Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Post Trump protest in Minneapolis erupts in pepper spray

source

Police shoot pepper spray outside amid protest as Trump rally wraps up
    Multiple incidents turned especially tense well into the president's marathon speech.

Boisterous protesters of Donald Trump packed the streets Thursday evening around Target Center in downtown Minneapolis for the president’s rally at Target Center, and the night was largely peaceful until disturbances flared in fits and starts as attendees left the arena and were confronted by agitated demonstrators.

Much of the day and early evening remained peaceful outside the packed arena before a string of incidents prompted police to form protective lines in an effort to keep the adversaries from going too far.

The protesters appeared to end up at an impasse with police at S. 6th Street and Hennepin Avenue. Officers on bicycles and horses held a line while officers marched through in riot helmets and batons. At the intersection, the tone of protesters’ ire turned away from Trump and toward the police.

Shortly after 9 p.m., protesters began burning Trump memorabilia in the street, including flags and “Make America Great Again” hats
    . According to the Unicorn Riot livestream, vehicles leaving the area were confronted by protesters and a flag was snagged from one car as it crept past. One man in an SUV calmly handed a protester his “MAGA” hat.

Police employed pepper spray in an effort to quell one disturbance, and members of a pro-Trump militia-style group a few blocks away were confronted by police as they left their hotel.

A brief period of relative calm seemed to take hold until shortly after 10 p.m., when officers at the corner of 6th and Hennepin used their bikes to push back protesters and at least one sent a full stream of pepper spray in the direction of the crowd amid a chant of “Whose streets? Our streets!”
    Gallery: Outside Target Center Thursday during Trump rally

Amid the use of pepper spray and other tactics by police, Mayor Jacob Frey expressed “full confidence in Chief [Medaria] Arradondo to address public safety needs,” said Mychal Vlatkovich, a spokesman for the mayor told the Star Tribune.

Departing Trump supporters made their way through the phalanx of protesters in small groups, often verbally or physically harassed before police intervened.

As a chorus of “Nazi scum! Off our streets!” rained down, a national correspondent for the Washington Post captured on video a man leaving the rally by himself and being trailed by a group of people before he was punched in the back of the head as one adversary yelled “There’s a Nazi over here!”

A Hispanic couple wearing Trump gear, along with what appeared to be their teenage daughter, made their way down First Avenue as protesters yelled.

“He hates you,” the protester said to the family, referring to Trump. The mother, in turn, repeated, “Mexicanos for Trump!”

As of 10:45 p.m., the Hennepin County reported one person booked into its jail in connection with the rally and the protesting.

“Nobody should be violent — cops or civilians,” said Emilio Medina, who voted for Trump in 2016 and now supports Democrat Andrew Yang.

The 29-year-old St Paul commercial security employee watched as protesters and police clashed. “When I say humanity, you say first,” he said into his megaphone.

“This is about showing the world that a whole bunch of people showed up to protest Trump,” said Zach Fagerness, a 26-year-old Minneapolis software engineer. “A couple people yelling doesn’t matter, but when you have an army of people screaming, that’s what matters.”

University of Minnesota students Mitch Kowalke and John Merkl, both from St. Michael, came to Target Center at 1:30 p.m. to get in line for nosebleed seats. Kowalke called the event a “once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

As they spoke, a young woman passed by, said she’s a Democrat but thanked them for coming out to support their candidate. On their way out of Target Center, Kowalke and Merkl were greeted with the middle finger from protesters.

Many of the president’s opponents carried signs ranging from calls for impeachment to supporting abortion rights, while others were dressed in rain jackets and, at times, costumes.

Others blew whistles to screeching levels and expressed their disgust with Trump in sometimes profane language and hand signs.

A few members of the Oath Keepers group were briefly detained after a bystander alerted authorities to men having weapons outside a hotel a few blocks east of the arena.

A couple dozen or more officers in squads and on bikes swarmed outside the Crown Plaza hotel and herded several men and at least one woman in fatigues to a street corner for questioning while holding a few others for searches.

Stewart Rhodes, speaking on behalf of the Oath Keepers, said it was “just a misunderstanding” because of their appearance that drew the police response. Rhodes said he and the others are in Minneapolis to protect attendees leaving Target Center after the rally ends, a service they have provided at other

Rhodes said some in his group are carrying guns but have not had them in view downtown and hold the required permits to carrying a firearm in public.

In one of the more contentious moments earlier in the day, two men on motorbikes revved their engines, argued with protesters and demanded to pass through the dense crowd. Minneapolis police intervened, and the men turned around.

Sara Witta, 50, of Edina, who runs a small graphic design company, was with her husband, Jay, and her mother, 75-year-old Bonnie Safe, as the three prepared to enter Target Center to support Trump.

“He’s a great president and has dealt with problems since day one,” Sara Witta said, adding that allegations of racism or collusion against him are “all unwarranted.”

“There’s a swamp and it needs to be drained,” she said. “He’s disrupting what’s going on, the status quo, and they will do everything to get him out of the way. Look at Minnesota, we’re standing in the middle of a protest situation now, and we’re close to making Minnesota red.”

The three quickly became a target of protesters as they walked through the crowd on their way inside Target Center.

“Shame on you!” the protesters screamed, many of them blowing whistles. “How does it feel to be a racist and a bigot?” another asked.

After making their way through the group, Sara Witta said: “I think that was the worst of society imaginable. ... All are welcome here, unless you’re on the opposite side, then you’re not welcome.”

“I’m the least racist person you’ll meet,” Jay Witta said. “They’re vulgar and gross.”

Bob Stach, 47, a software salesman living in Savage, opposes Trump. His sign was a résumé of sorts, noting he’s a lifetime Republican, military veteran and NRA member, but “I think when you see something wrong, you need to say something. ... He’s unfit, and he’s unhinged.”

Lifelong Republican Scott Harvath, 47, of Hopkins, who got in line outdoors at 4:30 p.m. under the steady drizzle, said, “Trump is the man because he does what he says. He’s not afraid.”

Harvath, who works at Chick-fil-A in Bloomington, said the president is “trying to save the country from chaos and another World War III. ... He’s trying his best to help prevent crime and give people jobs.”

Early in the day, Trump protesters spanning many decades in age filled the streets, some chanting “Lock him up!” and “No Trump, no KKK no fascist USA!,” yelling “Shame on you!” and occasional expletives at the president’s supporters who passed through in red “Make America Great Again” hats on their way inside Target Center.

On the flip side of verbal cadence, a chant of “Send her back,” in reference to U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, of Minneapolis, could be heard at the corner of 1st Avenue and 6th Street.

Melissa Meyer-Thompson, 54, of Cannon Falls, Minn., held a sign that read “Trump is not Minnesota nice.” She said, “I made the sign because when I was thinking about why I wanted to come, I thought this president doesn’t represent what I really feel like America is about, caring about other people, so it kind of dawned on me.”

Sentiments about Trump were even evident miles from downtown, including at an overpass on Interstate 394 in St. Louis Park, where two people stood on each side of an “IMPEACH” sign and waved to the motorists below.
    Wow.. if you want to protest, cool, that's your right, but as soon as you start physically abusing people and throwing urine because someone disagrees with you, you're a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Wow.. if you want to protest, cool, that's your right, but as soon as you start physically abusing people and throwing urine because someone disagrees with you, you're a POS.

Angry humans will cause harm to those they hate, and if they cant reach those they hate, they will impose that hatred upon the next closet target.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Violent left-wingers protesting again.

Imagine my shock.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The spirit of Antifa at work. Supposedly antifascists acting like fascists. Speaking of the ones who resorted to violence.

Trump has a good chance to flip that state for Republicans.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

My job takes me allover the state, and I can tell you it's looking to go that way. The metro won't but it's not a lockdown for the DFL. A lot of people are pissed off with Ilhan Omar and the mayor.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

Good try.

There is full length videos and photos of good ol' boys spitting, kicking, punching and all around initiating violence on non white nationalists.

That's why its says "fits" in the article. The republican thugs split 2 by 2 into the crowd and started shit up.

Enjoy.

The spirit of Antifa at work. Supposedly antifascists acting like fascists. Speaking of the ones who resorted to violence.

The left acting like terrible people. In other news, water is wet. It's sad how far the left has fallen in recent years. Only a shadow of what it once was.

Fascists attacking fascists merely demonstrates how bad fascism is.

EVERYTHING I READ ON THE INTERNET IS TRUE.

LOL. Was watching some of the post rally coverage last night on shit show channel and despite claiming witnessing all this violence they sure didn't show any videos of it. HMMMMM. But stay OUTRAGED guys. If this isn't outrageous enough I hear the right-wing is trying to gin up your OUTRAGE that Elizabeth Warren made a joke about marriage between one man and woman and EVERY SINGLE CHRISTIAN MALE is offended and 100% voting Trump based on the joke. LOL.

This shit only works because the right wing base won't bother trying to think for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    My job takes me allover the state, and I can tell you it's looking to go that way. The metro won't but it's not a lockdown for the DFL. A lot of people are pissed off with Ilhan Omar and the mayor.
    Regurgitating Trump's exact talking point doesn't make it anymore real. I know brown people from Africa are ALL TERRORISTS but holy fuck maybe try coming up with an original thought about why you hate these terrorists that migrated to America, worked hard, became a congresswomen and now makes you angry for some irrational reason you guys never are able to explain.

How many have been killed by right wingers compared to leftist recently?

Bunch of snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    How many have been killed by right wingers compared to leftist recently?

Bunch of snowflakes.
    The usual suspects are persuaded that a single bike lock assault and broken windows are terrorism. Of course a bunch of hysterics screaming like sows in heat to shoot all intellectuals (read, people to count above 10) does not count, since they have boom-boom sticks and white penises. In the brain of the usual suspects, what they DO is never violent, since they are doing it. How many people screaming that Omar is a traitor lionize for instance actual slaver traitors ?

It's amusing that "everything bad is antifa" is basically the conservative version of "everything bad is nazis" that they accuse the left of.

https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/

Tracking at -11% in the state, I wouldn't call that a "good chance". Especially since Hillary won it by a slim 1.5% margin in 2016. It seems that things are going the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Let me guess : the people calling them traitors while flying the flag of the traitors, in FRACKING MINNESOTA ?

We are going to get another round of ''people in big meanie cities control real Americans leaving in rural areas'' but here is startling info : as it's people that vote in the USA and not decaying rural towns, if 55% of Minnesota are urban dwellers, it means urban dwellers have more electoral right than rural folks. Period. Even if your handlers tell you they do not because they are not ''real Americans''.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-10-11 at 04:20 PM.

So basically Trumps event after his horrific Syria decision was especially heated? Who could have guessed?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Urine? There's nothing about urine in that linked article, what?

On another note:

"Stewart Rhodes, speaking on behalf of the Oath Keepers, said it was “just a misunderstanding” because of their appearance that drew the police response. Rhodes said he and the others are in Minneapolis to protect attendees leaving Target Center after the rally ends, a service they have provided at other Trump events around the country."

Oath Keepers is an anti-government American far-right organization associated with the white supremacy and militia movements.

What a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Urine? There's nothing about urine in that linked article, what?

On another note:

"Stewart Rhodes, speaking on behalf of the Oath Keepers, said it was “just a misunderstanding” because of their appearance that drew the police response. Rhodes said he and the others are in Minneapolis to protect attendees leaving Target Center after the rally ends, a service they have provided at other Trump events around the country."

Oath Keepers is an anti-government American far-right organization associated with the white supremacy and militia movements.

What a coincidence.
    Well, like-minded people seek to protect their own. In this case, we see racist and fascist groups like the Oathkeepers doing it.

This doesn't surprise anyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    Violent left-wingers protesting again.

Imagine my shock.
    *Yawns* Call me when the left is murdering people like the alt-right does.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    It's just so hard to understand how people could be pissed how we are assisting in a genocide of a good ally. Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    They have, but when it happens it dont count. So it will never happen.

Terrible leftists get violent. They get pepper-sprayed.

Right-wingers get violent. Someone gets killed by a car.

Keep it up, geniuses. Maybe one day you'll get lucky and a filthy leftist will actually make the mistake of killing someone.