Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why does BFA still feel like a filler expansion?

Does anybody else still feel like BFA is a filler expansion? Despite releasing patches 8.0.5, 8.1, 8.1.5, 8.2, 8.2.5, 8.3 and presumably 8.3.5, five raids, a suite of dungeons, many new races and zones, plus more, BFA still doesn't feel like a real expansion.

Clearly a lot of development resources have been devoted to this expansion, but those resources don't feel like they've been translated into a full fledged expansion.

I feel like the watered down gameplay and the perplexing story line have played a role. Class pruning makes it feel like we're playing less of a class, which gives the sense of it being filler. And the faction storyline that led to nowhere also led to that feeling of filler.

Can anybody pinpoint the reasons as to why BFA feels this way?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we can't tell you why you feel that way.

WoD was exactly the same.

BFA seems like it should be a major expansion, but feels like a filler, I agree.
    But that made me think!
    MoP seemed like it should have been a filler expansion, but it was chock full of content and major lore.

So I think, maybe the problem with BFA is that it has the makings of those things, but it all felt limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarottie View Post
    Much worse, actually. WoD became the definition of filler the moment they abandoned it and made it a red carpet for Legion.

I feel like there is an endless stream of dumb threads being created. Can anybody pinpoint the reasons as to why MMO-C feels this way?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarottie View Post
    Wod was abunch of made up alternate universe lore and had no content, it wasn’t the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    No, we can't tell you why you feel that way.
    Quoted for truth.
    Here is something to believe in!

some say it has been like that since the end of MoP, others since the end of WotLK, some say burning crusade ruinned classic.
    I say classic ruinned classic.

The xpac so far has all been filler until we finally got the real story. There was story to the filler but because it was so painfully obvious where we were going it all felt like a waste of time. Following the story even loosely you could have practically wrote the story through 8.3 yourself right out of the gate in 8.0.

Most of the plot points concerning BfA were built up over the course of the last decade (N'Zoth, Twilight/Black Dragonflights, Azshara, Nightmare, Xal'atath, Ny'alotha, Naga/Nazjatar, Twilight's Hammer, Wrathion - even the Zandalari have had extended lore since Cataclysm). Instead of BfA simply filling time for players until the next expansion (lore-wise), this is actually the end of a few major storylines, mostly including the (known) Old Gods, Nazjatar, and even the faction war.

It feels like a "filler" for some people because they aren't having fun with it, plain and simple. In their mentality, they aren't enjoying the content or story presented, so they're waiting for the next big expansion, hoping it'll be better. This also happened with WoD, since it was seemingly cut short with the arrival of Archimonde again, leading into Legion. So, you feel like it's a filler because you're thinking like it is, when it isn't at all in reality.

In the end, there are no "filler" expansions - there are simply good or bad expansions.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Filler expansion is just another empty buzzword for something you don't like.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    the "war" for me has been the weakest story yet.
    didnt have a problem level characters even in WOD, The story felt really weak from the off.
    ny alotha should be a new zone in 8.3, making it just a raid unless they are planning the next expansion
    very soon in 2020 just cant see how its going to keep players going.

5+ Year Old Account
    Because the two core elements of the story, i.e. the faction war and the lil' sword in Silithus have actually been filler. You could remove them entirely, and the purported content for 8.3 wouldn't change a single iota. Writers could have just gone with an Old God being released after Sargeras stabbed Silithus (I'd have loved the irony there), and 8.3 would make a neat 8.0.

Oh, and gameplay wise, my favourite classes are in a terrible spot. Like someone said here, they feel like an out-of-tune musical instrument. Yes, they can get the job done, but feel awkward and incomplete. And since classes are the vehicle you experience the content through, it's like gazing at a possibly beautiful landscape through a dirty, mud-covered glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    I feel like there is an endless stream of dumb threads being created. Can anybody pinpoint the reasons as to why MMO-C feels this way?
    Because I guess everyone here hates the game, and has hated the game for a very long time, but still posts here all the time and keeps up on everything that is going on in the game, but only to tear it down and call everything about it absolute garbage, but then to speculate on what is coming next, only to speculate on how what is coming next is going to be absolute garbage, and when something is announced and it didn't go according to their fanfic ways, it's just the worst thing ever!

it probably is. in the same way WoD is. Introducing a villain that sets up the real expansion. Also odd numbered expansions are cursed with the exception of TBC. But 8.2 plus 3 raid tiers automatically makes this expansion better than WoD. WoD was cut short. BFA was just rushed.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2019-10-09 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Most of the plot points concerning BfA were built up over the course of the last decade (N'Zoth, Twilight/Black Dragonflights, Azshara, Nightmare, Xal'atath, Ny'alotha, Naga/Nazjatar, Twilight's Hammer, Wrathion - even the Zandalari have had extended lore since Cataclysm). Instead of BfA simply filling time for players until the next expansion (lore-wise), this is actually the end of a few major storylines, mostly including the (known) Old Gods, Nazjatar, and even the faction war.
    That's the problem though tbh.

All of these plot points build up over years are being hand waived into ending. There's barely any substance to it. Just bam, it's over.

Because it doesnt feel like that?