Thread: Ny'alotha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post

As a Lovecraft fan, WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.
    Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon, Tales of Madness, etc. There are lots of Lovecratian games better than WoW. You are just lazy to search for them
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon, Tales of Madness, etc. There are lots of Lovecratian games better than WoW. You are just lazy to search for them
    Darkest Dungeon is dope, gotta love that !@#$
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    Uh, no? This has only ever been true for WoD->Legion and was immediately back to not being the case Legion->BfA.

N'zoth is handled, the Black Empire is thwarted, we already know this from broadcast text.
    Legion literally had Kul tiran assets.

And this patch has hidden Bolvar stuff as well as the DK assets.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    At least that way we won't have people bitching about new zones looking bland art wise, annoying mob placement and density, the zones not being fun, etc etc. The list goes on.
    Considering the alternative is old zones getting Old God spooged on, I don't think people will be much more positive about that.

It's just disappointing that the Ny'alotha a lot of people have been waiting for is a raid. It got Emerald Nightmare'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would really have loved a zone, yeah.

As a World of Warcraft fanboy, I am really disappointed that Ny'alotha is merely a content patch. The potential of an entire expansion based on Ny'alotha is now lost. As a Lovecraft fan, WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

Really hoped to see Blizzard move the storyline deep into Lovecraft craziness in upcoming expansions. Should be interesting to see where the next expansion takes us.
    Same can be said for Argus being reduced to a zone.

But I don't think this is automatically disqualifies these places from becoming their own expansions outright. They just need a good motivation to return there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    The Emerald Dream and Argus, in particular, should be planet-sized areas. Not areas the size of Nazjatar.
    That's just not possible, not on a two year dev cycle. Classic was made in roughly 5 years.

5+ Year Old Account
    Imagine a game released this year. You travel un top of an ancient whale to the middle of the ocean. You descend to the ocean floor and find ruins of a long lost civilization, made of stones that a míithril dagger can't even scratch. Deeper inside you find a city deep underwater with a technology far ahead your own, run by faceless giants who command magic you can't even dream of.

Yeah, for me things can't go more Lovecraftian than this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    That's just not possible, not on a two year dev cycle. Classic was made in roughly 5 years.
    Yeah, that's fine, but it still should be more than what we got. So far, it feels like zones are getting smaller and becoming more vertical which makes them feel claustrophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    I just think they want rid of the "old" lore as much and as easily as they can do it. Shadowlands, Void Lords, etc., are relatively unexplored, and with all the major old stuff behind them, they can go forward without worrying much about fan service, tying up every loose end.
    Eh, we didn't know that much about the Emerald Dream, Argus, Nazjatar or Ny'alotha. We thought we knew about Pandaria and it turned out to be a mostly empty canvas for Blizzard's writers. Whatever they want to do with Shadowlands, they could have done it with most of these places.

If anything, I expect they'll do the same thing with the next few expansions: they'll hint at something brand new and then waste the stuff they've been hyping for months.
    If people complained about Metzen sometimes getting too excited about a new story and rushing towards it, the current writers are way worse, and they have zero respect for established racial identities, faction ideals and character personalities, if they need a hero and a villain, they'll force the first couple of names they pull out of the wiki into those roles. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Imagine a game released this year. You travel un top of an ancient whale to the middle of the ocean. You descend to the ocean floor and find ruins of a long lost civilization, made of stones that a míithril dagger can't even scratch. Deeper inside you find a city deep underwater with a technology far ahead your own, run by faceless giants who command magic you can't even dream of.

Yeah, for me things can't go more Lovecraftian than this.
    Are you talking about Nazjatar? Because none of what you said fits them
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

While the patch looks like fun, I will forever mourn the concept that they had of a GIANT, ZONE-SIZED N'zoth above Nazjatar. Were we going to climb around on him as a zone?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    While the patch looks like fun, I will forever mourn the concept that they had of a GIANT, ZONE-SIZED N'zoth above Nazjatar. Were we going to climb around on him as a zone?!
    It would have been disappointing. It would only have looked good if the entire environment was alive/moving, and they wouldn't have done that.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

5+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about Nazjatar? Because none of what you said fits them
    No it doesn't, but it could have been. I'm talking about the Tempest. The last zone added in Shadowbringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You miss my point - those expansions were based on continents, with diverse biomes etc - you CAN'T do that in the emeral dream or ny'alotha - because it's one location with a very specific design and purpose. Use your head.
    Northrend didn't have forest zones or titanic facilities before WotLK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    I just think they want rid of the "old" lore as much and as easily as they can do it. Shadowlands, Void Lords, etc., are relatively unexplored, and with all the major old stuff behind them, they can go forward without worrying much about fan service, tying up every loose end.
    And this doesn't feel good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Considering the alternative is old zones getting Old God spooged on, I don't think people will be much more positive about that.

It's just disappointing that the Ny'alotha a lot of people have been waiting for is a raid. It got Emerald Nightmare'd.
    Emerald Nightmare at least had Val'sharah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Same can be said for Argus being reduced to a zone.

But I don't think this is automatically disqualifies these places from becoming their own expansions outright. They just need a good motivation to return there.
    I hope so. Imagine expansion where Illidan is absent and we have to assault Argus(5 new zones) to prevent demons from freeing Sargeras.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    I am sure he wants thme Draenor-sized.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Northrend didn't have forest zones or titanic facilities before WotLK.

- - - Updated - - -

And this doesn't feel good.

- - - Updated - - -

Emerald Nightmare at least had Val'sharah.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope so. Imagine expansion where Illidan is absent and we have to assault Argus(5 new zones) to prevent demons from freeing Sargeras.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure he wants thme Draenor-sized.
    why don't? a white canvas can be have a lot of diversity storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by keygy View Post
    why don't? a white canvas can be have a lot of diversity storylines.
    It is difficult to write on white canvas.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

As a World of Warcraft fanboy, I am really disappointed that Ny'alotha is merely a content patch. The potential of an entire expansion based on Ny'alotha is now lost. As a Lovecraft fan, WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

Really hoped to see Blizzard move the storyline deep into Lovecraft craziness in upcoming expansions. Should be interesting to see where the next expansion takes us.
    100% agreed. I've waited for a long time now for them to fully embrace the lovecraftian theme with an expansion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

It's the same deal as Argus and Nazjatar. Both of them could have been full expansions but everyone would have gotten bored of both. My only criticism is that they should have been 2 content patches, instead of a single one
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I wouldn't worry to much. They kind of described it to be like the emerald dream which means they can use it whenever as often as they want in any new way as long as it retains the theme and vague rules.