have and be just as SOL as when uninsured Joe hits you and turns out he's got no insurance and his most valuable property is a pair of pants that don't have holes in it.
    Since this introduces a business, it would be in the businesses best interest to make sure they can insure as many dog owners as they can. If you're hiding your dog then that's your problem. This does give dog owners a benefit, in that they no longer need to take dog incidents into court and defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    No, the idea is you just pay for your insurance premiums. When something goes wrong the insurance pays, but your premiums go up. If you're a repeat offender and the insurance company doesn't want to insure you anymore, that's when the dog is taken away from you.

Since this introduces a business, it would be in the businesses best interest to make sure they can insure as many dog owners as they can. If you're hiding your dog then that's your problem. This does give dog owners a benefit, in that they no longer need to take dog incidents into court and defend themselves.
    Again: we can't even get people to pay for registration, let alone desexing. And somehow they're paying for insurance, and the government has the money and resources to not only enforce this but also take the dogs away from people. Despite not being able to do so for animal abuse.

Statistically Pit Bulls are a danger and they should be eradicated as "domesticated" animals. People like to defend them as the "sweetest angels that wouldn't harm a fly" until the opportunity comes and they kill children. Just eradicate pure breds and do the right thing.

And I guess it’s just coincidence that most owners of pitbull‘s are tough guys, white supremacists, women who want protection, and people who own property they don’t want anyone on.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Statistically Pit Bulls are a danger and they should be eradicated as "domesticated" animals. People like to defend them as the "sweetest angels that wouldn't harm a fly" until the opportunity comes and they kill children. Just eradicate pure breds and do the right thing.
    There is millions and millions of pit breeds out there, now how many of those ever harm anyone? your more likely getting killed by pretty much anything else.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    Pit bulls are not bad dogs innately, there are only shitty owners. Dogs are not fucking cats, they all REQUIRE attention/training or they tend to lean towards their base instincts. If you can't do either then don't get a dog, not just a pit bull.

these fuckers piss me of so much.
    Those two points kinda contradict each other. If they require training to not fall to their basic instincts, in this case "bad". Then they are innately bad.

I'm not saying ban Pitbulls, because you people will cry a river if I did. I'm saying if you want to own a dog of certain size then you should be required to pay for insurance. Dog insurance, but not for the dog itself but any damage or harm it may incur in your care. That way the insurance companies can determine if that particular dog has a history and can raise your premium accordingly. Every so often the dog must be weighed to determine if it's required to be on insurance. That way you have more incentive to make sure your precious dog is never let lose and harming others. Because if your dog does get out and bites someone then your annaul insurance fee goes from $500 to $5000.
    Or the owner could just be charged/fined heavily if their dog does something. I am all for permits and registration of dog ownership, having checks to make sure the animal is in a good environment but that would be very costly and difficult.

Any dangers that bullys pose is shared among any large dog. Shepherds, labs, mastiffs, akitas and so on have the capability to kill an adult human.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Pitbulls are only mentioned when doing ill because they only ever do ill.

All the more reason to get a cat vs a dog. If you get a dog, your family is already at a higher risk from an attack.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#95cc5f362f8b

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I've noticed on our little forum that Pit Bulls are generally only mentioned when done ill yet when something heroic - nothing.
    Riddle me this: what's the loudest noise between the following two?

- Awww!
    - REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

This would explain why the phenomenon you deplore is happening.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see classes changing laziness and stupidity. People are far more proactive when money is involved. You'll pay because it's required by law and you'll get a fine when you don't. If you continue to fail then they'll take the dog away. Dog size makes it fair, instead of going by breed.
    Having to pay for your doing being “large” would be a load of shit. My newfi is over 140 but is harmless compared to any given smaller dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Statistically they are not a danger as there are millions of the damn things and only a few 100 deaths over the course of years and they don’t tend to lead in attacks/bites,

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think they're ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Having to pay for your doing being “large” would be a load of shit. My newfi is over 140 but is harmless compared to any given smaller dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Statistically they are not a danger as there are millions of the damn things and only a few 100 deaths over the course of years and they don’t tend to lead in attacks/bites,
    I don't care if the percentage of those who attack or kill is low out of all pit bulls in existence, I care that they are the ones doing the most attacks/kills.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if the percentage of those who attack or kill is low out of all pit bulls in existence, I care that they are the ones doing the most attacks/kills.
    So you don’t care about stats unless they agree with you?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hey all!

I've noticed on our little forum that Pit Bulls are generally only mentioned when done ill yet when something heroic - nothing. Can't really brand all of certain breeds as bad like so do when we see things like this breaking the pattern, can we?

I know it is all, "It can happen anytime" - yeah but so can the dog saving someone..
    There are quite a few people here that got suckered by bad reporting which involves a lot of bad statistics.

Media just loves to report on anything controversial...more shocking things create more clicks or more subscriptions, and the vast majority of journalists aren't very good at their job, so they'll just report what they are told like a brain-dead parrot.

The reality is that pitbulls are no more dangerous than any other "breed". Breed is in quotations because there isn't actually a pit bull breed. A pit bull is a collection of one of several breeds (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and sometimes American Bulldog) plus any dog that "looks" like one (this is a big problem as animals shelters regularly label many dogs as pit bulls when genetically they are not (overall, shelters are only accurate with breed designations about 2/3 of the time according to studies)).

Also in several cases, the report of a pit bull attacking someone turns out to not be a pit bull at all. The reporter simply assumed as much, so it gets included in many of those statistics people like to quote (which means the actual numbers are lower anyways).

Now, the central problem with the statistics that get used is that they are used incorrectly. According to the statistics, pit bulls are responsible for anywhere from 60% to 80% of people being killed by dogs. This is then leveraged as evidence that the entire "breed" is dangerous.

However, when you look at the entire context, the concept of this "breed" being dangerous is laughable.

There were 36 deaths in 2018 due to dog bites (26 of them or 72% that year for the pit bull "breed"). However, there are approximately 8 million pit bulls in the US. So, 0.000325% of the pit bulls are deadly...how is that a "breed" problem? It isn't, and it's laughable that it gets argued that way.

And, again, that is accepting the identification accuracy as being 100% (we know it's not) for a "breed" that isn't actually a breed (actually 4 to 5 breeds and any mixed breed that has one of those breeds in them).

The reality is that dogs are highly domesticated animals that are extremely safe to have around regardless of breed, and that things are going to happen sometimes depending on upbringing and other factors that usually get brushed off because somebody wants to make a point that the actual evidence doesn't support.

This I always tell people that but they only care about those very very very few times where it does happen.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-10-09 at 02:50 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Except for the fact that little dogs can jump, and tend to be more poorly trained in general when accounting for the same "type" of owners because they think its cute. JRTs, for example, are high on the temperment fail test and those fuckers can jump over a human because they're not actually animal, they're sentient spring.
    No, no. JRT's are Satan's "alright, you get one" during Creation. They're abominable little hellspawns and I have never hated anything that draws breath like I hate my mother's. But hE's So CuTe ThOuGh.

I'm telling you. It might make me a bad person. But the dog has seizures, and every time he has one, I think "do it right this time, you little shit."

Having now established myself as the resident asshole, our pit's a total sweetie. Bit of a coward though...can't stand being near the washing machine, thunder, engines revving...has a weird phobia of walking on hardwood floor too. If she mauls you, it's a Darwin award.

So you don’t care about stats unless they agree with you?
    I don't care about irrelevant stats. Pit Bulls and crosses make up the highest percentage of attacks against humans, while the overall number of those who do attack might be a small percentage of all Pit Bulls and crosses in existence, the number that do is still significant enough to warrant action.

I've yet to see someone from the pitbills are evil crowd post any stats that aren't stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    No, no. JRT's are Satan's "alright, you get one" during Creation. They're abominable little hellspawns and I have never hated anything that draws breath like I hate my mother's. But hE's So CuTe ThOuGh.

I'm telling you. It might make me a bad person. But the dog has seizures, and every time he has one, I think "do it right this time, you little shit."

Having now established myself as the resident asshole, our pit's a total sweetie. Bit of a coward though...can't stand being near the washing machine, thunder, engines revving...has a weird phobia of walking on hardwood floor too. If she mauls you, it's a Darwin award.
    That Jack Russell guy really must've been a dick.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about irrelevant stats. Pit Bulls and crosses make up the highest percentage of attacks against humans, while the overall number of those who do attack might be a small percentage of all Pit Bulls and crosses in existence, the number that do is still significant enough to warrant action.
    When your under 1% your not in the significant category.