Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, anyone of you guys still creating something with this? I finally managed to find enough time (and, erm, motivate myself xD) to translate one of my games into english. Since it's all pretty basic stuff I could upload it here if some of you guys are interested in it.

Sure, i can take a look at it.

Been meaning to - but,. time n all.

I forgot this thing [RPG Maker] existed, tbh.

I really should use it. But, let's be honest, I won't.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, Marston. Upload away!

10+ Year Old Account
    So, anyway. This is not my first game, but it's the first I made with the Ace (back at the end of 2012 when I bought it). I didn't do anything fancy, no ruby and nothing complex in term of story/mapping etc., I mainly wanted to create a small game to see how the editor itself differs from the older version (as I mainly worked with 2k/3 before). I think I worked maybe ~1-2 weeks on this project. So in the last few days I translated the game into english, even though I am sure some dialogues may sound strange to native speakers (so, if you have any suggestions there, please post them).

The game is called Rivalry. The player takes control of Lielle, a former mercenary who is now working as a freelancers. For her current quest she is supposed to search for an orb that is hidden somewhere in an old temple. But she isn't the only one who is searching for the orb...

As mentioned before, it's your typical RPG-Maker VX Ace gameplay. The whole game will probably take around ~1 hour to complete (a little more if you do all optional stuff), but the difficulty is on the harder side. So you will probably die a few times during the playthrough (especially during the optional battles). This version can be opened with the Ace, but I haven't translated any of the map names, switches or variables, so they are all still in german. I still think, if someone is interested in some pretty basic stuff, this game could be used as a sort of reference.

So, without further ado, here are 4 absolutely basic screens and the download link. xD

Screenshots

Rivalry Download (No RTP Version)
    Last edited by Marston; 2015-02-21 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    *snip*
    (No RTP Version)
    What does RTP mean?

Anyways, downloaded, but can't play it right now. Hopefully I'll get to playtesting tonight, and be able to give feedback tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    The RTP (Run Time Package) contains the basic files that come with the program basically. If you don't have these files installed you can't play games that didn't include the files. You can of course include all of the files but it increases the size of the project quite a bit, and everyone who owns the Ace has the files. (Also, it's pretty uncommon in the german community to actually include the RTP files, because pretty much everyone has that installed anyway.)

Anyway, here is a download for the Ace RTP.
    Here is a version were all necessary files are included (at least I hope I haven't forgotten anything). This version can't be opened with the Maker, but it can still be played.

Rivalry (RTP files included)

So, anyone of you guys still creating something with this? I finally managed to find enough time (and, erm, motivate myself xD) to translate one of my games into english. Since it's all pretty basic stuff I could upload it here if some of you guys are interested in it.
    I haven't honestly as I haven't found time. I wish I did though so I could play with it some more and get use to the UI. Each time I start it up I get confused on where things are or how to get them to operate so I close it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am actually stupid and reuploaded the non RTP version with a few character sprites missing. I'm reuploading that version now.

Edit: Replaced the download link. As said, this version can be opened with the Ace, but no map/switch/variable/etc names have been translated.

Rivalry (No RTP Version)
    Last edited by Marston; 2015-02-21 at 11:39 PM.

*snip*
    I downloaded your latest one, and here are my thoughts so far (please note I'm going at this like a grammar nazi; it's a very good translation in that I've always understood what is being said, but some capitalization and stuff are off):

• Gustav, near the beginning: "battleing it out" line should be "battling it out".

• Gustav: "Tseh." I assume you want a word like "psh"? Either way, I've never heard of "tseh", although I understand what you meant by the word, in context.

• I like that the second fight (the one where you first fight Gustav) is actually a challenge; you have to heal and do stuff, and not just mash attack. So many games make the first few hours so mind-numbingly boring and easy.

• Feels kinda weird seeing you level up to level four (why level four, specifically?), and have no points to allocate, or any interaction at all.

• The map name "The forgotten path" should be "The Forgotten Path".

• The name "Guardian of the lake" should be "Guardian of the Lake".

• "Uag" or whatever expression, when encountering a spider...? Again, I understand in context what you're saying, but I have never heard such an expression before.

• ...should the spider be harder than Gustav? Because he was. Poison + cacoon RNG can be bullshit.

• Radaghast: "A Merchant? [...]" The 'M' in merchant should not be capitalized.

• Lielle: "Potions, Weapons, Armor [...]" Only capitalize Potions, as it's at the beginning of a sentence.

• As the text says, the Radaghast fight seems a bit...impossible.

So, I wiped while attempting to fight Radaghast (because why wouldn't I fight him? lol), and forgot to save...and I don't want to do it again, lol, so that's where I left off. Overall, I like it so far, and your translation is pretty good! Let me know if you have any questions or anything. Hopefully that was of some use.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    "Uag" or whatever expression, when encountering a spider...? Again, I understand in context what you're saying, but I have never heard such an expression before.
    *Wee woo wee woo* Grammar police coming through *wee woo wee woo*. Just kidding, I know it wasn't meant in any bad way.

Jokes aside, is the word you are looking for maybe, "Ugh"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I fixed the grammar (will reupload it later if someone else has suggestions).

Regarding the level up:
    Lielle just starts out as level 3. It's just the starting level. I could have chosen 1, it could have been even higher, I just choose 3. You do learn skills after a few levels, the first new skill at level 5. The other stats are predetermined. It's just the standard system, as I've said before, this project was a test project to look at the changes in the editor. xD

The difficulty is on the higher side, yes. You can save everywhere, so you should save quite a bit. I could replay for you so you start out after the spider battle (I could clear the cave before, but I wouldn't touch the lake guardian). If you would like to continue, that is.

Regarding the "Tseh." and "Uah!" (not uag xD), the first one is supposed to sound like, well, "psh"? Some sort of mocking, he isn't taking her serious. The "Uah" is supposed to be something like a "Gasp"-sound, she is suprised. But I actually don't like to write stuff like *gasp* or *sigh* in my games. For me it's the same as emoticons, it doesn't really fit into a textbox in a game (with exceptions, of course).

The spider can be quite tricky. However, you can work around it, because the cocoon always comes in the very first and then every 5 turns (with the very first turn being turn 0). Poison is just random, 10% on its attacks (and older version even had 25% xD). Oh, and Radaghast is one of the optional bosses. If you win you do get some really nice items, but he is pretty hard and is supposed to be fought later on.

Edit:
    So, if you are still interested, here is a save file. I've beaten the spider, cleared the cave room and saved near the lake guardian (but didn't do anything on that map). Just copy the file into the game folder where you can find the .exe

http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-...e01rvd.rvdata2
    Last edited by Marston; 2015-02-22 at 09:39 AM.

Regarding the "Tseh." and "Uah!" (not uag xD), the first one is supposed to sound like, well, "psh"? Some sort of mocking, he isn't taking her serious. The "Uah" is supposed to be something like a "Gasp"-sound, she is suprised. But I actually don't like to write stuff like *gasp* or *sigh* in my games. For me it's the same as emoticons, it doesn't really fit into a textbox in a game (with exceptions, of course).
    I feel where you're coming from, however in gaming - especially when a game is released to a broader audience, many "vowels" and "sounds like" stuff is going to differ per country. Hence, you'll notice most games actually "do" use the *gasp* and alike.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, someone streamed the game today. With the feedback I got I changed some things.
    - Added a difficulty selection at the start of the game. "Weak" (-20% enemy stats) and "Original" (like it is now)
    - Added a difficulty selection to the "Test of Dexterity". The first one reduces the number of items you get and halves the gold, but significantly reduces the difficulty. The second one also reduces the difficulty, but not so much. The third one is like the current one but without allowing to save (you get the "no saves" reward afterwards)
    - Changed the graphics first map a little bit.
    - Fixed some spelling and grammar mistakes.
    So, here is the new version. Actually, I put the game into the steam workshop. You can't edit that version, but in the future I will just link there instead of spamming into this thread. xD

So, one last time:

Rivalry (No RTP Version, can be opened with the Ace)

Rivalry (RTP files included, can't be opened with the Ace)

Steam Page

I think the save I uploaded before doesn't work anymore because of the difficulty selection. So you would either have to play an old version or start from the beginning.

No clue whether it'll work or not, but here's my game I made 2 years ago. Can someone please let me know whether the workshop item is working correctly? Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=435969901

RM MV free weekend this weekend.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/363890/RPG_Maker_MV/

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker...nounced-pc-mac
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201508/04085014.html

Basically,. RPGMaker "MV" is the latest version.
    (They say it doesn't support vista anymore sadly,. but i tested it, and it works fine)

The next entry in the popular RPG Maker series for PC and Mac is RPG Maker MV, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

The latest iteration of the tool promises to be a major evolution. Key points outlined in the magazine include:

Multi-device support.
    Side-view battles added.
    Support for both touch controls and mouse controls.
    Big increase on the limit of database items.
    Maps are automatically three-layered.
    Games run in high resolution.

A release date is not announced.
    Especially the multi device support is VERY interesting !
    Hope we can convert VX / XP projects to this new version.

Bundle stars, RPG Maker sale: http://www.bundlestars.com/collectio...deals+rpgmaker

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    RM MV free weekend this weekend.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/363890/RPG_Maker_MV/

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker...nounced-pc-mac
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201508/04085014.html

Basically,. RPGMaker "MV" is the latest version.
    (They say it doesn't support vista anymore sadly,. but i tested it, and it works fine)

Especially the multi device support is VERY interesting !
    Hope we can convert VX / XP projects to this new version.

Bundle stars, RPG Maker sale: http://www.bundlestars.com/collectio...deals+rpgmaker
    Very tempting. Also MV is on sale on Steam for $19.99 atm, down from it's usual $75 or so.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

It's deal time on HB!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...turns-software
    The RPG Maker software returns to the humble bundle store, including all the tiers, and TONS of goodies to play with

It's deal time on HB!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...turns-software
    The RPG Maker software returns to the humble bundle store, including all the tiers, and TONS of goodies to play with
    Sees bundle....
    Think I have some already....
    Wonders if I should buy for the additional packs that I'll never use because I haven't touched the base program lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Sees bundle....
    Think I have some already....
    Wonders if I should buy for the additional packs that I'll never use because I haven't touched the base program lol
    i went for the 1$ bundle,. didnt have 2k and vx yet. already got vx ace, mv, and 2k3,. but this basically gives me license to use the assets from those older versions as well.

Already had GCH and the assets on that however,. but can send those as an xmas gift to a friend who likes to play with those XD
    couldnt really justify buying the higher tiers just for the resource packs.
    Last edited by bbr; 2019-10-09 at 06:00 PM.

i went for the 1$ bundle,. didnt have 2k and vx yet. already got vx ace, mv, and 2k3,. but this basically gives me license to use the assets from those older versions as well.

Already had GCH and the assets on that however,. but can send those as an xmas gift to a friend who likes to play with those XD
    couldnt really justify buying the higher tiers just for the resource packs.
    Funny enough according to what they are offering. I'm missing the 3 character hubs in the $1 package as I have 2000 and VX already. I have both in the $8.00 option and missing everything in $15 except VX Ace. So basically the $1 one would be the only one worth it for the hubs (if they even are?)