Page 19 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    If it came to it? Yes. I'm a "home defense" reservist, military title. In Norway we have the active military, same as your armed forces. Then we have the "Heimevernet" similar to your National Guard, which is called to action in crisis events like natural disasters or war (including terrorism). As a reservists I'm called into action in my area if needs for it rise, I got a messed up knee (multiple surgeries and so on) which stops me from being on active duty or being a career military person.

But to answer your question...
    Yes, I would 100% fight against the country/countries who attacked my country or allies of my country.
    No, you're not. The public will not sign up for ww3 over this.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Note: I would be in full support of a full boycott on all business done in China. But what people are passively or actively suggesting here is that Blizzard should be willing to spearhead such a boycott, and that, I think, is silly. It would have no actual affect on China and would only hurt Blizzard (with the added "benefit" of gaining public support for their action for maybe a month or two until people forget and go back to not caring).

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Gotcha. Only what you think matters is important. Exactly why the outrage over Blizzard is dumb here. You only give a shit because it is China. As you say 1st world problems don't matter because it is a 1st world problem.
    I put "1st world problems" in quotation because they're internal political issues here in the West that people here already fight over, they don't need to do it in games because they're using them for escapism.
    Hong Kong on the other hand doesn't have the option, they know they're not strong enough to beat China all by themselves. They're constantly crying for help from the outside world and what happened here is precisely that.

Unless of course, your stance is that we should just stand by quietly and let China ENSLAVE another group of people. Cuz hey, money's more important, right?

But guys

It was a tournament taking place IN China.
    This is a whole different story now that i know this (lol sorry)

Just because it was a Blizzard organized event...doesnt mean that it is a "safe haven" to disrespect the country's laws where the tournament was taking place.

I think its a whole different situation now that (silly me) knows it was a tourny taking place in actual China.
    He broke the law of the country he was on...placing Blizzard in a tough situation to be in...

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Note: I would be in full support of a full boycott on all business done in China.
    We could do that but China will still not budge an inch on this issue. They will never allow foreign nations to openly support insurrection inside China.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Capitalism wins! Poorality! The best partner in Communism seems to be capitalism. Both start with a "C". Coincidence? I think not.

Best thing to do now is use one of Blizzard's own IP against them and see how that'll work out for their bottom line with China. There's enough Blizzard/China memes today to make Blizzard think twice before going against Democracy. Soon enough China will ban OverWatch for Mei.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I put "1st world problems" in quotation because they're internal political issues here in the West that people here already fight over, they don't need to do it in games because they're using them for escapism.
    Which again shows my point. You only care because it is China. Any other world problems should not be mentioned because they are not important enough to you. So they should rightfully be banned. Even more so when it comes from the "west". That is being a hypocrite. Only your problems are important enough to make rules not apply but everything else should definitely be censored just because.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless of course, your stance is that we should just stand by quietly and let China ENSLAVE another group of people. Cuz hey, money's more important, right?
    China is enslaving a group of people by one person violating a gaming tournaments rules? Again further shows how you only care because of China. The problems of the west don't matter so can't be protested against at all. Deserve to be censored. Deserved to have people enslaved because money is more important when dealing with western world issues.

But with China it is automatically evil. If you truly care about tyrants you would be against no matter where in the world it takes place.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    No, you're not. The public will not sign up for ww3 over this.
    What is the "this" you're talking about?

I'm talking about Hong Kong as a independent, self governing state much like Greenland is to Denmark or Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland is to England (Great Britain). The reason for the protests is that China wants the right to police (monitor, investigate, arrest, interogate, arrest and prosecute) the people of Hong Kong even though Hong Kong is NOT part of China. The protests started when Hong Kong-ese politicians and government attempted to build and pass such legislature, legislature that in effect would turn over the entire legal system to the Chinese totalitarian system.
    I'd happily go to war to stop dictators.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    But guys

It was a tournament taking place IN China.
    This is a whole different story now that i know this (lol sorry)

Just because it was a Blizzard organized event...doesnt mean that it is a "safe haven" to disrespect the country's laws where the tournament was taking place.

I think its a whole different situation now that (silly me) knows it was a tourny taking place in actual China.
    He broke the law of the country he was on...placing Blizzard in a tough situation to be in...
    Law? What law? So far, I've seen only references to the competition rules, but those are not laws set by a government.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The west has no pressure to apply to China, unless you guys are willing to sign up for WW3 over this.
    wait, you don't realise we are at war with them? iots cold atm..but its a real war.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Tournament was IN China.

By Blizzard not punishing the guy it would be a direct offense to the entire country...the same country that let Blizzard host the tournament in the first place.

What else could Blizzard have done differently?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Law? What law? So far, I've seen only references to the competition rules, but those are not laws set by a government.
    Is against the law of China to broadcast "revolution" and things against the government.
    The tournament was taking place in China.

15+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate your chutzpah but boycotting Blizzard or keyboard warrioring on some message board or Twitter isn't going to help anyone in Hong Kong and even Activision Blizzard, rich as they are, doesn't really have any economic leverage over the Chinese government. Back in to 2008-2010 they jammed up the approval process for Wrath of the Lich King for two years. Blizzard lost a shitload of money and The9 nearly went bankrupt.

China doesn't give a fuck. They hold all the cards right now.

I mean, you can put pressure on Blizzard, and they can take a stand, but unless other major publishers and corporations show solidarity, nothing is going to come of it. Unfortunately. If you really want to help people, donate to Amnesty International or some other foundation or charity that is actively supporting human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    What is the "this" you're talking about?

I'm talking about Hong Kong as a independent, self governing state much like Greenland is to Denmark or Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland is to England (Great Britain). The reason for the protests is that China wants the right to police (monitor, investigate, arrest, interogate, arrest and prosecute) the people of Hong Kong even though Hong Kong is NOT part of China. The protests started when Hong Kong-ese politicians and government attempted to build and pass such legislature, legislature that in effect would turn over the entire legal system to the Chinese totalitarian system.
    I'd happily go to war to stop dictators.
    During the Cuban Missile Crisis, everyone was very afraid of WW3 and many began to fear it would lead to nuclear annihilation. Today I read posts like yours ready to push the button and start a huge nuclear war over this. Where did society go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I appreciate your chutzpah but boycotting Blizzard or keyboard warrioring on some message board or Twitter isn't going to help anyone in Hong Kong and even Activision Blizzard, rich as they are, doesn't really have any economic leverage over the Chinese government. Back in to 2008-2010 they jammed up the approval process for Wrath of the Lich King for two years. Blizzard lost a shitload of money and The9 nearly went bankrupt.

China doesn't give a fuck. They hold all the cards right now.

I mean, you can put pressure on Blizzard, and they can take a stand, but unless other major publishers and corporations show solidarity, nothing is going to come of it. Unfortunately. If you really want to help people, donate to Amnesty International or some other foundation or charity that is actively supporting human rights.
    LOL only now i realized what people are asking of Blizzard...and i think is really unfair.

Basically...people wanted Blizzard to disrespect the country...the same country that ALLOWED Blizzard to host a tournament in their land.
    People wanted Blizzard to make a stand? To fight for revolution? To literally say "fuck you" to the country that allowed the tournament to take place on.

I think this is a little unfair to Blizzard :S

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    ITT : "Boooh Booh Bad China ! "

Send from my iphone X

Politics agenda don't belong in video games event. (I think the same about the Pride and other political events)
    What the actual fuck is wrong with you people that are defending China? Oh right I forgot China is Trump's new best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Which again shows my point. You only care because it is China. Any other world problems should not be mentioned because they are not important enough to you. So they should rightfully be banned. Even more so when it comes from the "west". That is being a hypocrite. Only your problems are important enough to make rules not apply but everything else should definitely be censored just because.

China is enslaving a group of people by one person violating a gaming tournaments rules? Again further shows how you only care because of China. The problems of the west don't matter so can't be protested against at all. Deserve to be censored. Deserved to have people enslaved because money is more important when dealing with western world issues.

But with China it is automatically evil. If you truly care about tyrants you would be against no matter where in the world it takes place.
    I care because China and their Communist party is an authoritarian regime that's enslaving its own people and putting people in "reeducation camps to fix their wrong think". I will always be against authoritarianism.

Let me make one thing clear, I do care about other world problems (I'm against EU tyranny), but other world problems have no relation to what's happening in Hong Kong now! So why the hell do you want people to actually start spouting other political issues to completely derail the whole thread?
    The only rule was that it's insulting to Chinese Communist Party and Chinese Branch of Heartstone decided that.

And no, I mean China will enslave whole Hong Kong, it's an issue that's been going on for months, this controversy initiated by Blizzard was only what finally pulled the Gaming world into it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL only now i realized what people are asking of Blizzard...and i think is really unfair.

Basically...people wanted Blizzard to disrespect the country...the same country that ALLOWED Blizzard to host a tournament in their land.
    People wanted Blizzard to make a stand? To fight for revolution? To literally say "fuck you" to the country that allowed the tournament to take place on.

I think this is a little unfair to Blizzard :S
    It isnt. They are greedy and taking blood money.
    If they had a good stance, they wouldnt host it in china at all.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    So it isn't clear that taking a political stance against the ruling party of a nation of 1,4 billion people would bring you into "public disrepute"?
    It is almost as if silencing dissent is completely different than "not taking a political stance". This decision by Blizzard 100% was politically motivated. Blizzard absolutely 100% took a political stance with their actions. THAT is what people are taking issue with.

China should be like Zion from the Matrix.

Shit boy labor for the west then every couple decades we come and destroy their shit so they stay in that position

15+ Year Old Account
    Is against the law of China to broadcast "revolution" and things against the government.
    The tournament was taking place in China.
    Just to be clear, the tournament was based in Taiwan (ROC) with casters working for Blizzard Taiwan. It was featuring players (attending via livestream) from all over the Asian-Pacific region, but Blitzchung was the only player from Hong Kong (PRC). Most were from Korea, Japan, and Australia or New Zealand.

(Also, for the record, I have seen reports calling him a "Hearthstone champion," which isn't really true. He is a tier 1 player but he placed 13-14th in this tournament, with $3000 in winnings.)

It was being broadcast in China, and I believe NetEase was surely involved in organizing and making the ruling, as they are Blizzard's publishing partner in Mainland China, but I'm not sure to what degree Blizzard Taiwan could be held culpable for broadcasting speech that the Chinese government deams illegal, and nor do I want to pretend to fully understand the complex geopolitical dynamics in the region. It's murky.

It's a much more complex situation than, for example, the NBA tweets, because that was about an American team owner tweeting something privately.

This is a Chinese citizen on a Taiwanese broadcast hosted by Blizzard Taiwan and broadcast worldwide.

I do want to say again that I think Blizzard handled this poorly and was too overzealous in their punishment. Even ignoring morality, it was stupid. They drew so much attention to it. If they had let it go, or given them a slap on the wrists and a warning, likely nobody would be thinking twice.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-10-09 at 08:30 PM.