Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Still looking at where we are now i dont see it ever happening.
    It doesn't matter what you see. Is a future vision possible or impossible? If it's possible then the point of life is to figure out how to get there.

And no fear mongering how can you fear what you care nothing about or does not affect you,
    What is wrong with you? Always support team humanity.

maby our future generations though are fucked.
    Or not, think of each generation like a level in an endless Mario game. The great thing about levels is that levels can be beaten!

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It doesn't matter what you see. Is a future vision possible or impossible? If it's possible then the point of life is to figure out how to get there.

What is wrong with you? Always support team humanity.

Or not, think of each generation like a level in an endless Mario game. The great thing about levels is that levels can be beaten!
    Team humanity? when have we ever been united as a human race? as i said there have always been wars and conflicts somewhere and no world peace for more then i think it's 3-7% of our entire history. Does not look good there.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    Team humanity? when have we ever been united as a human race? as i said there have always been wars and conflicts somewhere and no world peace for more then i think it's 3-7% of our entire history. Does not look good there.
    Do NOT predict future things from the past. Whoever said history is bound to repeat itself is an idiot. (See avatar)

Do NOT predict future things from the past. Whoever said history is bound to repeat itself is an idiot. (See avatar)
    I hope your right for the sake of team humanity.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope your right for the sake of team humanity.
    No need for hope. People have free will. It's really not that hard to choose peace over violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Growth is already low in the West, can't "slice" it without stagnation or a shrinking economy. We can't get to the stars without growing.
    We can't grow without mending.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    We can't grow without mending.
    Growth is mending + a surplus. So sure, mend away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Growth is mending + a surplus. So sure, mend away.
    But we cannot mend it right if we cannot halt what is slowing the mending.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I am aware and this is what I meant by eventual floodgates opening. And by the way, this is a reported case, you can only imagine how many unreported ones go under the radar there. And yes, I am pretty sure China (and who knows who else) conduct human experiments in the field for some time now. This case is just the one that slipped through the cracks.

Right now the world is a bit bogged down by ethics and what not, but at some point in will be widespread enough in rogue or shady states to the point where Western world will realize that you can't really stop this and embrace this as well with some regulation that will be lightened up as we go.

It's not utopia, it's a real thing and in next decade you will see even more reported cases of this to the point where people will start looking for treatments there, that's when the gates will open.
    Oh I'm not denying it, I'm just saying that we're probably not going to be indestructible superhumans in the next few years from what we know now. Every gene has a benefit and a drawback.

Personally I would like to see biohackers continue with their thing, private industry will drive gene editing forward imo.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has already happened many times. The US was victorious over tyranny in 1783 and man has been in space for decades now.

And no, mankind is not going to eliminate evil.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Seems like a waste of effort, if we have the technology to make ships that can sustain life and move it between stars we might as well just make them not move and stay in the solar system.
    Same problem: The solar system will be uninhabitable in a few billion years. There are places where human civilization could survive much longer (theoretically! red/white dwarfs or even black holes could be "safer").

Also i never claimed this generation ships would have unlimited resources to sustain life. That would be kind of a waste.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2019-10-09 at 12:13 PM.

Our destiny Is to be Wiped out by a cosmic event, accept it, and try to make the time we have better for our selves and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Same problem: The solar system will be uninhabitable in a few billion years. There are places where human civilization could survive much longer (theoretically! red/white dwarfs or even black holes could be "safer")
    Our sun will (probably) become a red giant then a white dwarf so we have billions of years to figure out how to survive the transition then we can stick around for trillions more, we just might end up having to move to the outer reaches of the heliosphere for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Same problem: The solar system will be uninhabitable in a few billion years. There are places where human civilization could survive much longer (theoretically! red/white dwarfs or even black holes could be "safer").

Also i never claimed this generation ships would have unlimited resources to sustain life. That would be kind of a waste.
    If we have the ability,

When the sun begins expanding we First move to Ganymede, it's the only place further out that has a magnetosphere and will for 's time be in the habitable zone of the sun as it grows, this would only be a temporary hop as soon even ganymede will be to hot, the next step is pluto, but at the maximum extent of the sun as a red giant, pluto will also become to hot, as such our options are eris, makemake or ceres as homes during the red giant period, when the sun enters its white dwarf period and begins to shrink we will need to start hopping closer again, by this time though I'd imagine places like gaymede will have had there magnetosphere blasted to bits by the ejections from the sun as a red giant, so we will need artifical methods of radiaton shielding, probly need them befor that any way as its unsure if dwarf planets at pluto+ have any form of magnetosphere. After this it's life on space stations as we would need to be so close to the whitedwarf as it has only 1% of the luminosity of our current star, up side is we get to ring in the new year every 9hrs.

This is all assuming we develop enough to planet hop and don't find a way to get to a new star.

Also assumes no mass extinction events such asteroid, super volcano, massive irradiation from a near by super nova, roaming black hole shenanigans, big rip e.t.c

Its also assuming we arn't ejected into the void when big boy Andromeda punches our galaxy in the throat and takes its lunch money in 4 billion years.

Eventualy if we make it to the end, we need to find a black hole to orbit, like there are many black holes with captured planets orbiting them in stable orbits that are warmed dued to thermodynamics and differentials, these come with huge challenges though due to radiation but it's possible that we could live out trillions and trillions and trillions of years in such a state, most of the universes life time will be spent as black holes orbiting black holes but eventualy even that will end and there's no way of serving the end of the black hole period.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-10-09 at 12:53 PM.

i think andromeda will collide with the milky way before our sun novas, still that's 4.5b years away, plenty of time

Dude we get it. You like mass effect and cheerleaders. The biggest question is: what's the download speed on Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I knew who started this thread the exact second I read the title.
    Back on form, to be fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

We will have destroyed ourselves looooong before we will have the capacity to reach other stars.

Naw.

Our planet will kill us off sooner than that.

Best we can do is to send an arch into outer space where hundreds of generations will be born and die before they reach the next star with habitable planets.

I have this idea (more like a feeling) that in general our technological progress will not keep going faster and faster.... I think our advancements will eventually stall or come to a halt in every possible area of technology, because it will get harder and harder or simply impossible to make new progress, break new limits, etc. I think in fact that we may overestimate our future ability to travel the stars, colonize worlds, etc.