Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimsum84 View Post
    Korea war
    ...? That's a good thing, not bad, lmao. Thank fuck that the communists didn't win and seize control of the entire region.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-10-10 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    IMO stop blaming Blizzard. Selfish of this guy to put Blizzard in that position. It was a "damned if they do and damned if they don't" kinda thing. He could have shouted that stuff on his own time or something and like ppl said, it was in his contract. (Olympic or international sport events have done the same with "take a knee" stuff. I really wish politics never entered gaming and sports..but o well free speech...)

This HK stuff at the end of it, is that its their house. China, if you ever been there, is not this evil haven for dictators. China is an extremely proud nation, 2nd to maybe USA. They might not be as wealthy, but they are proud of how far they come in the last 70 years and a vast majority of mainlanders believe that w/o proper unification, their countries success will suffer. (and more to devils advocate, look view how this side of the pond looks, Trump in power, media blasting doom and gloom all the time spreading an agenda, brexit, Canada fights their own economy...wars wars wars...)

By shouting pro HK sentiments, its inciting riots and violence in their house, where their values do not align with the west. We would do the same if the situations were reversed. IMO this "evil" regime has shown restraint when put in context with their values.

Pro democracy has done enough for a bit, Korea war, vietnam war, iraq, hussein. Screw it man, China runs different and its still their house and they want to unify. Accept and adapt if u want their coin still or give it up.

PS i have no idea how this will unfold, i feel for HK'ers but man..what do you do?

The korean war had nothing to do with democracy, just the US wanting to install its own dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    The people who actually cared about the Hong Kong situation were already calling on their political representatives to help do something, the people just getting in on it because of Hearthstone will drop off as soon as some new talking point comes up. We can claim they won't but we know they will.
    Oh 100%. With Blizzcon around the corner and the likelihood that a new Wow expac and Diablo 4 will be announced I don’t expect there to be any momentum from this. It’ll die down in about a week or as soon as Trump does/says something stupid. I mean it’s already mostly overshadowed by the NBA mess.

Selfish of this guy to put Blizzard in that position.
    I wouldn't say it was selfish. But he probably should have known that something like this would happen (assuming he didn't).

PS i have no idea how this will unfold, i feel for HK'ers but man..what do you do?
    Well, doing what this player did is one thing. It has brought attention to an issue that people might not have heard about. And I assume most people mad at Blizzard about this haven't heard about what goes on in that country, otherwise they would have deleted their accounts in protest over working with China years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    The korean war had nothing to do with democracy, just the US wanting to install its own dictatorship.
    Except South Korea is a haven of democracy, and North Korea is a despotic communist hell hole. But by your name I guess you think that the DPRK is a marvelous place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Boycott a company that has literally no power or influence over the government everyone is mad at!

Ya! That will show them and they will bend to our demands!
    So you are ok with Blizzard enforcing China's censorship over the entire world. Do nothing. That will show them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Except South Korea is a haven of democracy, and North Korea is a despotic communist hell hole. But by your name I guess you think that the DPRK is a marvelous place.
    You should read a history book on what South Korea was like after the war. One was a monarchy, the other an US-backed military dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yeah, lowkey or even blatant racism is trying to accept and integrate, lmao.

Even as a tourist(HELLO? TELLING A TOURIST TO GO BACK TO THEIR COUNTRY WHEN WE'RE VISITING, WHAT?) in the US I was told to go back to my country, I was mocked for my English, people going all konnichiwa and ni hao on me even though I say I'm Korean and then saying I shouldn't be annoyed because all asians look the same anyways. Had comments about my eyes as well.

It's a sad state of things when the Circle was one of the better experiences there.
    Uhh, is this pot calling kettle? Because I have definitely encountered Xenophobia in South Korea...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    So you are ok with Blizzard enforcing China's censorship over the entire world. Do nothing. That will show them.
    Alright let’s put real time and energy into it.

Let’s invest in organizations built to combat chinas censorship.

So please share those links with everyone on this thread.

Heel part 3

Beginning was funny. =)

My tuppence: Blizzard fucked up their response but they were right to try and protect their Chinese revenue. I don't care enough about the issue to quit WoW or delete my Battlenet account. Blizzcon will be a fucking nightmare unless they sort this shit out beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    You should read a history book on what South Korea was like after the war. One was a monarchy, the other an US-backed military dictatorship.
    I think you are confusing the US occupation after WW2 with the Korean War. Korea didn't have a government after WW2 because they had been under Japanese rule for a very long time. The US occupied South Korea after WW2 to keep order and transition it into a new government. The Soviets did the same in the North. (And look at which one didn't turn into a communist hell hole).

I can't find any real evidence of a US lead military dictatorship in South Korea after the Korean war. No mention of it anywhere on line and if you look at a timeline of Korean elections from 1948 onward there is no gap where elections were haulted. If you want evidence of military dictatorships after a war, all you have to do is look at the USSR and what it did to eastern Europe after WW2 (And North Korea).

Quite frankly you sound like a communist Alex Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yeah, lowkey or even blatant racism is trying to accept and integrate, lmao.

Even as a tourist(HELLO? TELLING A TOURIST TO GO BACK TO THEIR COUNTRY WHEN WE'RE VISITING, WHAT?) in the US I was told to go back to my country, I was mocked for my English, people going all konnichiwa and ni hao on me even though I say I'm Korean and then saying I shouldn't be annoyed because all asians look the same anyways. Had comments about my eyes as well.

It's a sad state of things when the Circle was one of the better experiences there.
    What part of the US did you visit?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are confusing the US occupation after WW2 with the Korean War. Korea didn't have a government after WW2 because they had been under Japanese rule for a very long time. The US occupied South Korea after WW2 to keep order and transition it into a new government. The Soviets did the same in the North. (And look at which one didn't turn into a communist hell hole).

I can't find any real evidence of a US lead military dictatorship in South Korea after the Korean war. No mention of it anywhere on line and if you look at a timeline of Korean elections from 1948 onward there is no gap where elections were haulted. If you want evidence of military dictatorships after a war, all you have to do is look at the USSR and what it did to eastern Europe after WW2 (And North Korea).

Quite frankly you sound like a communist Alex Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

What part of the US did you visit?

Can't find anything? Did you even do the most basic of research lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Chung-hee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_16..._d%27%C3%A9tat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...of_South_Korea
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2019-10-10 at 06:43 PM.

According to Activision-Blizzard themselves, the "Asia-Pacific" region (which includes China, Korea, Australia, etc.) only makes up about 12% of their revenue, meaning that China could account for anywhere between 5% to 10% of their total profits.

Crazy to think that that 5-10% was worth compromising their values over, but I guess that's capitalism for you! An ostensibly American company has no problem acting as a censor for an authoritarian foreign government engaged in widespread ethnic cleansing because to do otherwise would minimally impact their bottom line. The future sure is bright.

And because I know someone is gonna start kicking and crying for a source despite said 12% figure being widely available and reported on, just search for "ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ANNOUNCES SECOND-QUARTER 2019 FINANCIAL RESULTS" ('cause I can't post links, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Inglorion View Post
    According to Activision-Blizzard themselves, the "Asia-Pacific" region (which includes China, Korea, Australia, etc.) only makes up about 12% of their revenue, meaning that China could account for anywhere between 5% to 10% of their total profits.

Crazy to think that that 5-10% was worth compromising their values over, but I guess that's capitalism for you! An ostensibly American company has no problem acting as a censor for an authoritarian foreign government engaged in widespread ethnic cleansing because to do otherwise would minimally impact their bottom line. The future sure is bright.

And because I know someone is gonna start kicking and crying for a source despite said 12% figure being widely available and reported on, just search for "ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ANNOUNCES SECOND-QUARTER 2019 FINANCIAL RESULTS" ('cause I can't post links, lol).
    And how about Blizzard alone?

Remember, most of Activitions titles don't release in China, so if you include them with Blizzard it dilutes the facts. Blizzard likely has much more than 12% of their revenue originating from China as a greater share of their titles are released there compared to Activision.

No, just no. We're not a haven of democracy. We have had, and still have, huge problems. Politicians use our defamation laws to silence criticism of politicians conduct, whether it be corruption or other conduct they should not engage in, whether they're left or right-wing, because it doesn't matter whether you speak the truth or not, it has to be proved to be of public interest to speak about it. If it's deemed not of public interest, you risk going to prison for your criticism even if you speak the truth. This is also used against victims of sexual assaults when they seek justice because it's so easy for the perpetrator to counter sue for defamation.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-10-10 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Alright let’s put real time and energy into it.

Let’s invest in organizations built to combat chinas censorship.

So please share those links with everyone on this thread.

Its pretty simple. Just boycott blizzard. They will get the message. The groups of people going with the account deletion are a fine example of what you can do.

https://screenrant.com/blizzard-prev...ting-accounts/

10+ Year Old Account
    It is hard being a fan of Blizzard after this. The Diablo Immortal and HotS fiasco from last year was one thing, but when the company starts to defend arguably one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to human rights, censorship, and personal freedom, it is hard taking Blizzard seriously on any topic concerning morality. Money seems to be the only concern here, no matter the cost.

I was considering resubbing to WoW so I can play Classic some more lately, but after this I don't know. I have to think about it for a few days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope the Mei thing catches on, and OW gets banned in China.

Because that's a genius form of protest.