Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Teens fatally punch man at Maryland fair in random attack, police say

I don't recall any outrage for this.

The teens, ages 15 and 16, were charged for allegedly attacking a 59-year-old man at the Great Frederick Fair in Frederick, Maryland, over the weekend, police said.

The victim, who police believe was attacked at random, was found lying unconscious on the ground at around 5:30 p.m Friday and was airlifted to a local trauma center, where he died the following day.

Witnesses on the scene said the man appeared to be minding his own business when he was approached by the teens.

"Criminal Investigators responded to the scene and interviewed numerous witnesses who indicated that the person assaulted was the victim of an unprovoked attack," the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. "As a result of the investigation, two juvenile suspects were able to be identified and were later located and arrested by the sheriff’s office."

The massive police presence at the fairgrounds led to rumors about what may have occurred. The event's organizers aimed to clear things up in a statement on its Facebook page.

"The Great Frederick Fair’s number one priority is the safety and security of our guests," the statement said. "To dispel rumors of the events of last night, while there was an assault, there was NO shooting and NO stabbing. The team of security and law enforcement was able to respond rapidly to control and contain the incident."

The 15-year-old suspect has been charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The 16-year-old was charged with second-degree assault. However, the sheriff’s office said it was consulting with state prosecutors to determine additional charges in light of the victim's subsequent death.

Investigators said they interviewed both suspects, but the office did not release any details about a possible motive.

Law enforcement sources told Washington ABC affiliate WJLA that the suspects may have been playing the so-called "knockout game" -- in which the attacker aims to knock out the victim with a single sucker punch -- but a spokesperson for the sheriff's office would not confirm those suspicions.

The violent game has been linked to assault reports in at least six states, and several people have been killed in suspected knockout attacks.

The teens were being held in juvenile custody pending an initial court hearing. It's unclear if they have retained attorneys.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/teens-fata...ry?id=65788312

https://www.foxnews.com/us/knockout-...-fatal-assault

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cr...zze-story.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Wasn't this a thing back in late 90s and early 2000s?

Image the shit storm if this guy had shot those two kids in defence of his life...
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Image the shit storm if this guy had shot those two kids in defence of his life...
    Exactly. And why do I feel justice will not be done?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Wasn't this a thing back in late 90s and early 2000s?
    It was not that long back when it was making the news.

Here is one from 2016.....

And doing a search, will reveal several others not that long ago.

One of those most important considerations for self defense, is being aware of your surroundings and not assuming everyone means you no harm.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-10-10 at 11:04 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Depends on what you call "justice" i suppose. The teens are being charged with assault and further charges may be coming.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Depends on what you call "justice" i suppose. The teens are being charged with assault and further charges may be coming.
    Depends what they are convicted of and the degree of punishment.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Depends what they are convicted of and the degree of punishment.
    Well, they are both still minors...so if you're hoping for the Death penalty or life in prison...you're probably out of luck.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they are both still minors...so if you're hoping for the Death penalty or life in prison...you're probably out of luck.
    Lol! I know that. It would not be murder anyway. Would not need ether of those for justice to be done. Manslaughter as a min and yes, you can charge and convict a minor for murder.

Lol! I know that. It would not be murder anyway. Would not need ether of those for justice to be done.
    Then what is "needed" for justice?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they caused the death of the victim? Manslaughter conviction as a min.

manslaughter for a start
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

This is something where I think you actually CAN blame violence from TV and video games and such. Not because it made people more violent. More because it made people think that getting knocked out isn't a serious injury. A lot of people genuinely think a knockout is just where you go to sleep and then wake up a little dazed and bewildered, but otherwise perfectly fine, and that's largely because of how getting knocked out is portrayed in pop culture. My guess is the teens were being idiots, thought it'd be an outlandish prank, and wound up killing somebody because of it. I'd recommend charging them with involuntary manslaughter, as my assumption is they were assuming no real harm would come to the guy - to be tried and convicted as juveniles, not adults.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It was not that long back when it was making the news.

Here is one from 2016.....

And doing a search, will reveal several others not that long ago.

One of those most important considerations for self defense, is being aware of your surroundings and not assuming everyone means you no harm.
    What is going on with that attorney's hair?

Happyslapping in 2019, christ. IS Maryland particularly rural, or is there a better reason they're decades behind culturally?

/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Happyslapping in 2019, christ. IS Maryland particularly rural, or is there a better reason they're decades behind culturally?

/s
    Not at all. They are a small state with one of the worse large cities ( Baltimore ) for violent crime in the nation. Check on the leadership they have had the last several years ( decades ) and you will have your answer.

Not at all. They are a small state with one of the worse large cities ( Baltimore ) for violent crime in the nation. Check on the leadership they have had the last several years ( decades ) and you will have your answer.
    Did the knock out game ene happen in the rural areas? i thought it was a Urban thing...
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    This is something where I think you actually CAN blame violence from TV and video games and such. Not because it made people more violent. More because it made people think that getting knocked out isn't a serious injury. A lot of people genuinely think a knockout is just where you go to sleep and then wake up a little dazed and bewildered, but otherwise perfectly fine, and that's largely because of how getting knocked out is portrayed in pop culture.

- - - Updated - - -

What is going on with that attorney's hair?
    I'd say social media is a much larger influence than " TV and video games " in this context. Are you at all familiar with Worldstar hiphop?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Did the knock out game ene happen in the rural areas? i thought it was a Urban thing...
    In this age, anything can happen anywhere as long as there is an adequate internet connection. It began as an " urban thing " and became a social media thing.

One of them also spit on the dudes body. Used the video below because it is one of the few that did not blur the kids doing the crime.
    As usual with this type of stuff, warning the video shows the blow that killed the guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those kids are future serial killers, give em both 50 year to life in prison.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

3+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Smartphones have truly lead to an aggravated spread of lowlife trash low iq behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I'd say social media is a much larger influence than " TV and video games " in this context. Are you at all familiar with Worldstar hiphop?

- - - Updated - - -

In this age, anything can happen anywhere as long as there is an adequate internet connection. It began as an " urban thing " and became a social media thing.
    I'm not so sure about that. I think it has more to do with the widespread myth that you can be knocked out and be perfectly fine afterwards, and it's all just a big funny thing. I'd say a vast majority of these incidents are idiots teens who think they're 'pulling a prank' on this person, not attacking them. I mean, I've seen idiot kids doing it too each other, like "Hey, stand here, and we're gonna see if we can knock you out, and then you can do it to me, and we'll record it and put it online."