Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Doing all the quests using questie is slower than farming, so farming is more “retail” if retail means fast...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm following a written guide, not using any quest addon.
    Some of these quests I'm not sure how you would even find. WPL has the girl by the broken wagon all the way off in some remote part of the mountain, by the edge of the map.
    Another one is the Ungoro wagon. Some quest givers don't have ! above their head and sometimes you have no idea you can interact with random rubble and other times quest items drop from mobs, but there's no indication whatsoever that can happen (Hippogryphs in Ashenvale).

The devs intended on people to use word of mouth for these, pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Doing all the quests using questie is slower than farming, so farming is more “retail” if retail means fast...
    If you're a mage

10+ Year Old Account
    To help do quests... Is there supposed to be some deeper answer?
    /s

I use it because I don't have the same amount of time available to me like I had 15 years ago. If I were to read every single quest to figure out where to go so I can find and kill 50 pigs to gather 10 of their snouts, I'd be effectively playing even less. And no one really cares why you need to kill those pigs or why the dude needs their snouts (okay some people probably do).
    I read a few quests that seem interesting to me, or the ones that include some interesting characters, for the remainder of my questing, just point me in the way of pigs and let the pigocide commence !

Sometimes quests don't tell you exactly what kind of npc to kill to get a quest item. Sometimes quest items are stupidly rare. Sometimes the npcs you are looking for are stupidly overfarmed. Standing somewhere for 20 minutes wondering if you are even killing the right npc or not is not fun. Needlessly annoying the people who actually need to kill the npcs you are killing is not fun.

So the options are either "look it up on thotbot, vanilla style" or "mouse over the npc to see if you should kill it or not". And I genereally choose "option that doesn't take you out of the game experience" over "is technically more like vanilla, but has nothing to do with why vanilla was good".
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

What do you mean? Back then alot of people used thottbot to get info about various stuff in the game, like questing. its not like everyone back then ran around searching for literally everything in the game without searching for info about it elsewhere. So what you had was people alt-tabbing between the game and thottbot, read up & check pictures of map where to go and do it. Questie just helps people actually staying in the game instead of having to tab out.

I played back then and I do not wish to do it the same way again. Wasting my time running about in the wrong places , in the end cave in and search for info on wowhead.

Completing quests takes alot of time already(low drop rates) and theres no reason to waste even more time with pointless running. We see most of the world anyway and you are free to do quests or not.

In fact, it made it better for me to do what my plan is for classic - complete every quest in every zone and see all there is of quests.

and why would it even matter? I see alot of peoples UI in wow is very different to the ingame UI(which I use), but I dont care about it. Why should it? Does not affect me in any shape or form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruchia View Post
    A question towards all those people playing classic and basically using Joanna's guide or questie or something along the lines of sheer content burning mods.
    Why?
    Because I do not enjoy wasting my time, wading through mob infested territorry, searching aimlessly. So instead of using WoWhead, I use an ingame version.

Also it is nice to see available quests w/o having to run into every damn house.

BTW, I played WoW the "retail" way back when TBC was "retail" and I would have done so in Vanilla too. Time is precious (you will realize that in your later years), WoW wastes enough with being idle as it is.

Aren't you denying yourself a more authentic experience ?
    Yes, and on purpose. "Authentic" does not, inherently, mean better.

I'm not a teenager anymore with, virtually, unlimited time. I played that game for years, i've done all those quests several times before Cataclysm was even a thing.

Do you really think everyone in vanilla times just read the quest texts and went by that, that everything was discovered along the way ? People alt-tabbed and checked Thottbot to see where they need to go and what they need to do. Questie, and similar addons, just give you the same information without having to check a website.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Sometimes quests don't tell you exactly what kind of npc to kill to get a quest item. Sometimes quest items are stupidly rare. Sometimes the npcs you are looking for are stupidly overfarmed. Standing somewhere for 20 minutes wondering if you are even killing the right npc or not is not fun. Needlessly annoying the people who actually need to kill the npcs you are killing is not fun.

So the options are either "look it up on thotbot, vanilla style" or "mouse over the npc to see if you should kill it or not". And I genereally choose "option that doesn't take you out of the game experience" over "is technically more like vanilla, but has nothing to do with why vanilla was good".
    like those rock elementals in blasted lands.. I have a quest to collect shards or something. Well, they drop from certain rock elementals and from some it doesnt. They look pretty much the same.

this must be bait

So I know where the quests are. They're not marked, and quite a few are really well hidden. Like on unmarked objects, NPCs in bunkers, that kind of thing.

People used to use Thottbot all the time, so this just brings it into the game.

And it's nice to know which mobs actually drop the items you're after, rather than if you're just being unlucky.

Because questing in classic is shallow, slow and boring.

Not saying they weren't. But the level of professionalism of those mods were really not of the same quality
    what level of profesionalism?they did the same thing they do today,show you were the stuff you gotta kill is,granted questie is better than the old qh and than the default retail version because it shows you on the map where every quest starts,but this is probably because in classic you dont see the quests on the minimap

The better question is why the hell do you care if someone else is using an add on?

"I came back to classic to enjoy the vastness of a world, hang out in chat, level up and do some raiding, PvP."

Then why aren't you doing that instead of getting triggered by things that have nothing to do with you? You must be seriously bored with the game or life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceirus View Post
    The better question is why the hell do you care if someone else is using an add on?

"I came back to classic to enjoy the vastness of a world, hang out in chat, level up and do some raiding, PvP."

Then why aren't you doing that instead of getting triggered by things that have nothing to do with you? You must be seriously bored with the game or life in general.
    Woop someone is very salty today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    what level of profesionalism?they did the same thing they do today,show you were the stuff you gotta kill is,granted questie is better than the old qh and than the default retail version because it shows you on the map where every quest starts,but this is probably because in classic you dont see the quests on the minimap
    Not at launch it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceirus View Post

some people just have way to much issue with what other people do that doesnt affect them outside of their psyche

10+ Year Old Account
    Players are different now. They want to consume game as soon as possible and move on. I've repeated heard that ideal Classic for them would be if Blizzard were to release every phase every few weeks, so they could clear Naxx and be done with Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not saying they weren't. But the level of professionalism of those mods were really not of the same quality
    What level of professionalism? The addon marks quests on the map for you. Same that quest addons have done for years before Blizzard added it to the game themselves. I don't see how this is any different from good old Quest Helper, or simply tabbing out and checking online, just cutting out the middle man.

I use Questie because I'm not a fan of wasting time, my most valuable resource (which is already being used playing a game, but that's not the point here) looking for quests that often have no indication of where they'll be. Some quests are hidden in ridiculous places, on ridiculous nondescript items that could pass for a regular doodad. Some quests spawn starting at higher levels in a zone you outleveled ages ago. Among other things.

If anything, my journey to 60 has made me appreciate and understand the changes retail had over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    What do you mean? Back then alot of people used thottbot to get info about various stuff in the game, like questing. its not like everyone back then ran around searching for literally everything in the game without searching for info about it elsewhere. So what you had was people alt-tabbing between the game and thottbot, read up & check pictures of map where to go and do it. Questie just helps people actually staying in the game instead of having to tab out.

I played back then and I do not wish to do it the same way again. Wasting my time running about in the wrong places , in the end cave in and search for info on wowhead.

Completing quests takes alot of time already(low drop rates) and theres no reason to waste even more time with pointless running. We see most of the world anyway and you are free to do quests or not.

In fact, it made it better for me to do what my plan is for classic - complete every quest in every zone and see all there is of quests.

and why would it even matter? I see alot of peoples UI in wow is very different to the ingame UI(which I use), but I dont care about it. Why should it? Does not affect me in any shape or form.
    I never said don't use mods. I'm aiming explicitly at mods that do the thinking for you and laying out your path.