Considering Pally Tanking till Cap

What's prompting this crazy idea is I received a random whisper from a mage asking if I wanted to tank Uldaman. I've played vanilla from day 1 and know my niche is healing, but this random whisper prompted me to think...why the hell not. I level with a holy priest and I run around ret tanking anyway so I figured I'd give it a try. Now, I'm not looking for whether or not I'm respectable in thinking I can do this...I lived it for years, so I'm going rogue.

The only question I have for the community is: two-handed or 1 hand shield tank?

I don't have a 1 hander at the moment, and I can save more talent options going the 2 handed route; but, the paladin tanking tree is so heavy in shield use that I feel like I'm forced there. But I see the likes of warriors 2 handed tanking - probably because of defensive stance. Anyway, wanted your thoughts.

Possible 2-Handed tank talent options
    Possible 1-handed + Shield tank talent options
    Last edited by Erous; 2019-10-09 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    What's prompting this crazy idea is I received a random whisper from a mage asking if I wanted to tank Uldaman. I've played vanilla from day 1 and know my niche is healing, but this random whisper prompted me to think...why the hell not. I level with a holy priest and I run around ret tanking anyway so I figured I'd give it a try. Now, I'm not looking for whether or not I'm respectable in thinking I can do this...I lived it for years, so I'm going rogue.

The only question I have for the community is: two-handed or 1 hand shield tank?

I don't have a 1 hander at the moment, and I can save more talent options going the 2 handed route; but, the paladin tanking tree is so heavy in shield use that I feel like I'm forced there. But I see the likes of warriors 2 handed tanking - probably because of defensive stance. Anyway, wanted your thoughts.

1+shield if you are with random people and underlveled compared to the dungeon.
    2hand if you are with friends or overly higher level than most mobs in the dungeon.

There is a whole 2hand tanking spec for raid but I don't think you are ready for that just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    1+shield if you are with random people and underlveled compared to the dungeon.
    2hand if you are with friends or overly higher level than most mobs in the dungeon.

There is a whole 2hand tanking spec for raid but I don't think you are ready for that just yet
    Completely agree on the not ready for raid aspect. Not even planning on it. Highest I could potentially go with this is UBRS.

Completely agree on the not ready for raid aspect. Not even planning on it. Highest I could potentially go with this is UBRS.
    It's important to remember you can always switch while in combat between 1h and 2h. I'd suggest https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-c...0335001551-052 since you can both tank and level solo.

Here is your warning: Leveled with and dungeon'd with a Protection paladin

Higher level dungeons become an issue. This will start in BRD, but it's not a big issue here. Any dungeon pass BRD becomes tedious for paladin tank.
    Mobs in various dungeons have aggro resets or CC(the tank especially) and you cannot re-aggro mobs as a paladin. As you do not have taunt. If you have an offtank, sure.
    But these mobs will kill other people in your party.

You blow your whole mana bar per pull - This is the reason I dislike Prot paladins the most. You are dependent on mana for aggro and you use most of it for most pulls. This slows the pace of a dungeon compared to a warrior or even feral tank a tremendous amount.

Do prot paladins get parry / block? I actually don't know this from experience. But if you do not you are more dependent on your high armor value to reduce damage you tank.

One thing I want to add. Don't throw out gear with spirit or mp5, keep it and build a set. You equip the set when you need to drink or have a long walk time between mobs to regen mana faster. This explains it more in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    Here is your warning: Leveled with and dungeon'd with a Protection paladin

Higher level dungeons become an issue. This will start in BRD, but it's not a big issue here. Any dungeon pass BRD becomes tedious for paladin tank.
    Mobs in various dungeons have aggro resets or CC(the tank especially) and you cannot re-aggro mobs as a paladin. As you do not have taunt. If you have an offtank, sure.
    But these mobs will kill other people in your party.

You blow your whole mana bar per pull - This is the reason I dislike Prot paladins the most. You are dependent on mana for aggro and you use most of it for most pulls. This slows the pace of a dungeon compared to a warrior or even feral tank a tremendous amount.

Do prot paladins get parry / block? I actually don't know this from experience. But if you do not you are more dependent on your high armor value to reduce damage you tank.
    They get a bunch of block through being crit. Once they get crit, they have the longest mitigation through Redoubt. Making them exceptional tanks for multi-mob or fast hitting bosses.

As someone who was leveling a prot paladin (put on back burner for now) and has a 56 Prot warrior. It doesn't really feel different between the two when it comes to big pulls. I have more threat on a prot paladin through Consecration than I'd ever get on a Prot warrior. Even single target, as long as the fight doesn't drag out extensively (which let's be honest doesn't ever happen despite all the naysayers) you get a quick and easier threat lead on paladin since you don't have to wait for rage. Aggro resets are a problem, but are largely dealt with by a Judgement. It is sort of a pseudo-taunt. Most mobs do not do a full aggro reset and a single attack against them reestablishes aggro right away...which is where consecration and a healer who dispels makes life easier.

Most people don't wait for a warrior to get aggro, and if the warrior doesn't have Bloodrage up, they are going to have a rough go at getting aggro. I've been complimented many times on my tanking while leveling and have held threat against a 60 warlock (in MC gear no less while I was 51ish) going hard on bosses. He gave me maybe a 2 or 3 second leeway in threat and lit the boss up. This is mainly because I won't pull until Bloodrage is up, or if the healer has mana I will pop Bloodrage in between pulls and face pull things and just tab target sunder/revenge/shield slam spam.
    Last edited by Coldfrostzero; 2019-10-09 at 07:40 PM.

In theory if you just got eagle mail*/plat with stam and int you could flex into either role. The problem is finding high armor value eagle gear as you level will cost you gold. While still having into so if needed u could swap heals at any time.

Should be possible but not something i woudl reccomend unless the paladin is an alt or you have 60 friends funneling you gold for this sorta stuff

Really with good players pala tanking only works against UD because you can generate a lot more threat. But if it's a shitty leveling group where no one is doing any dmg pala tanking just fine
    Last edited by Mukind; 2019-10-10 at 01:26 AM.

If you have any more questions, let me know! As you can see my speciality is weird tanks...