Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I guess they sent an army on those boats that got sunk on Nazjatar.

Ultimately, speculating about the size of Azeroth’s armies is pointless because it changes to suit the plot. Next expansion both the Alliance and Horde will have a booming army with a strong economy to fight the bigbad.

10+ Year Old Account
    They lost a big ass fleet when chasing nathanos across the ocean before azehara parted the sea and caused then all to crash

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the Warfronts are canonical to the Wars losses as the constant supply of troops to the tug of war over two zones cost them enough soldiers to affect the War Campaign. Either that or Anduin was being purposely deceptive to withhold troops from assisting the rebels in case Sadfang's gambit didn't play out in their favour.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

You guys are also forgetting the losses during Legion, which was mostly an alliance expansion. Sure we both lost a lot during the Broken Shore initial battle, but after that losses were a lot more significant on the alliance side all the way up to argus. And the battle of dazar’alor was a success in terms of fulfillment, in which they were able to assault the castle and take the king, but their losses on nazmir were huge, very unlike a common alliance strategy. A very costly feint, thats for sure. Remember Nazmir was still very much blood troll land still, so they were fighting the horde AND the blood trolls. We on the other hand did not have to commit an army for an assault of that size in kultiras, where we employ mostly hit and run, iron stars that roll around killing everything on their path, remote bombs and so on.

blizzards shit story telling. no other answer matters.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Right before Azshara, the Alliance were crushing it and were weeks from winning the war.

During the setup for Siege of Orgrimmar 2.0, Anduin says it's their last troops.

Am I missing something? What happened?
    Did the battle against Azshara dwindle all their numbers or what?
    Did you not notice the massive fleet that was consumed by the reveal of Nazjatar? The Alliance played all cards in hope that those three ships contained Sylvanas and information of her scheme. Instead, it had her doll and the dagger - which by the way has gone missing.

As well, the Night Elves and a good chunk of Worgen does not wish to partake on most, and aims for Darkshore, and other forces for Arathi.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I love how everyone is claiming the Alliance was always the underdog in BfA and never had a chance to win the war because Anduin was left to conscript farmers:

The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

If we learned anything from Teldrassil it's that there are no simple magical methods to move large quantities of people across the world. Also, many regiments were tied to warfronts around Azeroth; vacating those would've left them open for Sylvanas's forces on site. So the forces at the gates of Orgrimmar could just have been what was available. Sylvanas on the other hand would've had Orgrimmar's regular guard as well as whatever is normal for wartime defensive preparations, plus the defending side of a fortress can do with fewer numbers than the attacking side due to their advantage in position.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

5+ Year Old Account
    Their strongest bulk forces were wasted, their specialty forces are hard to replenish, and some races barely had enough to offer in the first place.

Although it doesn't make up for the flip flopping, it is understandable why they would be reasonably spent.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
    I love how everyone is claiming the Alliance was always the underdog in BfA and never had a chance to win the war because Anduin was left to conscript farmers:

And...? Did you even play this raid? BoDA was a surgical strike that cost immense resources to pull off, including the life of a vanishingly rare Lightforged Monk, and despite these sacrifices, we didn't even really manage to kill Rastakhan on our own. He died because he overdosed on death magic and burned out his body. Then we ran away when we heard the Horde coming up the elevator, and got our proverbial butts handed to us while fleeing. A weak and pathetic showing, all told.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    And...? Did you even play this raid? BoDA was a surgical strike that cost immense resources to pull off, including the life of a vanishingly rare Lightforged Monk, and despite these sacrifices, we didn't even really manage to kill Rastakhan on our own. He died because he overdosed on death magic and burned out his body. Then we ran away when we heard the Horde coming up the elevator, and got our proverbial butts handed to us while fleeing. A weak and pathetic showing, all told.
    ................ Did you even watch the video? The Warchief's second-in-command literally says victory is within the Alliance's grasp.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Maybe Alliance military tactics consist of trying to drown the Horde in Alliance soldier's blood or something.
    The Anduin doctrin of the Alliance Military punishes every Alliance Soldier who commits the war crime of hurting an Horde Soldier physically or emotionally either in our out of combat with the death sentence.

That was what happened at Nazjatar, wasn't it? Only a few Horde ships being hunted by almost the entire army and fleet of the alliance, so Nathanos could lead them all into the trap and they'd get crushed. So, Horde lost a few ships and a few troops, but the alliance lost half of their remaining army and even more of their Navy.
    Obviously the plan was also to get rid of all of the heroes, Horde and Alliance alike, but that didn't work out.

Brewfest is a hell of a party.

Isn't it just a token force put together by Anduin to assist Saurfang outside of official Alliance business? It's not a representation of the official Alliance military.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
    The Anduin doctrin of the Alliance Military punishes every Alliance Soldier who commits the war crime of hurting an Horde Soldier physically or emotionally either in our out of combat with the death sentence.
    "We don't win by killing those we hate, but by defending those we love"
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Alliance already had to resort to conscripting peasants for their offensive in 8.1. So even if they were winning at that point, they were bound to lose steam rather quickly. Especially with Alliance deciding not to press an advantage because Trolls would be sad if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Those 6 boats chasing the Horde? Yeah I did notice them.
    Ever heard of game scale? The entirety of Orcs of New Horde fled Eastern Kingdoms on like three ships in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Isn't it just a token force put together by Anduin to assist Saurfang outside of official Alliance business? It's not a representation of the official Alliance military.
    Anduin outright told Saurfang that he has enough troops for that last push on Orgrimmar. And as stated by multiple people after the Mak'gora, Sylvanas' forces far surpassed the Alliance and the traitors to the Horde combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    "We don't win by killing those we hate, but by defending those we love"
    Given by their praise for last season of GoT, chances are Last Jedi also served as an inspiration for BfA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    They lost a lot at Lordaeron, they lost a lot at Dazar'alor because the Horde managed to fight back sooner than they anticipated and they lost even more at Nazjatar. What is really wierd is that the Horde still had enough troops to both launch a resistance AND fortify Orgrimmar despite the fact that we were told that the Horde was loosing all over.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They lost a lot at Lordaeron, they lost a lot at Dazar'alor because the Horde managed to fight back sooner than they anticipated and they lost even more at Nazjatar. What is really wierd is that the Horde still had enough troops to both launch a resistance AND fortify Orgrimmar despite the fact that we were told that the Horde was loosing all over.
    With Alliance's usual ineptitude *cough* "pushing an advantage would make us no better than Sylvanas" *cough* and the likely questionable performance of their peasant army I guess the Horde got some breathing room after Dazar'alor and managed to regroup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Yeah I don't really know what issue you're taking here man, the Sadfang cinematic where he gets released and they talk about how the Alliance forces are depleted came before all Dazar'alor. If you're going to try to snipe at least try not to be shit at it.
    This is your quote.
    "Nah the Alliance just up and somehow lost most of their forces somewhere off screen before Dazar'alor. The writers weren't concerned with a consistent war story, they just wanted a cheap framing device to show their character dramas against."

Can you somehow explain your argument that the Alliance "lost most of their forces before Dazar'alor" when it was repeatedly stated ingame that the Alliance were in a position to win the war in weeks after Dazar'alor? Cause right now you're just bashing on the writers while it looks to me you don't even know what was going on.